U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

I can't believe people are so casual with their pet cats. Too many say it is unnatural for cats to stay indoors but my 2 17 lb guys have never been outside and are healthy and happy and best of all----alive.
We can hear coyotes in our neighborhood all the time and on occasion see them.

If you value your pets, keep them inside.

Keep cats inside to be safe from coyotes | News & Observer
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 AM

122 posts, read 94,599 times
These urban coyotes are the best thing to ever happen to a biologist/birder like me. We've been begging people for years to keep their cats indoors because of the threat they pose to wildlife. No one listened. Then a pack of coytoes move in, and a few kitties disappear, and suddenly Mittens is off the streets.

All I can say is thanks!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
These urban coyotes are the best thing to ever happen to a biologist/birder like me. We've been begging people for years to keep their cats indoors because of the threat they pose to wildlife. No one listened. Then a pack of coytoes move in, and a few kitties disappear, and suddenly Mittens is off the streets.

All I can say is thanks!
Ours are happy living inside.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:31 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,810,360 times
Our neighborhood could use a coyote or two.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Every other night I hear two tomcats get into it in my yard. From the racket they make, I don't know if any coyote would want to mess with them.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:51 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,294,164 times
There are so many outdoor cats in my neighborhood - but the owners are really in denial about this. I'm worried about those cats. Also still irked that one of them killed the baby birds in my plant. That actually ended a friendship with the cat owner.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,902,509 times
wouldn't mind a few "cougars" in mine.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 AM

274 posts, read 143,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post

All I can say is thanks!

Cats are not a huge threat to wildlife that is a well known myth! Now if you want to know what is a threat to wildlife it's coyotes. You will hear them nightly killing anything that walks in its path. They don't stop at rabbits, deer, squirrels, ground nesting birds, foxes, including any and all wildlife they will also kill peoples' pets including dogs. Watch what you wish for!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,996,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Cats are not a huge threat to wildlife that is a well known myth!
Bull !! I see dead birds and feathers as a result of cats attacking birds all the time. We have several strays that live in the sewer here as well as a couple of 'outdoor' cats. I would rent a coyote if I could to get rid of these pests.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,641,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
... I see dead birds and feathers as a result of cats attacking birds all the time. ..
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology says:
Quote:
Ornithologists estimate that up to 100 million birds are killed each year by collisions with windows. These collisions usually involve small songbirds, such as finches, that may fall unnoticed to the ground. Sometimes the birds are merely stunned and recover in a few moments. Often, though, window hits lead to severe internal injuries and death.
All About Birds : Window Collisions

"Window strike" victims are sometimes blamed on cats who pick up the corpse and play with it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary