U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,301,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

AA at one point tried to start a hub here back in the 90's but it was dismantled after 9/11 IIRC.
Bummer - I'd love that - I'm trying to use them exclusively now for frequent flyer miles (I have their credit card and next week am headed to Europe on those miles) (home repair bills were good for something).

I go to Vermont a lot and often have to connect through PHL; not a fan.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 12:06 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,993,663 times
First, regarding the OP, yes!!!

RDU remains a favorite benefit of living in the Triangle. I fly between 15-25 times per year and the positive impact having such a decent, easy to access and navigate airport has made on my life is immeasurable. A few months back I miscalculated my timing of things and showed up at the airport way too close to boarding time for my liking. The security line was the longest I've ever seen it, it was like five rows of people, which in the NYC area translates into at least 45-60 minutes and I was through in ten minutes flat; I never stopped moving while on line. I even had time to grab a quick snack before boarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
The airport itself is nice, but I wish there more direct flights. I don't think I've ever had a direct flight out of RDU - always changing planes in CLT or ATL. I lived not that far from Dulles for many years, so my perception is likely colored by that experience.
Okay, really? Sure I had a ton of direct flights out of both LGA and JFK when I lived on Long Island, but it took over an hour to get to the airport, I had to pay $20 per day for off property long term parking and wait on security lines for nearly an hour sometimes.

Now, it takes fifteen minutes from driveway to terminal, I pay (I think) $10 per day for long term parking in the attached garage and I'm through security in 15 minutes max (and now even quicker since obtaining a TSA Pre designation).

I can live with the stress of connecting for nearly 50% of my flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
Its definitely more enjoyable than LGA!!
We'd need advanced math formulas and a lot of digits to properly calculate exactly how much more enjoyable. It's almost not even comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Typical wait on 8am flight out of Boston to check bags and get thru security is ~45 minutes. RDU, 5 minutes.
We flew a week ago Friday as a family, left our house at 5:45 pm for a 6:50 pm flight and was through security by 6:10 pm. Twenty-five minutes from front door to boarding gate, unimaginable in most places.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:11 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,192,601 times
I'm a big RDU fan, too. I fly to plenty of places -- Orlando, Tampa, Boston, for instance -- where there are non-stops available on multiple providers.

I don't mind connections for longer trips, especially now that there's better west coast access, it's easier to make connecting flights to Asia, something I've needed to do several times in the past year. Going to China? Early morning one-stops via Toronto, or Chicago, or Dallas, or Newark -- or go out via San Francisco or LA. Lots of ways to do it.

For Europe, I've actually never been out through the RDU-LHR flight, weirdly, though I'm looking forward to Delta's add next year. Philadelphia remains my favorite gateway to Europe -- lots of choices and not as busy as NY or especially DC. And customs in Charlotte is a pain, plus I hate the cattle-call of connecting domestic in CLT.

I will note that not all of my fellow Durhamites' objections over the naming is mere civic puffery. The airport actually used to be named the Durham-Raleigh Airport back in the mid-20th century, when Durham was larger than Raleigh, something our City of Oaks friends never liked.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:12 PM

3,154 posts, read 3,820,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
but I wish there more direct flights.
The airline industry has a unique definition of "direct flight". From Wikipedia,
"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop at an intermediate point"

You want a non-stop flight, not a direct one.

As noted in other posts, RDU does have a number of non-stops, but they are to airline hubs for Delta, AA and United. SWA does have a few, such as one daily non-stop to Vegas.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 PM

620 posts, read 438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Typical wait on 8am flight out of Boston to check bags and get thru security is ~45 minutes. RDU, 5 minutes.
Last week I had a 2:40pm flight on SWA (I have the same flight next week). I knew there wouldn't be much delay at security, but I was surprised to find security COMPLETELY empty and all the TSA agents watching me approach because they had nothing to do. I chuckled to myself, because I've never seen this at another airport. I guess that's what happens when there's only one airline in the terminal.

But even Terminal 2 moves SO quickly! Any sort of wait is rare.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,765,740 times
We've actually got a decent number of nonstop destinations, although some have limited flight options (one a day or even less).

Airline Destinations | Raleigh-Durham International Airport

Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM

620 posts, read 438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wonder if the old A-terminal is officially located in Cary. Seems like only Beige (Southwest) planes fly out of there anymore.
Southwest is beige? LOL! I think they're the least beige of all the airlines!

Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,859,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'm a big RDU fan, too. I fly to plenty of places -- Orlando, Tampa, Boston, for instance -- where there are non-stops available on multiple providers.

I don't mind connections for longer trips, especially now that there's better west coast access, it's easier to make connecting flights to Asia, something I've needed to do several times in the past year. Going to China? Early morning one-stops via Toronto, or Chicago, or Dallas, or Newark -- or go out via San Francisco or LA. Lots of ways to do it.

For Europe, I've actually never been out through the RDU-LHR flight, weirdly, though I'm looking forward to Delta's add next year. Philadelphia remains my favorite gateway to Europe -- lots of choices and not as busy as NY or especially DC. And customs in Charlotte is a pain, plus I hate the cattle-call of connecting domestic in CLT.

I will note that not all of my fellow Durhamites' objections over the naming is mere civic puffery. The airport actually used to be named the Durham-Raleigh Airport back in the mid-20th century, when Durham was larger than Raleigh, something our City of Oaks friends never liked.
Great post. For the record, I flew to Los Angeles this past week non-stop on Delta. I much prefer non-stop flights and don't like making connections, but you pointed out the best ways to make a connection. When I lived in Tampa, I was a frequent flyer of the Tampa-Zurich route. If the Raleigh-Paris route is priced right, then I'll definitely just do that.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:24 PM

524 posts, read 1,097,473 times
Quote:
AA at one point tried to start a hub here back in the 90's but it was dismantled after 9/11 IIRC.
AA built the old red-roofed Terminal C for their RDU hub that opened in 1987 and operated until mid-1995.

I first moved to the area in 1993 and would go to the Observation Park occasionally to watch the early evening bank of AA flights arrive, and for a decently long period each evening, you could see planes lined up 3 or 4 deep on final for 5L/23R. I left the Triangle the following year, and when I came back to the area for a visit in 1997 after the hub was gone, I stopped by the park again. The evening skies were strangely quiet and empty.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:09 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,668,197 times
Quote:
AA did have a hub here in 1987--it's the reason Terminal C--now Terminal 2--was built in the first place. It was also around the time RDU became "RDU International" (who remembers the cute sign where they "drew" a ^ and put "International" as if it had been handwritten on the "RDU Airport" sign that was that way for years, when it was still a 'novelty'?). I'm not sure whether 9/11 was the reason it stopped being a hub; I was thinking it was before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or