Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,935 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to triangle area and trying to learn about the public school system here and explore some private school options. I've heard that wake county ISD has lots of going on and I really don't want my kid to change school every year. (he is in K now). Is there another ISD that you guys recommend besides wake? What about private schools? Ravenscroft , DA, TA, which one is better? We also have a baby and want to hear any feedbacks on full time infant care center. =)
Thank you!

Last edited by cinnamoroll; 11-12-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Any of the private schools you list are very good (and very expensive); you can't really say any one is "better", though there may be one that is better for your child. I would say go onto the web pages of each and research the offerings, but they all have very good reputations. I've heard one person say Durham Academy seemed TOO competitive for her own child (and this was from someone with two Masters degrees who owns her won company, so she is no stranger to competition), but none of them is "better" as a universal rule. I presume DA and TA means Durham Academy and Thales Academy--there is also Cary Academy. I do hear things about Thales like that it is more "religious" (read: Christian) than other schools but that was anecdotal and mostly referring to the founder of it, not the curriculum.

For the public schools, there are many, many threads in this forum, found by using the search function. Also, read the Wake county public schools web site if you know you will live in Wake. More and more folks are moving to Clayton in Johnston county to avoid the Wake schools, but that would be a long commute to work for most places in Raleigh or RTP.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
If you start paying tuition at schools like Ravenscroft, you will probably negate any financial benefits from moving here.

WCPSS is not as bad as some say.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Educationally it's not bad at all. In fact compared to most places it's better.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:32 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamoroll View Post
We are planning to move to triangle area and trying to learn about the public school system here and explore some private school options. I've heard that wake county ISD has lots of going on and I really don't want my kid to change school every year. (he is in K now). Is there another ISD that you guys recommend besides wake? What about private schools? Ravenscroft , DA, TA, which one is better? We also have a baby and want to hear any feedbacks on full time infant care center. =)
Thank you!
I have several neighbors who have children at Ravenscroft and are very happy. Any of the schools you listed will likely fit what you are looking for. If you are open to public schools, there are a lot of areas in Wake County with stable assignments to very good schools.

For infant care, my son went to Primrose (several throughout the area) and we were very happy. There are plenty of other good options - it really depends on which one best matches what you are looking for.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:39 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamoroll View Post
Thank you!

Where in Wake are they reassigning a home every year? There are going to be some reassignments, there is explosive growth here and new schools are being built to alleviate overcrowding. However, there are areas of the county were school assignments are relatively stable particularly for elementary school.

As an aside, I would not put Thales in the same category as Ravenscroft. Cary Academy or Durham Academy.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
WCPSS offers a quality education in the majority of it's schools....it's just a very large district that is growing very fast and has difficulty keeping up. The biggest pain is the reassignments; that's part of being a large and fast-growing district. The majority of kids will be reassigned at least once; especially in the newly built neighborhoods.

I went to FOUR elementary schools in Wake County in the 1990s. Granted that was with a move from North Raleigh to Cary included so I went to Leeseville K-1 and then reassigned to Hilburn for 2nd-3rd when we lived in Raleigh; then we moved to Cary and I went from Adams Elementary 4th grade reassigned to Dillard Elementary 5th. By the time my sister, 3 years younger than me, was starting 3rd grade; she was assigned to Penny Road.

Moved to Apex before my freshman year of HS ; I went to Apex HS; by my senior year, when my sister was a Freshman, she went to Panther Creek HS.

Our little brother who is currently in middle school will most likely be at Apex-Friendship HS.

My family is a pretty extreme example (and we moved within the county a couple times!) but again, that's part of living in a very large and fast-growing school district.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
All 3 of mine have gone to a mixture of Wake County schools. Due solely to us moving. Never been reassigned.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 PM

89 posts, read 104,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
WCPSS offers a quality education in the majority of it's schools....it's just a very large district that is growing very fast and has difficulty keeping up. The biggest pain is the reassignments; that's part of being a large and fast-growing district. The majority of kids will be reassigned at least once; especially in the newly built neighborhoods.

I went to FOUR elementary schools in Wake County in the 1990s. Granted that was with a move from North Raleigh to Cary included so I went to Leeseville K-1 and then reassigned to Hilburn for 2nd-3rd when we lived in Raleigh; then we moved to Cary and I went from Adams Elementary 4th grade reassigned to Dillard Elementary 5th. By the time my sister, 3 years younger than me, was starting 3rd grade; she was assigned to Penny Road.

Moved to Apex before my freshman year of HS ; I went to Apex HS; by my senior year, when my sister was a Freshman, she went to Panther Creek HS.

Our little brother who is currently in middle school will most likely be at Apex-Friendship HS.

My family is a pretty extreme example (and we moved within the county a couple times!) but again, that's part of living in a very large and fast-growing school district.
I grew up in Wake County in the 80's and 90's too. I went to two elementary schools (but only two because we applied and got in to a magnet school in 4th grade). One middle school. One high school. Which was the same as my sister went to.

I have 3 kids in school in 2nd, 6th and 8th grade. They have never been reassigned. They all attend/attended the same elementary school. The 2 oldest are at the same middle. The oldest will go to the same high school that everyone in our neighborhood has gone to since our neighborhood was built 20 years ago to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, if you move to an area with tons of new neighborhoods, reassignment is a strong possibility at some point. But people are not getting reassigned every year. I think I got a good education in Wake County years ago and I think my kids are all getting a good education right now.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Random, sort-of-but-not-really-related question.

When they do reassignments, do they take the age of the neighborhoods into account? It doesn't seem fair for an older neighborhood to be reassigned just because a bunch of new neighborhoods are being built around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary