U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2015, 01:17 PM
 
527 posts, read 564,655 times
Reputation: 541

Advertisements

So, last year I went off Mirena after my 5 years was up. Mirena was great to me, and I've been going to Blue Ridge OBGYN for my yearly. But since going off in July, and discussing the possibility of starting a family with my husband, my period have been absolutely unbearable. I've gone ahead and made an appointment back at Blue Ridge, but I'm wondering if anyone is aware of someone I can see or something I can do to ease this bloating, heavy bleeding, and general feeling that I'm going to die every month? Acupuncture? Massage? Yoga? A naturopathic doctor? A nutritionist that is skilled with this?

I'm very active, eat very well, and do all the normal things that they suggest when you tell folks you're having these issues, but I'm really at a loss. I don't want to go BACK on birth control because like I said, we would like to get pregnant in the next 6 months to a year or so, but I don't want to do this every month while I wait.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2015, 02:51 PM
 
836 posts, read 1,488,064 times
Reputation: 800
Have you talked to your OB/gyn about this medication: Lysteda
It's hormone free and meant to help with very heavy periods.
I got an Ablation done this year (best thing ever!) but I"m VERY done having children so this would not be an option for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 03:35 PM
 
527 posts, read 564,655 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Have you talked to your OB/gyn about this medication: Lysteda
It's hormone free and meant to help with very heavy periods.
I got an Ablation done this year (best thing ever!) but I"m VERY done having children so this would not be an option for you.
I've never heard of this! Wow, this could really be helpful to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Sodo Sopa at The Villas above Kenny' s House.
2,492 posts, read 2,217,732 times
Reputation: 3859
I would request to have your post moved to the health and fitness forum. You will get more responses and the title won't be vague or misleading under the appropriate subject. Not to sound dumb but I read your title and assumed your were looking for something historical. I'm not sure what help you need that is location based. Are you looking for a gynecologist in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 05:02 PM
 
620 posts, read 439,189 times
Reputation: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I would request to have your post moved to the health and fitness forum. You will get more responses and the title won't be vague or misleading under the appropriate subject. Not to sound dumb but I read your title and assumed your were looking for something historical. I'm not sure what help you need that is location based. Are you looking for a gynecologist in the area?
I got the impression that the OP was looking for specific local recco's/experiences for accupuncturists, massage therapists, naturopaths, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 PM
 
527 posts, read 564,655 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I got the impression that the OP was looking for specific local recco's/experiences for accupuncturists, massage therapists, naturopaths, etc.
Yep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 PM
 
836 posts, read 1,488,064 times
Reputation: 800
Oh - meant to say that Dr. Gunter at Blue Ridge did my ablation and I loved him!! (Not my usual OB/GYN) but a super nice Dr with great bedside manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2015, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
3,148 posts, read 6,963,341 times
Reputation: 3640
Just curious is your period worse than it was prior to Mirena or did the Mirena just spoil you with how light and short duration it makes the period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 03:20 AM
 
527 posts, read 564,655 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Just curious is your period worse than it was prior to Mirena or did the Mirena just spoil you with how light and short duration it makes the period?
I just got spoiled. Mirena was wonderful - after a year, it dwindled down to practically nothing. But it was awful before and awful now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Sodo Sopa at The Villas above Kenny' s House.
2,492 posts, read 2,217,732 times
Reputation: 3859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I just got spoiled. Mirena was wonderful - after a year, it dwindled down to practically nothing. But it was awful before and awful now.
I'm sorry about my earlier post. Somehow in reading I missed the intent. After rereading I get what you were asking. Chalk it up to my diminishing comprehension skills.

Oddly enough just this past Wednesday my paraguard IUD came out(well sorta but TMI). That was a fun trip to urgent care I wasn't prepared for. I'm now considering Mirena but was apprehensive about the hormones. I chose Paraguard before because of the duration and no hormones. I had it for approx 9 years without any problems. However it didn't seem to effect my period at all. Did the Mirena make a big difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top