U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 02:34 PM

6,002 posts, read 7,392,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Sorry, I was meaning those in front of the post office or the PO substations, such as in convenience stores etc. Some people also drop important mailings in their work/company outboxes (the main ones).
I was meaning those...I think. Big blue mailbox on four legs with round top. Some with pull down door to drop mail in...some with snout sticking out usually for drive thru at post offices. They used to be easy to find for drop off in locations other than post office. They seem to be much harder to find now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 03:26 PM

168 posts, read 100,439 times
This is so timely! I live in rural Granville Co, unfortunately, where I've had nothing but trouble with the letter carrier - I'm lucky if she closes the box let alone get the address right. She told the supervisor that I have "one of those magnetic mailboxes that opens after I leave." At least that's what he told me. But she's union, so she knows she can do what she wants.

Today I found a package in the mailbox containing medicine, shipped via UPS Ground. The outer envelope was ripped open and the bubble-wrap envelope inside had been sliced open too. UPS Tracking says this was delivered to the side door 11/12, two days ago. (It had not been, of course.) Who knows where the package has been all this time? The meds are ruined by excess heat or cold, so naturally, I can't use them. I think the UPS guy left the package in the mailbox, which he should not have done, the vindictive letter carrier found it before I did and removed it, opened it just to be ugly, and "delivered" it today. I'm seething! I so want that monopoly DESTROYED!

Old 11-14-2015, 04:53 PM

6,082 posts, read 7,067,633 times
UPS is not the same as USPS. Just saying.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:46 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,391,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
This is so timely! I live in rural Granville Co, unfortunately, where I've had nothing but trouble with the letter carrier - I'm lucky if she closes the box let alone get the address right. She told the supervisor that I have "one of those magnetic mailboxes that opens after I leave." At least that's what he told me. But she's union, so she knows she can do what she wants.

Today I found a package in the mailbox containing medicine, shipped via UPS Ground. The outer envelope was ripped open and the bubble-wrap envelope inside had been sliced open too. UPS Tracking says this was delivered to the side door 11/12, two days ago. (It had not been, of course.) Who knows where the package has been all this time? The meds are ruined by excess heat or cold, so naturally, I can't use them. I think the UPS guy left the package in the mailbox, which he should not have done, the vindictive letter carrier found it before I did and removed it, opened it just to be ugly, and "delivered" it today. I'm seething! I so want that monopoly DESTROYED!
Can you prove the USPS carrier did this? Maybe it was inadvertently delivered to a neighbor's house by UPS, and after opening it, they realized it belonged to you and put it in your mailbox. Seems kinda harsh to implicate "the vindictive letter carrier" in this.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:49 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,391,594 times
I used to work out of a house in the 27606 zip code. They had a carrier change and it became so unpredictable. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes after dinner! There was a time when they went several weeks without getting anything but junk mail. This was a busy office with lots of incoming mail. I don't know that they ever did get that straightened out.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:26 PM

168 posts, read 100,439 times
Quote:
UPS is not the same as USPS. Just saying.
I know.

Just sayin'.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:47 PM

6,082 posts, read 7,067,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
I know.

Just sayin'.
Sorry I was not trying to be sarchastic, but you were complaining about UPS (private) in a thread concerning USPS (govt).

Old 11-15-2015, 09:53 PM

641 posts, read 483,555 times
Quote:
Sorry I was not trying to be sarchastic, but you were complaining about UPS (private) in a thread concerning USPS (govt).
I've found in this area that UPS seems to use USPS to do a good bit of their local delivery. When tracking packages that we are expecting, the UPS tracking system will often show a comment that says that once the package got to this general area, it was then transferred over to USPS for local delivery. I almost never see the brown UPS trucks in my neighborhood.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,523,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I've found in this area that UPS seems to use USPS to do a good bit of their local delivery. When tracking packages that we are expecting, the UPS tracking system will often show a comment that says that once the package got to this general area, it was then transferred over to USPS for local delivery. I almost never see the brown UPS trucks in my neighborhood.
Yup. Cheap charlie shippers let USPS deliver since USPS visits all customers every day.

Fedex calls this smartpost.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:20 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,381,371 times
Another way of looking at it... USPS is starving for money, and although they'd prefer to get the entire revenue between point A and point B, they're ok with being a subcontractor to UPS or Fedex for local delivery in point B.

If you order something so large or heavy that USPS won't handle it, there will still be a brown or white/purple truck to your driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary