U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,250,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-150 View Post
They close schools because bus service can't make it to a street, people don't go to work, but everyone expects there to be mail service when they have to go house to house. Walk in their shoes for a day and the complaining would stop.
But I need my junk mail now, dangnabit!

And for those who may not know, the "Neither snow nor rain..." phrase is just an inscription on a PO building in NY and has never been an official motto or creed of the USPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 AM

3,087 posts, read 5,004,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
According to posts on our neighborhood Facebook page, some of our neighborhood in 27519 received mail, and some did not. There was a small amount of slush at the edge of our street, yet that apparently seemed too daunting for our mail carrier.
Surely you're not suggesting the USPS make a wholesale decision whether or not to deliver a route based on the conditions of a single street along the way. I mean, it's not like a single truck goes out with just mail for your street.

I'll say it again, many secondary and most tertiary roads were still a mess yesterday, keep those poor handling panel trucks off the streets until more melting occurs.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:32 AM

218 posts, read 221,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Surely you're not suggesting the USPS make a wholesale decision whether or not to deliver a route based on the conditions of a single street along the way. I mean, it's not like a single truck goes out with just mail for your street.

I think she's saying there was mail delivery for most of her neighborhood yesterday, but she feels the mailman chose not to deliver to her street because there was a small amount of slush. I can understand her frustration if her street was safely passable when the mailman was in the neighborhood.

We have not received our mail since Thursday. My husband is waiting for his mail order prescriptions - which he should have received well over a week ago! Thankfully, our local pharmacist gave him a few pills to carry him over until he receives it.

Our mail delivery has been terrible for the past year. We've had issues with delayed delivery on packages and sporadic/non-delivery on mail. I don't regularly receive my magazines either. I wish the post office would increase the cost of postage, if necessary, and go back to their previous service level.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,777,610 times
Our mail truck came through the cul de sac around our usual delivery time of 4pm yesterday (27513) but didn't stop at any houses...ooookay. Just looped around at the end and left.

Think they just delivered this morning though.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:45 AM

8,367 posts, read 12,087,647 times
My husband went to the post office yesterday morning to mail a package, and while he was there, he asked if he could pick up our mail. The postman said, "No, they are delivering your mail today." Needless to say, we did not get any mail.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:58 AM

982 posts, read 544,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
But I need my junk mail now, dangnabit!
Haha true! I can't remember the last time I got anything meaningful in the mail (outside of packages which UPS and FedEx can deliver more efficiently).

In fact my last delivery from the USPS was a box containing an expensive electronic device which fell off the truck into the street. At the end of his day the postal employee marked "Delivered to the front door". Thank God I have honest people in my town who contacted me.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 AM

14 posts, read 18,876 times
I'm pretty happy with USPS overall - shipping items in particular is fast and I've had no problems. No mail Fri/Sat - ok - no mail Monday - disappointed - but understand to an extent. Driving to post office Monday morning and having the parking lot be a sheet of ice and sidewalks iced up with just a tiny 7 foot section salted from front door - that was pretty bad and was quite disappointed.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:48 PM

183 posts, read 144,383 times
It's one thing to not deliver the mail. But has anyone had any notification letting customers know the mail is delayed or cancelled? I've never heard of such a thing in my lifetime. The mail is always delivered regardless of weather. Perhaps it's a reflection on the usps employees, but this feels like one more step down on the way to the graveyard for our mail service.

I'm all for electronic everything but until we are there this is a service that should be kept to a high standard. Unrealistic, I know. sigh

Old 01-26-2016, 12:59 PM

982 posts, read 544,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
It's one thing to not deliver the mail. But has anyone had any notification letting customers know the mail is delayed or cancelled? I've never heard of such a thing in my lifetime. The mail is always delivered regardless of weather. Perhaps it's a reflection on the usps employees, but this feels like one more step down on the way to the graveyard for our mail service.

I'm all for electronic everything but until we are there this is a service that should be kept to a high standard. Unrealistic, I know. sigh
I'm no fan of the USPS but I think this is a little overboard. In fact, I think they deliver on days they shouldn't deliver. If the roads are bad, they should not be risking their life to deliver junk mail. Perhaps it's time they had a surcharge for the "must deliver" and on inclement weather send out the trucks with the "must deliver" mail.

Other than that, there is absolutely nothing I need the USPS to deliver that can't wait a day or two.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 PM

761 posts, read 588,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post

I think she's saying there was mail delivery for most of her neighborhood yesterday, but she feels the mailman chose not to deliver to her street because there was a small amount of slush. I can understand her frustration if her street was safely passable when the mailman was in the neighborhood.

We have not received our mail since Thursday. My husband is waiting for his mail order prescriptions - which he should have received well over a week ago! Thankfully, our local pharmacist gave him a few pills to carry him over until he receives it.

Our mail delivery has been terrible for the past year. We've had issues with delayed delivery on packages and sporadic/non-delivery on mail. I don't regularly receive my magazines either. I wish the post office would increase the cost of postage, if necessary, and go back to their previous service level.
Durham here, and the secondary roads all suck. Looks like they tried to clean them up with a soup ladle. Worst I have seen in years and this was not a major snowstorm. We have not had mail since Friday. I guess they are waiting for Mother Nature to help out with the clearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary