U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:56 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,250,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If everyone stayed right, nobody would get anywhere, and everyone would try and pass. Hence the reason both lanes end up being travel lanes.
I've actually lived other places where this worked. Even in Boston the traffic flows better than it does down here because people either pass and keep on going, or they pass and get back over to the right. You don't get the situation, which I see almost daily in Raleigh, where someone pulls up next to the car on their right and then just "hovers" there, effectively blocking the entire road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 02:03 PM

3,938 posts, read 2,673,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I've actually lived other places where this worked. Even in Boston the traffic flows better than it does down here because people either pass and keep on going, or they pass and get back over to the right. You don't get the situation, which I see almost daily in Raleigh, where someone pulls up next to the car on their right and then just "hovers" there, effectively blocking the entire road.
I spent over 30 years living in the Boston area, and 100% disagree. I'm actually laughing out loud that you just said traffic flows better in Boston.

Traffic flows incredibly well around here, all things considered.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I spent over 30 years living in the Boston area, and 100% disagree. I'm actually laughing out loud that you just said traffic flows better in Boston.

Traffic flows incredibly well around here, all things considered.
It flows well when it's actually moving. I can actually pass slow drivers on Storrow Drive or Memorial Drive without getting blocked by someone driving the same speed in the left lane.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM

3,938 posts, read 2,673,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
It flows well when it's actually moving. I can actually pass slow drivers on Storrow Drive or Memorial Drive without getting blocked by someone driving the same speed in the left lane.
Memorial drive allows parking IN the right lane in parts. There goes that theory

Storrow Drive if I'm remembering correctly has all exits/turns from the right lane. Nobody has a need to be in the left lane except to pass (if you happen to be on it when it's not a parking lot).

EDIT: I guess I should say, all exits are on the right going eastbound, on the left going westbound. Anyhow, it's not like you have people turning off to both directions at all times.

EDIT2: Here's the infamous "oh crap I'm going 45 mph in the right lane and all of a sudden there's parked cars in front of me" part of Memorial drive:

https://goo.gl/maps/QixZX6uS82D2

Last edited by m378; 11-16-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 04:45 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,293,411 times
You can manage to the exceptions all you want - certainly there are situations that make staying right tough. But because 8% of the roads have this challenge, people can't stay right? Come on. Very simple. If you want to go with the flow of traffic, stay right. If you want to go faster, get to the left, then back to the right when someone comes up on you going faster. Don't hover in the left.

It's all about courtesy - emphasize courtesy and awareness instead of ego and control and the roads would be 10x safer...speeding or no speeding. Again, this isn't a realistic perspective unfortunately, more of an observation/dream. Plus, you can't ticket lack of courtesy (in many cases) but you certainly can ticket i.e. generate revenue catching speeders - it's black and white. Remember this is a revenue stream...a line item on a P/L that can be ratcheted up or down at the discretion of local authorities, whether it's related to safety or not, no one has to answer to that because of how brainwashed we are that this model is in place to protect us. They have done a tremendous job on this one, setting up a completely one sided, infallible, unquestionable revenue generator.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 PM

565 posts, read 530,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
If you're (generic you) going 60 in a 45 and someone comes up going 70, you move over.
Like $*#@ I do! I don't mind speeding up to about 10 over, but if it's a 45 and you want to do 70, tough luck to you, I will NOT "move over" to facilitate that. You can slow the hell down.

Now if you're doing 55 or 60, yeah.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:27 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Like $*#@ I do! I don't mind speeding up to about 10 over, but if it's a 45 and you want to do 70, tough luck to you, I will NOT "move over" to facilitate that. You can slow the hell down.

Now if you're doing 55 or 60, yeah.
I'm glad you're honest, you're not alone. A lot of people feel this way but won't say it.

Just remember, you don't know what's going on in the car behind you. And really, statistically and logically, the SAFE thing to do (if you're interested in that) is not to police the road, rather to simply move out of the way and avoid an issue. It's not your role to "teach someone a lesson" or prevent someone from speeding. In fact, you're making the situation worse.

If, knowing this, you still choose to be a part of the problem, well, you're making the roads less safe for the rest of us too by making that unilateral choice. If someone else is going too fast, the last thing you should do is exacerbate the situation with someone who clearly is demonstrating a lack of patience and perhaps judgment....just stay away, why egg them on to satisfy your own ego, you're making it worse.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I'm glad you're honest, you're not alone. A lot of people feel this way but won't say it.

Just remember, you don't know what's going on in the car behind you. And really, statistically and logically, the SAFE thing to do (if you're interested in that) is not to police the road, rather to simply move out of the way and avoid an issue. It's not your role to "teach someone a lesson" or prevent someone from speeding. In fact, you're making the situation worse.

If, knowing this, you still choose to be a part of the problem, well, you're making the roads less safe for the rest of us too by making that unilateral choice. If someone else is going too fast, the last thing you should do is exacerbate the situation with someone who clearly is demonstrating a lack of patience and perhaps judgment....just stay away, why egg them on to satisfy your own ego, you're making it worse.
This.

In most states, it's the law that you have to move over for faster vehicles, regardless of speed limits.

A law that N.C. would be well-advised to adopt, although if they'd have to actually enforce it to make any difference, so scratch that notion.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 AM

7,697 posts, read 10,070,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Thanks for the reminder OP, now if only Morrisville can get its act together for the railroad crossing. Too many fatalities happening there.
What should they do to keep people from driving between the gates and sitting there doing nothing until a train hits them?

The previous time was an elderly couple that turned right from chapel hill Rd, into an area where there was enough distance on each side of then arm for them to be between the tracks and the arm, but sat on the track. This latest time was an elderly couple that turned left from the other side of chapel hill Rd and stopped partly on the track and partly under the arm until the train hit them.

Maybe we should ban the elderly from driving?

This intersection is on the long term list for a grade separation, but that's 20 years probably. Give the NC Railroad and NCDOT a call. Morrisville residents have already spent millions a few years ago and continue to plan additional expenditures To improve a DOT owned road where the vast majority of all vehicles driving on it are from outside the town and going to outside the town.

And people, if you are ever stuck between the arms, just drive through them. They are made to break just for this reason. If your car stalls on the tracks, especially if the arms start coming down, get the heck away. That is unless you are trying to end it in which case, do it in a way that doesn't affect innocent train engineers and the traveling public.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 AM

7,697 posts, read 10,070,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
I really wish people would slow down on Green Hope School Road. It drives me crazy how unsafe the j)@#*$)# tailgaters make that road. I feel like I can't speed because of the speed trap that's always there, but then I'm getting run off the road by someone behind me. And there are often bikes on the road, people turning in and out of neighborhoods... a foot between you and the car in front of you is not a good idea.

The only problem I have with the police in that situation is that they don't pull over the guy behind you tailgating you when you cruise past the speed trap. I don't get it. I assume they can see it? Last time I honked as if to say, help please! Nothing. I sometimes wonder if that car is sitting empty, just to make people slow down...

End rant. Sorry, I'm quite predictable on this subject.
I have the same issue on Morrisville Carpenter since they dropped it to 35 between chapel hill Rd and Davis. I am typically a faster than average driver, but on that road, I'm locked at 39 mph because at least once a week, Morrisville PD is camped somewhere on it. But people roll up inches from my bumper or will pass in the unmarked area freaking out at me. A couple of times I've seen a MPD car pull them in front of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary