Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:10 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,754,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I agree with most of what you said. However, Green Level Church Road is far from a regular 2 or 4 lane highway. There are many left turns, and many of the right lanes turn into right-turn only lanes. So many people WILL stay in the left lane. This is definitely not a road to be speeding up and down a lot and acting like it's some "highway."
You're right, and so is the other OP. Where I would expand though is that 2 lane roads like 55, like 64, etc....it's all judgment, and any reasonable person would/should move within a mile (i.e. To find space, or if a turn is coming up), and the person wanting to proceed expeditiously should provide the time for that courteous driver to do so. Circle of courtesy. Everyone wins. Utopia, I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
rory breaker,

May I respectfully ask why you always want to drive so much faster than everyone else? Serious question, I won't criticize your answer if you reply honestly.
I don't speed, per se. If I did, it would be because I want to, because I can, because it's safer (do not like to be around other cars with other drivers making mistakes), because cars are fun and great cars on great roads are even more fun. There's a huge line between fast and unsafe - 90mph cruise control on a wide open highway is fast, not unsafe at all, yet it could be instant reckless driving. 80mph on Harrison through downtown is unsafe and should be treated as such from a consequence perspective. I'm a better judge of that then the government. Honest answers w zero regard for how it comes off, people who like to criticize, keep that in mind.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:57 AM

644 posts, read 837,200 times
Thanks for the reminder OP, now if only Morrisville can get its act together for the railroad crossing. Too many fatalities happening there.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,195,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Thanks for the reminder OP, now if only Morrisville can get its act together for the railroad crossing. Too many fatalities happening there.
From what I heard, it didn't sound like the most recent fatality could have been prevented - unfortunately.

People are funny with railroad crossings through - it seems like people don't take them seriously. The crossing at Cary Parkway/Old Apex at the light, there's really no room in front of the tracks for any cars to stop, but people insist on jamming their car in front of the tracks for some reason while they sit at the light. Why they can't just stop 30 feet back, I don't know - I don't think that the extra 2 seconds on their commute is going to make or break it.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 AM

360 posts, read 513,784 times
I really wish people would slow down on Green Hope School Road. It drives me crazy how unsafe the j)@#*$)# tailgaters make that road. I feel like I can't speed because of the speed trap that's always there, but then I'm getting run off the road by someone behind me. And there are often bikes on the road, people turning in and out of neighborhoods... a foot between you and the car in front of you is not a good idea.

The only problem I have with the police in that situation is that they don't pull over the guy behind you tailgating you when you cruise past the speed trap. I don't get it. I assume they can see it? Last time I honked as if to say, help please! Nothing. I sometimes wonder if that car is sitting empty, just to make people slow down...

End rant. Sorry, I'm quite predictable on this subject.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,897,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I don't speed, per se. If I did, it would be because I want to, because I can, because it's safer (do not like to be around other cars with other drivers making mistakes), because cars are fun and great cars on great roads are even more fun. There's a huge line between fast and unsafe - 90mph cruise control on a wide open highway is fast, not unsafe at all, yet it could be instant reckless driving. 80mph on Harrison through downtown is unsafe and should be treated as such from a consequence perspective. I'm a better judge of that then the government. Honest answers w zero regard for how it comes off, people who like to criticize, keep that in mind.
For those US freeways that were designed to 90 MPH standards -- and most were not, though there are exception -- it would be indeed great fun to go those speeds, yet it is not safe if you are driving 90 on a road where the speed limit is 65 MPH and most drivers are going between (say) 64 and 75 MPH.

Your idea that somehow you know better than the government what speed is safe for you ignores that your behavior is not in isolation but is impacted by, and impacts, other drivers. It may be a wide-open highway, until you come around a corner and there are cars stopped, for instance.

Yes, going 90 on a US freeway that is signed for 65 or 70 should be reckless. Going 72-73 should not be reckless and likely not a ticket. But to claim that because you can do it, you should, is to me a reckless attitude.

On a street adjacent to my property -- a significant arterial until Durham's East End Connector is built -- we have a 25 MPH school zone because there is a middle/high school (Durham School of the Arts) with a significant number of kids walking from home or their remote parking site, or running cross-country after school, etc. We have had kids hit by cars from drivers going 35, 40, 45 through there even during school zone hours. Finally, after much complaining, Durham PD has started ticketing during school zone hours.

I am sure that there are folks who got ticketed who are upset that they "know" they can drive 30-35 in the school zone and keep control. That's nice for them. For me, I'm sick of seeing kids hit on the way to and from school and that's more important than some ******* with an overly developed sense of their own self-worth.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Discussions on the internet are fascinating because it shows how people communicate in reality - taking something someone says, then adding a bit of a wrinkle, to essentially walk the audience down to a completely different conclusion.

Case in point:
"90mph cruise control on a wide open highway" becomes "it is not safe if you are driving 90mph on a road where the speed limit is 65mph and most drivers are going between (say) 64 and 75mph."

Well if "most drivers" are even in the picture, then it's not a wide open highway, as described, correct?

Also, you're using the most extreme of scenarios - a school zone. No matter the speed limit, no matter what I "can" do, when in a school zone, all of that goes out the window. There is no such thing as a "calculated risk" or "acceptable consequence" in a school zone, no flex there from my perspective.

Either way, my point is, you're using extreme scenarios to paint a picture of irresponsibility, when, in reality, I agree with the scenarios you have shared as examples of speeding not being OK.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:29 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,972,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Are you talking about a 3-4 lane highway, or a 2 lane secondary? If I know I need to take a left in a mile, I will stay in the left lane regardless. I'm not going to get into the right lane and risk having to jam myself into traffic in order to get back over to take my turn.
It's a vicious cycle, though. If people were staying right except to pass, this wouldn't be an issue. You would just signal and move left when you needed to. But if people don't stay right, you need to get into the left lane that much earlier. And as others have pointed out, the number of lanes that just turn into right-turn-only or left-turn-only around here doesn't help the situation either.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:32 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,972,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

People are funny with railroad crossings through - it seems like people don't take them seriously. The crossing at Cary Parkway/Old Apex at the light, there's really no room in front of the tracks for any cars to stop, but people insist on jamming their car in front of the tracks for some reason while they sit at the light. Why they can't just stop 30 feet back, I don't know - I don't think that the extra 2 seconds on their commute is going to make or break it.
It sounds like they should move the traffic signals back 30 feet.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:49 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,195,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
It's a vicious cycle, though. If people were staying right except to pass, this wouldn't be an issue. You would just signal and move left when you needed to. But if people don't stay right, you need to get into the left lane that much earlier. And as others have pointed out, the number of lanes that just turn into right-turn-only or left-turn-only around here doesn't help the situation either.
If everyone stayed right, nobody would get anywhere, and everyone would try and pass. Hence the reason both lanes end up being travel lanes.

What you said just isn't realistic in congested areas. The "stay right unless passing" doesn't apply on roads where there's left and right turns. Nor does it makes sense when you have enough traffic volume to fill both lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary