Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times

Advertisements

Is it full day or half?
In Florida it's a full day, but I have heard that some states still do half days.
What about Wake County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
It is full day in Wake.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:46 PM

As much as I'd love only half day (meaning more time with my baby), I kinda figured if any County would have a full day it would be Wake. With your schools being so good, and a top notch area for Education, I couldn't imagine Wake allowing Kindergarten to only be half a day. LOL

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
It's a full day here, as are the majority of the private schools.

One thing to keep in mind, the cut off date for kindergarten is changing beginning with either the 2008 or 2009 school year.

Currently, a child must be 5 years old ON or BEFORE October 16th.

The new cut off date will be the child must be 5 years old ON or BEFORE August 30th.

With the exception of YR's, this pretty much guarantees children will be 5 years old when they begin Kindergarten.

That's fine... the only thing is this : SOMEBODY has to be the youngest, ya know? If the cutoff date is in August, some folks will start holding back their very capable summer babies in order to avoid "being the youngest."

More and more kids may not even be starting kindergarten until they are nearly six, but since they've pretty much taken the kinder out of kindergarten, this may not be a bad thing.. overall....

These same children, would have been deemed "perfect" under the old cut-off date..

Guess we'll see more and more kids turning 18 and beginning their SENIOR years, not graduating until they are nearly 19. Weird for me, being I graduated at 17 and loved it.. but that was a long time ago.. in a galaxy far, far away.

It doesn't effect me though.. good thing.. my child will be one of those graduating at 17, under the new rules she would have missed the cut off by a few days, and that would have been a shame....

Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 PM

My son misses ALL cut offs LOL.
He turns 5 this year....Dec 7th.
So I get him one more year.

My daughter is actually August 1st, so it looks like by the time she's 5,
she'll just make it.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
Some kids really aren't ready for kindergarten yet the first year they are eligible. It isn't about being the youngest, or about being intelligent (although younger children may be more likely to lack readiness.) Minimum dates are based on when most children are deemed ready for kindergarten but some are not. I think you have to look at the individual child. There are some lists of skills children should have to be ready for kindergarten. However, I think most parents know if their child seems a bit "younger" than others the same age.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 PM

.) Minimum dates are based on when most children are deemed ready for kindergarten but some are not. I think you have to look at the individual child. There are some lists of skills children should have to be ready for kindergarten. However, I think most parents know if their child seems a bit "younger" than others the same age.

I still maintain will the cutoff date is moved to August 30th, people with children born in June or July will consider holding their kids back another year in order to avoid being the youngest, where are most - not all of these children (in the past) would have turned 5 during the summer and started kindergarten in August.

Way back when, I knew oodles of people with September babies, and they chose to hold their kids back.. because they feared their child would be the youngest... not due to maturity/social readiness (which is monumental, IMO).. but simply to avoid being the youngest in the class.

Really, at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

The only issue I see, is holding a summer baby back, the child has academic issues and repeats a grade.. then that kid is like not out of high school until 20 !!!! But they'd still survive

Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
My daughter will start kindergarten at 4 years old!!

I'm a bit freaked out about it actually. It really bothers me that so many parents of summer kids are holding them back because we're sending ours. I think she's more than ready although adjusting to an all day situation is going to be rough I'm sure. I just wish more people would send their kids so she's not alone in being young, ya know? Oh well.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
My daughter will start kindergarten at 4 years old!!

I'm a bit freaked out about it actually. It really bothers me that so many parents of summer kids are holding them back because we're sending ours. I think she's more than ready although adjusting to an all day situation is going to be rough I'm sure. I just wish more people would send their kids so she's not alone in being young, ya know? Oh well.

Our dd also started at 4 years old, she turned 5 in September. It worked for us, and I respect other peoples decision about their kids. Some aren't ready it - I believe as parents we instinctly know what to do.

Those of us with children around the cut off date always struggle what to do.... they say when in doubt, hold back.

I read an article in Newsweek a few years ago, that so many boys are being held back they'll soon have a majority starting to shave in middle school (tongue and cheek here).

Old 02-03-2008, 05:24 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Our daughter will start when she's 4 too. Her birthday is in September. I just had my parent teacher conference and her teacher (who recommended almost half her class do a year of transition) told me she was absolutely ready socially and academically. My choice then is I can hold her back and have her at the very top of her class in a system that I don't believe does a good job with gifted children or I can let her go and be one of the youngest. Also, I grew up in CT where the cutoff is December 31. My close group of friends for some reason mainly consisted of girls born in October, November and December (and somehow a few born in January that must have been tested to get into Kindergarten early). We all excelled academically and socially. Also, I've heard that a 6 year old girl is about 6 months ahead of a 6 year old boy.

As far as the half day thing goes, I wouldn't personally think there's a correlation between good school systems and full day kindergarten (I can think of many much better school systems than Wake County that do half day), but that's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary