U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 06:19 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,214,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think his original question was about whether more Wal-Marts would install them, not the benefits or drawbacks of self checkouts in general

I am guessing that the reason the New Hope W-M doesn't have them is theft; I know that grocery stores don't always have self checkouts in what ever consider high-shrink areas ("Shrink" is retail lingo for "theft"), such as the Food Lion near Brier Creek (which surprises me, frankly, because that's one of the newest FLs in the area and it's not as if Brier Creek is sketchy). From the few times I've been in that New Hope WM, I'm not surprised that they probably have stricter loss prevention tactics there. It is frankly not exactly in the swankiest part of town.
Funny thing is, years ago that was "North" Raleigh......
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I agree, never a problem at Walmart self checkout. I do always have problems at the Harris Teeter checkout. You bump into the bagging area by mistake and you get "Remove the last item" and have to stand there until a clerk (usually working another line) resets the machine. Walmart's self checkout is more forgiving.

Obviously the scale in the bagging area weighs items to ensure there is no theft but I always found it funny that no matter what stereotype Walmart customers have, they trust their customers more than Harris Teeter.
No what's funnier is that Wal-Mart trusts their customers way more then their employees!

They are more likely to let a cart full of stolen goods go out the door while interrogating an employee over receipts for ink pins,drinks or snacks. They spend way more time monitoring the cameras over each register and the storeroom then ever on the retail floor or the self checkouts.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:27 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,220,119 times
The newish FoodLion on Leesville Rd....only been in there once, late one evening on a weeknight. I was very surprised at the atmosphere, not at all what I expected. Seemed like a "rough crowd". 180* different from the HT just down the road.

As to the problems with self checkouts, for years I refused to use them. Many of them are just too buggy. The ones at BJs are the worst. You end up running back and forth down the belt to retrieve things or move things. Any of them that use scales are horrible and aggravating. "Please place the item in the bagging area". "Please place the item in the bagging area". "Please rescan the last item". "Please wait for customer assistance". Item weighs 2 ozs, won't tip scale.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:33 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,065,903 times
I like self-checkout 'cause I usually keep my coupons and use them again. YMMV

Old 11-18-2015, 07:33 PM

3,148 posts, read 6,959,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
The newish FoodLion on Leesville Rd....only been in there once, late one evening on a weeknight. I was very surprised at the atmosphere, not at all what I expected. Seemed like a "rough crowd". 180* different from the HT just down the road.

As to the problems with self checkouts, for years I refused to use them. Many of them are just too buggy. The ones at BJs are the worst. You end up running back and forth down the belt to retrieve things or move things. Any of them that use scales are horrible and aggravating. "Please place the item in the bagging area". "Please place the item in the bagging area". "Please rescan the last item". "Please wait for customer assistance". Item weighs 2 ozs, won't tip scale.

Food Lion, in my opinion, remodeled to cater to folks from the 'hood. The store is so ghetto now. I've only been inside a F/L maybe 4-5 times tops since the remodel. Either the prices are higher now at F/L or the prices at H/T have gone down but H/T is about the only store I shop at now. Well, I will go into Lowe's foods to grab an item or two since it is nicer since their remodel but the last time I went the guy who bagged my groceries refused to let me push my own cart to the car until I finally had to step between him and my car halfway across the parking lot which he then said okay and proceeded to have his hand out expecting a tip. Not sure if Lowe's foods is now allowing their employees to accept tips but that was a big turn-off to me.

As for the self check-outs I refuse to use them simply because they cost jobs. Although I understand why businesses are going to them especially since the inception of mandated health care and the possibility of $15 minimum wage. I imagine once the minimum wage is bumped that high self check-outs will be the only way to go.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:57 AM

First I find it hard to believe that the FL on Leesville rd was full of rough characters. I used to sometimes shop at the one on Raleigh Blvd and though I would classify a few in that category, it wasn't the majority. What the fear factor in a grocery store? Is someone going to jack your corn flakes from your cart?

I've got some complaints about Lowe's but I've never encountered any of their employees asking for tips. If I'm not wrong I've always heard that most stores can no longer accept them. I will admit sometimes them and HT go a little overboard with the niceties. But it could be much worse.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:31 AM

5,994 posts, read 7,375,564 times
I shop Food Lion on Six Forks at Millbrook often...don't see any of that stuff really.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:20 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
First I find it hard to believe that the FL on Leesville rd was full of rough characters. I used to sometimes shop at the one on Raleigh Blvd and though I would classify a few in that category, it wasn't the majority. What the fear factor in a grocery store? Is someone going to jack your corn flakes from your cart?

The parking lot was hopping with people, at 9pm. People who were not shopping. I felt like I was at the Food Lion on Capital near Mini-City, more so than on Leesville Rd. Not at all what I expected as I stopped in on my way home one evening from Brier Creek, to grab a few things. Lots of "loitering", cars with really loud music, etc.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:52 PM

4,054 posts, read 5,562,393 times
Quote:
The parking lot was hopping with people, at 9pm. People who were not shopping. I felt like I was at the Food Lion on Capital near Mini-City, more so than on Leesville Rd. Not at all what I expected as I stopped in on my way home one evening from Brier Creek, to grab a few things. Lots of "loitering", cars with really loud music, etc.
Nothing you've described would make me nervous. Is there something you're not telling us?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:54 PM

41 posts, read 44,598 times
Quote:
I personally love this Food Lion and have been going for over 10 years with never an issue with the "crowd". The new layout/remodel is great and will continue going back. Always have nice and friendly workers and the parking lot itself is fine. From the Nail place to the Chinese to the Subway and Gym. Never a "rough crowd" or any crime. Would go there any time day or night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary