Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:42 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times

Advertisements

I have about 200 Beanie Babies and about 25 Ty Attic Treasure stuffed animals that I'd like to donate.

I don't want to give them to Goodwill.

Are there any churches in the area that are collecting toys for Christmas?

I'm in Raleigh but can drive to a surrounding town/city.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Since you have so many, you might want to check with the local police/sheriff's offices because they give them to young children involved in accidents or other traumatic events to help calm their fears etc. Not 100% sure if the LEO's in this area do that but it's worth a phone call to find out.

This older post on the same subject may help too....

Place to donate stuffed animals?

Last edited by Starglow; 11-09-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Put them on Craigslist for free. Most places won't accept them due to sanitation concerns. Bedbugs,fleas,mites.....

And whatever you do, please don't just give them to a kid without asking the parents. I can't tell you how many " "good intentioned" people dropped off bags of stuffed animals for my daughter without asking. I hated to be unappreciative but I hated getting those smelly floor clutter. I admit sometimes id just drop it in the trash,as soon as they left. Am I alone on this?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:39 AM

I have found a few shelters, etc. that want them.

I want them to be GIVEN to kids that will enjoy them, not SOLD.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 AM
jhk

108 posts, read 256,106 times
We will take them

Old 11-10-2015, 09:11 AM

115 posts, read 135,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
And whatever you do, please don't just give them to a kid without asking the parents. I can't tell you how many " "good intentioned" people dropped off bags of stuffed animals for my daughter without asking. I hated to be unappreciative but I hated getting those smelly floor clutter. I admit sometimes id just drop it in the trash,as soon as they left. Am I alone on this?
My oldest LOVED stuffed animals. Had a ton. So the logic of friends and family was somehow that she needed MORE! We had to go on the offensive about it. We told F/F not to give her any, and that if they did it anyway they should know it would be "donated" within a few weeks. (Donated to my trash can)

Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 AM

187 posts, read 345,383 times
Vicki - I put a box of Beanie Babies on Craigslist recently and they were taken by a music teacher in Apex who intended to incorporate them into her music classes for the elementary schools. I'm sure she could use more. If you're interested in this route, PM me and I'll dig up her contact info for you.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetelf View Post
Vicki - I put a box of Beanie Babies on Craigslist recently and they were taken by a music teacher in Apex who intended to incorporate them into her music classes for the elementary schools. I'm sure she could use more. If you're interested in this route, PM me and I'll dig up her contact info for you.
Thanks, Sweetelf!

I have them all spoken for.

There is a woman's/children shelter in Louisburg...half are going there. The other half are going to Walnut Terrace as someone I know is participating in a Christmas "Angel Tree" party, there.

I hope the kids will enjoy them!

I try not to just throw away things that I know others that are less fortunate may use. I would never take brand new stuffed animals and toss them into the trash when there are so many kids that do without. Imagine how happy that would make a child that has nothing for Christmas. Getting down from soapbox now.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Yes, some places won't take something like that "used" due to worries of sanitation (which frankly is ridiculous, especially when they can inspect them, themselves. Glad you found somewhere to take them, and glad some Beanie Babies are actually going to be played with instead of used as a "retirement fund" as so many of them once were

Old 11-10-2015, 11:14 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, some places won't take something like that "used" due to worries of sanitation (which frankly is ridiculous, especially when they can inspect them, themselves. Glad you found somewhere to take them, and glad some Beanie Babies are actually going to be played with instead of used as a "retirement fund" as so many of them once were
I get your point. Trust me I'm a stickler about throwing things away that could have another use. However do you actually think the employees of thrift shops are conscientious or even trained how to spot tainted stuffed animals? It's not hard to imagine that Suzy doing her community service hours at Cause for Paws, isn't going to check all the inseams and make sure none of the plastic eyes etc.. are loose or there isn't bed bugs inside it. Stores have made the decision that the profit isn't worth the effort. With stuffed animals,I understand why.

Vicki please know I'm not insinuating your beanie babies fall into that category. I actually didn't read who the post came from. My mother has a big collection of Steiff and Gund Bears that I will one day need to find a home. So I get your dilemma. I've just seen my fair share of supposedly donatable items and the toss or keep decision seems to be,very subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary