U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 PM

88 posts, read 154,023 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, has anyone had a tankless installed recently? Which plumber did you use, and how much did it cost you "out the door"?

I know there are varying opinions on tankless versus traditional. However, my current water heater is directly above my master bedroom (bed to be exact) and we had a resident in our neighborhood experience $20k worth of damage when their hot water heater in the attic decided to blow. I'm seriously considering spending the money now so I don't have the same headache.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 5,505 times
We have a nearly identical story. We had two 40 gallon tanks in the attic and heard stories of neighbors that had tanks burst in their attic. We decided to get a tankless and move it to the garage. We just bought the house a year ago and knew going into it that we'd be doing this. Anyway, we're about a month in now and it's working well so far - no complaints. We used R&S plumbing (Roman). He did a good job with it. We got 4 quotes and they averaged $3000 (but all really close in price). For reference, we got a Rinnai 94i. The price can go up or down depending on model/type used. And I assume the size of house could also influence price. We have a 2 story around 3000 sq/ft.

If I were you, I would call out a few people for quotes. Even though the price we were quoted was nearly identical from each plumber, the level of service seemed to vary along with their opinions about where the new unit should go. For instance, one of the plumbers said he preferred to have the homeowner pull the permits for the job. I'm sure that's not too difficult but I've never done it before, so we opted for someone that did all that for us. You also might need an electrician depending on where the new unit will go (but I think usually the plumber has someone he works with or bigger outfits may have an electrician on staff). You'll actually learn a lot by calling a few people out.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:56 AM

620 posts, read 437,683 times
The biggest factor that will go into price is the venting of the unit. I looked into getting a tankless unit, but because of the location within the house (interior wall), venting would involve the plumber bringing in a subcontractor to do the roof work. IIRC, my quotes were in the $4000-5000 range. I had the option to relocate it to a spot that would be much easier to vent, but the unit would have been farther away from the master bath, which would have meant a long wait for hot water.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,190,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv333 View Post
Hey guys, has anyone had a tankless installed recently? Which plumber did you use, and how much did it cost you "out the door"?

I know there are varying opinions on tankless versus traditional. However, my current water heater is directly above my master bedroom (bed to be exact) and we had a resident in our neighborhood experience $20k worth of damage when their hot water heater in the attic decided to blow. I'm seriously considering spending the money now so I don't have the same headache.

Thanks!
I can't remember our cost (it was part of a whole house rehab), but we used Carolina Plumbing & Water Systems out of Mebane for repairs after there were problems with the original installation. We had sporadically failing hot water due to a blocked exhaust made out of the wrong material!

Carolina Plumbing & Water did an AWESOME job fixing something even the regional Rinnai rep couldn't and were very affordable. I would highly recommend them.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 11-17-2015, 04:55 PM

33,029 posts, read 12,488,458 times
We hired Pool Plumbing several years ago. They did a great job.

Love our tankless unit. When everyone is home, the showers and washing machine run constantly and we never run out.

Don't recall what it cost, but it was worth it.

We have Pooles come out once a year and flush out the system.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM

33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Poole's installed a tankless Rinnai (with recirc) for us a few months ago. I'll have to check on the price, but we do enjoy the unit. 0

Old 11-17-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Poole's installed a tankless Rinnai (with recirc) for us a few months ago. I'll have to check on the price, but we do enjoy the unit. 0
Yes, please let me know how much. Was it gas?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 PM

33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv333 View Post
Yes, please let me know how much. Was it gas?
Just checked the quote. Was $3245 for Rinnai tankless RUR98. Added recirc (additional $870), and conversion of gas line from 1/2 pound to 2 pound.

The house is just under 4500 sq ft.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:00 PM

860 posts, read 1,369,963 times
Rinnai tankless RL75i installed about 2 years ago for $2800 by Cary Plumbing after direct vent WH sprung a leak. Extremely satisfied with the installation. WH was previously a direct vent unit and was installed on an exterior wall in the garage, and the gas lines were already 2PSI, so this was about as straightforward as these installations can be.

I took the floor space immediately under the wall-mounted tankless (where the old water heater was previously installed) and put in a utility sink - something which I always wanted anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary