U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:14 AM

88 posts, read 154,108 times

Advertisements

And let's not forget about the Somalian refugees in Minnesota, which has had ties to some followers as well.

Back to the OP's post......your friend isn't exactly accurate. It's not like someone came along and said "hey, put these on your police cars so we can collect data". The LPR's make it a lot easier for an officer on patrol to scan license plates, like they did before the LPR's were in place. Every officer I know, when they would get to a traffic light or even just be riding down the road, would run license plates on their computers to see if the driver is wanted, if there's insurance on the car, etc. It's called pro-active policing. Would you rather the men and women in blue sit back and just answer each 911 call that came in, and that's it? I doubt it.

I don't do anything wrong, so I really don't care. Yup, I go to Home Depot once a weekend, Oh no, watch out, I was spotted in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot getting coffee!!! Oh the humanity!

Old 11-17-2015, 06:50 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,819,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv333 View Post
Every officer I know, when they would get to a traffic light or even just be riding down the road, would run license plates on their computers to see if the driver is wanted, if there's insurance on the car, etc. It's called pro-active policing.
Sounds like a violation of the 4th amendment, but I also think the same about the "license checks" where they stop everyone.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 AM

10,706 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
If the FBI wants to learn that I went to Target a few too many times last month, whatev.
It's not just about that. Governments are building large databases with your movements, this is ripe for abuse from insiders.

https://www.aclu.org/feature/you-are-being-tracked

Keep in mind a recent Supreme court ruling banning the use of GPS trackers in lieu of actual people who follow your movements by law enforcement. This is similar to the argument where these scanners are simply a faster means of manually inputting the data.

Privacy is a big deal in the US.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:59 AM

972 posts, read 536,963 times
This is not meant to sound snarky or judgemental, I just don't understand the paranoia of people.

Scan my plates, whatever. I know how I live my life and I also know that any information obtained in public as I go about my business doesn't bother me.

People say their "freedoms" are at stake - is it truly freedom if you're on paranoid alert 24/7?

I live my life, whatever happens is going to happen whether my license plates were scanned or not.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:00 AM

620 posts, read 438,068 times
Still not feeling the outrage.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:04 AM

742 posts, read 746,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's not just about that. Governments are building large databases with your movements, this is ripe for abuse from insiders.

https://www.aclu.org/feature/you-are-being-tracked

Keep in mind a recent Supreme court ruling banning the use of GPS trackers in lieu of actual people who follow your movements by law enforcement. This is similar to the argument where these scanners are simply a faster means of manually inputting the data.

Privacy is a big deal in the US.
They also aren't doing a very good job of securing these databases. The data can also end up in public records. So it isn't just the good guys keeping tabs on you.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...from-the-cops/

Old 11-17-2015, 11:09 AM

Regarding the comments above:

Assume...
1.) Police are logging license plates in a parking garage.
2.) Database is not secured.

Ok, then what? People have a list of license plates. I could walk around the parking garage at work and write down everyone's license plate. I could drop my notepad. It's not like a license plate is top secret information.

Is there outrage that the NC DOT takes pictures of license plates to send you a toll in the mail?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM

10,706 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
This is not meant to sound snarky or judgemental, I just don't understand the paranoia of people.

Scan my plates, whatever. I know how I live my life and I also know that any information obtained in public as I go about my business doesn't bother me.

People say their "freedoms" are at stake - is it truly freedom if you're on paranoid alert 24/7?

I live my life, whatever happens is going to happen whether my license plates were scanned or not.
Well I'm not a criminal but off the top of my head I can think of a great use of a database of movements. Assuming the data becomes publically available or is easily obtained by nefarious ways, one can determine who travels where between what times and make a list of houses to hit while they are empty.

Yes, you can do the same thing by "casing" the joint but that is quite a bit more obvious, and time consuming.

Privacy is a huge tenant of a free society. Without privacy you really aren't free. While I don't wear a tinfoil hat I certainly appreciate everyone who does and who goes to bat to keep data from government hands. History is full of repeated examples of why it's important to keep government small and out of the data collection business.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,997,362 times
Quote:
Well I'm not a criminal but off the top of my head I can think of a great use of a database of movements. Assuming the data becomes publically available or is easily obtained by nefarious ways, one can determine who travels where between what times and make a list of houses to hit while they are empty..
You're kidding ... right ?? please tell me you're kidding

Old 11-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Well I'm not a criminal but off the top of my head I can think of a great use of a database of movements. Assuming the data becomes publically available or is easily obtained by nefarious ways, one can determine who travels where between what times and make a list of houses to hit while they are empty.
I'm still not understanding what is gleaned from this "database" that cannot be observed with one's own eyes. So the database "timestamps" that I was at the Raleigh Parking Deck at 12:23 on 11/17/2015. There would need to be multiple "sweeps" on multiple days in order to establish a pattern, I assume.

Assuming that RPD has nothing better to do than to scan the parking garages multiple times per day, multiple days per week, to set up a pattern AND then to further your argument the data is publically made available - it shows that Monday through Friday I am away from my home from 7:00 - 5:30. Information that would be given up just about anywhere that I willingly gave my employment status. Or from the neighbors who see me leave every day. Or from the cop that sits outside my driveway nabbing people who don't stop at the stop sign. Or from the girl at Dunkin Donuts. Heck, I willingly just shared that with millions of people on C-D forums.

To get to the nuts and the bolts of my curiosity: I live my life according to the law. Assuming my license plate is scanned AND it is made publically available, what should I be concerned with?

Last edited by BoSox 15; 11-17-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary