U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:45 PM

54 posts, read 30,129 times

Advertisements

This may sound a little odd, but I'd like to know possible activities on Thanksgiving.
I'll be passing by on way to home (Europe) from a business trip, and arriving Wednesday evening. Staying until Sunday, but there will be Thanksgiving and Black Friday in-between.
Besides driving around to check the area: Are restaurants open? Is there any special activity going on due to the holiday?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 03:17 PM

6,395 posts, read 4,487,505 times
Irish Pubs are almost always open (as are Chinese and some other ethnic places). Sadly, Tir Na Nog is closing for good on 11/24, just a couple days before T-day. It's a good place to hang with the other heathens (said with a wink). My guess is most 'drinking friendly establishments will be open that night, and Friday will be wide open.

For Friday, I plan to do a long walk on the Nuese River Trail, explore falls dam for a while, and then have a pint or two at White Street in Wake Forest (quaint town, with a few old-school places to get food). Just something different to show the family, and to get out and burn off some turkey...

Old 11-18-2015, 02:29 PM

54 posts, read 30,129 times
Thanks! Sounds like I'll at least not stay thirsty.
How about stores and business in general on Black Friday? Is everything open as usual? I'm aware of the Black Friday shopping craze, but would like to know if that means only shops with special sales will be open or if Friday is basically a normal business day for everything.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:32 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,879,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkus View Post
Thanks! Sounds like I'll at least not stay thirsty.
How about stores and business in general on Black Friday? Is everything open as usual? I'm aware of the Black Friday shopping craze, but would like to know if that means only shops with special sales will be open or if Friday is basically a normal business day for everything.
Black Friday is a normal day. Everything will be open.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM

545 posts, read 604,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Black Friday is a normal day. Everything will be open.
I would say it's NOT a normal day...some stores are open from midnight on Thursday or 5/6 am on Friday...people going nuts over 50" TV's and what not.

Basically, they will be open earlier than expected and expect bigger crowds...

Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,879,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
I would say it's NOT a normal day...some stores are open from midnight on Thursday or 5/6 am on Friday...people going nuts over 50" TV's and what not.

Basically, they will be open earlier than expected and expect bigger crowds...
Haha. Well the OP was asking if it's normal as in will everything be open like any other day.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:27 PM

9,973 posts, read 10,272,643 times
Lots, though not all, restaurants are open on Thanksgiving if you want the full on American Thanksgiving meal (turkey and cranberries and all). A lot of people stay home and cook their own feast, but more and more people go out and splurge on a Thanksgiving buffet. Here's a list of restaurants open in Raleigh on Thanksgiving: Triangle restaurants serving Thanksgiving dinner | News & Observer and yes almost EVERYTHING will be open on "Black Friday". Personally, I view it as a day to stay away from the stores and try not to shop at all, but some people love it. Just try not to get trampled at Walmart.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,829,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Haha. Well the OP was asking if it's normal as in will everything be open like any other day.
Except for REI and a few others that have announced they will not be open that day.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 AM

201 posts, read 133,631 times
If you don't want to see American culture at its worst stay far away from Wal-Mart on Black Friday.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:56 AM

183 posts, read 280,487 times
I'm hoping some of the movie theatres will also be open. For the first time in 26 years, my son will not be home for Thanksgiving so I'll be looking for something to take my mind off my empty nest. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or