Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:45 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times

Advertisements

Soul food joints in the triangle: Please name me some suggestions?

Jamaican Joints? A taste of Jamaica in Cary(closest spot near me) and Lee's Kitchen are good, I like Lee's kitchen prices better, though. Can you name me some more places to check out?

I was happy two new Korean spots have opened in Cary, but a Bulgogi Beef plate cost like 16/17 dollars, can you name me some more spots? Mixed in Chapel Hill was alright, there was a even better spot on Franklin street that had Korean Tacos, so if any of your suggestions have Korean Tacos on the menu it would be great. (don't matter where in the triangle)

Breakfast joints, name me some spots with good prices and good portions, also places with turkey sausage and turkey bacon.

Went to this chili cook off competition, had this banging Texas cowboy chili made with brisket, any places where that is on the menu? also any places out there with goat burgers(there's this nice spot in saxapahaw but I need a spot that's closer. A place with wild game burgers would be cool too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 04:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Lucha Tigre in Chapel Hill is Mexican/Asian fusion. They have Korean tacos usually. Menu changes.

There's a new place on Franklin St where the other Korean place used to be, Ms Mong. It's sort of a Mongolian BBQ fusion place it looks like with lots of different Asian influences. They have Banh Mi painted on the window in big letters. One of these days I'll get around to trying it.

Breakfast — Breadmen's and Elmos in Chapel Hill and Carrboro for cheap eats. Breadmen's is a little less expensive. Not sure on the turkey sausage.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
How are the Jamaican spots? Is it just a big plate of Jamaican food, like home cooking? That's my fave, but I'll take what I can get.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Lucha Tigre in Chapel Hill is Mexican/Asian fusion. They have Korean tacos usually. Menu changes.

There's a new place on Franklin St where the other Korean place used to be, Ms Mong. It's sort of a Mongolian BBQ fusion place it looks like with lots of different Asian influences. They have Banh Mi painted on the window in big letters. One of these days I'll get around to trying it.

Breakfast — Breadmen's and Elmos in Chapel Hill and Carrboro for cheap eats. Breadmen's is a little less expensive. Not sure on the turkey sausage.
Been to ms mong's it's good but I miss the place that was there before(Chop Stix) even though one of the cooks now works for ms mong and told me last time I was there he would make some of the menu items from chop stix if I wanted.

Been meaning to check out both Breadmen's and Elmos, going to have to hit those up this weekend.

Thanks for the Lucha Tigre suggestion.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
How are the Jamaican spots? Is it just a big plate of Jamaican food, like home cooking? That's my fave, but I'll take what I can get.
Both Taste of Jamaica(Cary) and Lee's Kitchen(Raleigh and Durham) are good, and yeah it's exactly a big plate of Jamaican food, like home cooking. I like Lee's kitchen the best just because it has better prices.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:42 AM

195 posts, read 286,075 times
There's also Jamaica Jamaica off of NC 55 which is good.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:46 AM

52 posts, read 59,364 times
Jamaica Jamaica on NC 55 is simply horrible. I have no idea how it stays in business.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:55 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
Durham is your best location for soul food. Bullock's BBQ is the best known, but there are also the Chicken Hut and Bowick's Ark, both off Fayetteville St. Backyard BBQ Pit in RTP may be a little closer to you.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:36 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Both Taste of Jamaica(Cary) and Lee's Kitchen(Raleigh and Durham) are good, and yeah it's exactly a big plate of Jamaican food, like home cooking. I like Lee's kitchen the best just because it has better prices.
Jerk Master in Raleigh has good jerk chicken, and other entrees. I haven't compared it with Lee's enough to say which is better but they're both good. I was disappointed when I went to Lee's for lunch because I got a tiny portion of chicken, but it was tasty. Rice & peas were better at Lee's. Jerk Master appeared to have actually barbequed their jerk chicken whereas a lot of smaller restaurants up north (where I'm from) cook it on the stove. Don't recall which way Lee's did it.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Jerk Master appeared to have actually barbequed their jerk chicken whereas a lot of smaller restaurants up north (where I'm from) cook it on the stove.
Barbecue is a Noun :: the film
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary