U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 AM

45 posts, read 60,532 times

Advertisements

Hi! My child was diagnosed with ADHD and sensory processing issues and I am looking for the best elementary school in Chapel Hill for a child who struggles with these issues. I know some schools have stronger EC (Exceptional Children) teams then others. If you don't know of a specific school, can you please let me know your thoughts on Chapel Hill schools in general, in regard to how they assist these children? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:12 AM

9,950 posts, read 10,234,069 times
how old is your son?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:04 AM

Old 11-17-2015, 12:56 PM

9,950 posts, read 10,234,069 times
All the schools in Chapel Hill are very well regarded, especially academically. I don't know of one that is supposed to be a whole lot better on the EC front than another. My kids went to Carrboro Elementary in the traditional track (there's also a dual language Spanish track) and had a good experience. I did see some kids get pulled out to go work one on one with a resource teacher for learning issues. CES has a great playground and they do try to go outside whenever possible. They also have an amazing theater program for 4th and 5th graders which is run by the art teacher after school.

Obviously nobody is going to have had experience with their exceptional child in all 11 CHCCS elementary schools, so it's hard to make a one-to-one comparison. I don't have a kid with the issues you outlined but I did see a lot of kids of all sorts at CES and the staff and teachers there really do try to meet the kids where they are. I thought it was a great public elementary school and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It's older, but has a lot of heart.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Thank you so much for your response! I greatly appreciate the information and find it very helpful! It's good to know about that school option. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 PM

732 posts, read 1,005,777 times
Our experience has been that Chapel Hill schools are supportive of EC kids at the elementary and middle school level but it's lacking at the high school level. It seems like once they get to high school most of the attention is paid to the high achieving kids. I don't know why there is this disconnect b/w elementary/middle school and high school but we've heard other parents say the same thing.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 PM

53 posts, read 40,083 times
My son was identified as "possibly having" ADHD by his 2nd grade teacher at Morris Grove Elementary School in Chapel Hill. They were ALL over it with aides and advice months before we even talked to the pediatrician about a diagnosis. He is very, very bright but that can only get you so far in school. You need to be able to sit still, not shout out answers, and have some semblance of self control. They brought some aides in to work on his fidgeting and gave him some ways to calm down. We ended up medicating him as a last resort but that does not seem to be working. Overall, I was pleased with how Morris Grove worked with my son. I worked at the school 2-3x a week as a volunteer and saw that there are tons of aides and outside help for those that need it in a variety of capacities from extra help on math to helping a child eat. The principal was very impressive and involved too.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:25 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
It was like pulling eye teeth to get our daughter an IEP at McDougle. She was adopted from Vietnam at 7 months and had some delays but nothing like ADHD. We even came to the school from out of state with her in speech therapy and with IEP but here they said she didn't need it. I finally made a horse's ass out of myself and she got official IEP. But it was explained to me she was already getting extra attention she needed without IEP and that was probably right.

Today she is 13, in 7th grade and making good grades but still has IEP. I like McDougle very much. The teachers seem dedicated and sincere. Be aware N.C. schools are lowest or near lowest in the nation in pay and few benefits under out current "leadership" - I used that word reluctantly. Still all CH/C schools are rated highest in N.C. and the education of the community is reflected in the cooperation, parental involvement, and goals at our local schools.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:10 PM
rfb

1,843 posts, read 5,007,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison23 View Post
Hi! My child was diagnosed with ADHD and sensory processing issues and I am looking for the best elementary school in Chapel Hill for a child who struggles with these issues. I know some schools have stronger EC (Exceptional Children) teams then others. If you don't know of a specific school, can you please let me know your thoughts on Chapel Hill schools in general, in regard to how they assist these children? Thank you for your help!
My son has ADHD, sensory processing issues, auditory processing disorder, and a few other issues. First and foremost, get a physcho-education analysis if you haven't. This will identify the issues your child is experiencing as well as provide recommendations on remediating any differences. Second, find a good psychiatrist who can work with you in managing your child's issues. Depending on the severity, this may include medication(s).

Depending on what the physcho-educational analysis shows, it may or may not make sense to explore schools that can assist in remediation. The Hill Center in Durham is excellent, but is quite expensive. Depending on recommendations from the psycho-educational analysis, though, it may make sense for 1-2 years if you can afford it.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:41 PM

732 posts, read 1,005,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Be aware N.C. schools are lowest or near lowest in the nation in pay...
While that is true for the state I don't think that is the case for Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools. As you know, we pay a school tax in addition to the usual city and county taxes. I would think some of that money goes towards higher teacher pay to hire higher quality teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary