U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:23 AM

7,705 posts, read 10,090,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
Crabtree Valley is mentioned in a chapter of the 2030 Comprehensive Plan. It creates policies for pedestrian circulation, open space, and design unity. The Crabtree Valley Transportation Plan (2011) goes into more detail about sidewalks, improvements to Crabtree Valley Avenue including an interchange with I-440, reduction of traffic signals on Glenwood, etc. Both of these documents incorporated comments from the public and stakeholders.

I suggest something more comprehensive for the Crabtree Valley area that would result in a guiding document for development. The city would implement this through zoning (which is how the city already coordinates the efforts of landowners) and infrastructure improvement. The amount of proposed development will have a huge impact on this area and with the right attention could have an even greater return for the city than North Hills. Continuing to develop in a suburban pattern shortchanges that return.
I understand zoning, but I'm not sure they could really do too much more to coordinate the look of things or how they went together, which is what I thought you were talking about as it was already difficult to really control the look of buildings and the general assembly took more of that away this past session. I do agree the rework of the beltline interchange and Crabtree Valley Ave could help for sure.

Really, the landowners need to get together and ask for a special business improvement district similar to Hillsborough or Downtown and maybe they could do something along the lines of what Architect 77 is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 12:48 PM

113 posts, read 142,773 times
I agree, a BID would give the businesses in the area much more power to make things happen. I'm not sure what the businesses in the area are envisioning, and if that vision is the best decision for the city though. But that's a different question.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM

201 posts, read 156,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Is it just me, or does everyone else avoid that area like the plague?
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but we love Crabtree and rarely have any trouble getting in or out. I take North Hills to Leadmine, cross over Glenwood and usually park at Macy's or Sears. I usually avoid going if it's after 5p or on the weekend.

Whatever happened to the plans for the area across the street, near Marriott? I thought there was supposed to be a new shopping plaza in the works with a pedestrian bridge connecting to Crabtree?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,770,903 times
My understanding is it's still in the works. The planned retail portion known as Carolina Row fronting Glenwood was taken over by Lennar about a year ago, and I believe they're still moving forward with the process.

Carolina Row | Lennar Commercial

Lennar just uploaded a new promo video a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0TZvdSYPs

I believe the overall project, which is known as Crabtree North and includes a similarly sized residential project behind the retail portion is still under the control of EYC.

CRABTREE NORTH: A Premier Urban Center Raleigh, NC

Old 11-25-2015, 06:33 AM

7,705 posts, read 10,090,713 times
Is it as easy as driving to your average 75-100,000 sf neighborhood shopping center a couple miles from your house, no. But I too just don't find Crabtree that difficult. I have my preferred entrance, but have gone right in off Blue Ridge or the Main entrance off Glenwood many times at high shopping times without a real issue. Mainly, you just need to realize you are not going to park front row across from the entrance and drive toward the mid level of the decks. Just a bit more walking is all that stands between you and not having to worry about it.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:54 AM

33 posts, read 29,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
My understanding is it's still in the works. The planned retail portion known as Carolina Row fronting Glenwood was taken over by Lennar about a year ago, and I believe they're still moving forward with the process.

Carolina Row | Lennar Commercial

Lennar just uploaded a new promo video a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0TZvdSYPs

I believe the overall project, which is known as Crabtree North and includes a similarly sized residential project behind the retail portion is still under the control of EYC.

CRABTREE NORTH: A Premier Urban Center Raleigh, NC
wow that seems pretty cool. looks a little like it could be a Tysons Corner lite when this is all said and done...

Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,051,770 times
Like many in this thread (and others) I have no problems with Crabtree. I (again, like others) have my "preferred" route to get there, "preferred" entrance and "preferred" parking spot. Seems like everyone who's lived here for a long while does, and everyone does so a bit differently. I've ridden there with friends before and it always seems that they do something different than I do, but always with decent results and about as good as the way I go.

This leads me to think that one of the benefits of Crabtree is the number of different ways to access the mall and it's parking facilities. I'm sure we could have a whole thread about each persons "preferred" method and get dozens of answers which all work well. Heck, even if some people use the same entrance, I bet there are many variations on how they enter whichever deck and the level they choose to look for parking on.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:09 AM

5,997 posts, read 7,377,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but we love Crabtree and rarely have any trouble getting in or out. I take North Hills to Leadmine, cross over Glenwood and usually park at Macy's or Sears. I usually avoid going if it's after 5p or on the weekend.
That's the way we go in too. I usually go up the ramp by the bus stop and park upper level in the rear near the food court. Easy peazy. We like Crabtree too.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:01 AM

2,011 posts, read 1,924,212 times
While I do believe that in a few years Crabtree will be "a pure mess". I still love to go get in the Christmas crowd. I was telling my fiancé just yesterday(non-native) how's it doesn't feel like Christmas to me. Until I go to Crabtree in the crazy Christmas crowd. I have to go at least once during the Christmas season each year. That gets my Christmas mojo going.

As a native. 42 years old for perspective, there's not much left of the Raleigh I grew up in. That makes Crabtree a little special to me. It will be a special mess,but it'll be our mess lol.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:19 PM

113 posts, read 142,773 times
I wanted to share this link from the Washington Post about the transformation at Tyson's Corner. Of course the new Metro plays a big factor but there are some similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary