Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:17 PM

252 posts, read 275,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Is it just me, or does everyone else avoid that area like the plague?
No doubt, I absolutely won't even think about going to the Crabtree area until after January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 04:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
Quote:
I was there, yesterday. It was busy but I still got parking right in front of Macy's (upstairs)!

Makes me laugh every time I remember all the articles about "malls are a thing of the past"!!!

Sometimes it is nice to just walk around the mall when it is decorated and feels like Christmas!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,377,912 times
I went in my first week here just to check it out. I'll go back if I need to go to the Apple store or shop at one of the big stores, but that's about it.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 PM

131 posts, read 144,269 times
Hoverboards, hopefully.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:00 AM

703 posts, read 777,507 times
Quote:
Like the old Yogi Berra line: "No one goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

Old 11-23-2015, 05:56 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,715,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
We will begin to see the effects of the many developments approved in the area over the last few years without much a coordinated vision for Crabtree Valley. I think this is shortsighted because there will be even less opportunity to get it right.
So, how exactly do you propose the city coordinates the efforts of dozens of different landowners, all with differing agendas and cost basis in their land. Some of which have existing buildings some of which have raw land?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I was there, yesterday. It was busy but I still got parking right in front of Macy's (upstairs)!

Makes me laugh every time I remember all the articles about "malls are a thing of the past"!!!

Sometimes it is nice to just walk around the mall when it is decorated and feels like Christmas!
I like it decorated, too. I avoid malls between Thanksgiving and New Year's unless it's midweek, middle of the day stuff.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 PM

113 posts, read 180,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, how exactly do you propose the city coordinates the efforts of dozens of different landowners, all with differing agendas and cost basis in their land. Some of which have existing buildings some of which have raw land?
Crabtree Valley is mentioned in a chapter of the 2030 Comprehensive Plan. It creates policies for pedestrian circulation, open space, and design unity. The Crabtree Valley Transportation Plan (2011) goes into more detail about sidewalks, improvements to Crabtree Valley Avenue including an interchange with I-440, reduction of traffic signals on Glenwood, etc. Both of these documents incorporated comments from the public and stakeholders.

I suggest something more comprehensive for the Crabtree Valley area that would result in a guiding document for development. The city would implement this through zoning (which is how the city already coordinates the efforts of landowners) and infrastructure improvement. The amount of proposed development will have a huge impact on this area and with the right attention could have an even greater return for the city than North Hills. Continuing to develop in a suburban pattern shortchanges that return.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,920,502 times
The businesses near Lenox Square mall in Atlanta joined together to improve the streetscape, bury power lines and add trees and sidewalks. Countless unsightly corridors in Atlanta and Raleigh could use this type of makeover.

Peachtree Transformation Project | Road Improvement | Buckhead CID

Crabtree should renovate its interior to be more upscale like Lenox. (I'm not cheerleading for these two Atlanta entities, they just turned out well in my opinion.) Replace the interior drywall with some marble and a sophisticated color palette like Lenox's sage green and voila.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:16 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,811,317 times
I think it will start going up up up. Also I believe they will have to redesign the belt line intersection to make it flow. If they ever decide to do light rail, this will be a prime stop.

I think it will start looking mor like North Hills in places, but most similar to South Park in Charlotte. I believe at some point new shopping destinations will pop up on the Edwards mill side and back behind the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary