Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 PM

41 posts, read 58,095 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the story of the Legg-Less (prosthetic legs) Military guy on Morrisville Off Ramp at 40 and Airport Blvd? Guy is out there almost everyday, never see him begging for money. He must have a story.... anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 02:28 PM

201 posts, read 189,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRaleigh View Post
Does anyone know the story of the Legg-Less (prosthetic legs) Military guy on Morrisville Off Ramp at 40 and Airport Blvd? Guy is out there almost everyday, never see him begging for money. He must have a story.... anyone know?
I don't remember his story, but I think he lives in the woods by the off ramp. I work with some military vets who've stopped and talked to him. I'm sure he does well at that intersection though I've never noticed him actually panhandling. People probably just give him money. I'll try to get more info about him.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:38 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,452 times
So, he's a legit veteran?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:05 PM

201 posts, read 189,888 times
I believe he is legit. I'll confirm when I talk to my coworkers.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,699 times
There is one in Johnston County that is not legit. He lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. Many scammers just make up the excuse that gets them more $$$.
Check this one out. Johnston County was not big enough for her or else JCSD created too many obstacles for her. She is now on Raleigh social media. Scamming Wake County residents. https://www.facebook.com/wakeweekly/...type=3&fref=nf

Old 11-19-2015, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
I also had seen this gentleman many times at that intersection. I found it odd that I never saw him ask for money and that he never seemed to have a specific message beyond general patriotism, as evidenced by his military uniform and the various flags he waved from time to time.

So, one time while I was stopped at the light I asked him why he stood there. He walked up to my car and pointed to a badge/ID card tacked to his chest that referred to the Wounded Warriors Project and said that was why he was out there. It wasn't clear if the badge indicated he worked for them, was a volunteer, or had been helped by the organization at some point. He didn't really specify if he was seeking money for the organization or just wanted to raise awareness. In the brief time we had before the light changed, I think he talked about serving in the military (I don't recall in what capacity) and how one relative of his had mesothelioma (if I recall correctly) and another had cancer. Even after explaining he was out there for the Wounded Warrior Project and the misfortune he and his relatives had suffered, he never asked for any money. The light changed and I drove off at that point.

I went past that intersection daily for about 5 months and I never saw him ask for money and I never saw anybody give him money (or anything else).

Old 11-20-2015, 04:50 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
There is one in Johnston County that is not legit. He lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. Many scammers just make up the excuse that gets them more $$$.
Check this one out. Johnston County was not big enough for her or else JCSD created too many obstacles for her. She is now on Raleigh social media. Scamming Wake County residents. https://www.facebook.com/wakeweekly/...type=3&fref=nf
That one's busy, DH ran into her twice in one week...told her so too

The lady on the news who have her $100 was a real head scratcher. If I were at a pharmacy and someone told me they couldn't pay for their prescription, and I were inclined to help, I'd pay for the prescription. I wouldn't walk to an ATM and hand over $100!

Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 AM

70 posts, read 162,014 times
I use to work at a bank downtown Durham and have helped him. Sadly he came off as mentally disturbed. Whether that's a mental issue, drugs, or both I couldn't tell you. This was around 2010.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:18 AM

340 posts, read 295,063 times
I thought most were on drugs.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM

792 posts, read 4,486,830 times
I have talked briefly to the guy at I-40 exit 284 (which the OP is talking about). He handed me some little pamphlet about finding Jesus. He did not request money or anything else. I am not sure where he lives. I have seen a taxi pick him up and drop him off there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary