U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 PM

34 posts, read 36,384 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone! I'm potentially moving to the area with 2 elementary aged kids. Contemplating Cary or Carrboro/Chapel Hill for the excellent public schools. I read a good bit about school reassignments in Cary by WCPS, which is alarming. Can anyone give me a head's up on which Cary neighborhoods are least likely to be reassigned? Is reassignment a problem in CCHSD as well or is it more stable? Any other info about which area may be preferable is welcome. Thanks to all and happy holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:18 PM

3,083 posts, read 2,090,099 times
I grew up in and around Cary and then went to school (and started my career and still live in) Chapel Hill.

The schools in both are good to great with not a ton of variance. Yes there is a greater chance of reassignment in WCPSS than CHCCS. Yes, property taxes are higher in CHCCS.

Cary and Chapel Hill are just different communities with different vibes.

Chapel Hill is a university/education town through and through. It has a bit of an "ivory tower" vibe to it, with some hipster/hippie thrown in with neighboring Carrboro. Overall the families in Chapel Hill are generally made up of two-professional parent households and parents are older (didn't start having kids until mid 30s). Chapel Hill/Carrboro is geographically/phisically centered around the downtown core of Franklin/Rosemerry Street in Chapel Hill and Main St/Weaver St in Carrboro (all one contiguous downtown area) with mostly local stores/restaurants/bars and obviously...UNC's campus.

Cary is the more typical suburban town and is developed as such. Still mostly headed by two-professional households; but definitely more stay-at-home "soccer moms" than Chapel Hill. Generally younger families where parents had kids in their mid twenties to early 30s. Very large town geographically that isn't really centered around much (downtown Cary is fairly small spot in the southeastern area of the town) but there are suburban amenities/conveniences within short driving distance around most of the neighborhoods.

Cary's housing is mostly 1990's and newer; Chapel Hill's is more evenly distributed from Pre-WWII housing to brand new. Chapel Hill price per sq ft and property taxes are higher. In Cary HOA's are more prevalent and generally have higher fees.

Both towns have a lot of greenspace and walking/hiking/biking trails.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:24 PM

9,971 posts, read 10,272,643 times
Well said Nick. Great description. Tried to rep you, but I have to spread it around.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 PM

734 posts, read 1,008,203 times
The one thing I envy about Cary is that it has a much better ethic food scene, especially Asian. As for schools, the one other thing to look out for in Wake County is that some schools use traditional calendars while others use year-round. Not sure if this is the case for Cary specifically.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 PM

33,127 posts, read 26,953,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well said Nick. Great description. Tried to rep you, but I have to spread it around.
I repped him for us both.

It was a good post.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:32 PM

546 posts, read 1,464,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
The one thing I envy about Cary is that it has a much better ethic food scene, especially Asian. As for schools, the one other thing to look out for in Wake County is that some schools use traditional calendars while others use year-round. Not sure if this is the case for Cary specifically.
This is for the entire Wake County school system, not Cary specifically. Each neighborhood has its "base school, with an alternate calendar choice. Some neighborhoods will have a traditional calendar base school with an alternate year round choice, or vice versa. Reassignment can happen, but I have lived in Cary now for 6+ years with kids in school for each one and as of yet we have never been reassigned (knock on wood )

And while I can't comment on the food diversity in Chapel Hill, I can say that Cary is a fantastic area if you love food of all kind. I've become quite the little foodie since we moved here and still find new places to try out. I love it!

Old 11-20-2015, 03:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 7,055,488 times
Wouldn't you think that kids who move into a brand new school zone would probably end up staying there for the duration? Asking this of the local experts since I don't have school age kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or