U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM

166 posts, read 113,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
That's not the process in NC. Someone cannot "just call the police". You must swear a complaint to an officer of the court. Generally in NC this means appearing in person before a magistrate. The officer of the court then issues the arrest warrant. If you commit a crime in plain sight of a law enforcement officer, no warrant is needed, but that's not what happened here.
Good to know, but what is the process that takes place when someone says "my spouse just slapped me and I have a scrape on my face to prove it". Do they want until the victim goes to court to take the spouse downtown and fingerprint them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM

527 posts, read 563,923 times
I don't want to be rude, but I think continuing this discussion is sort of pointless. We don't have details, we won't get them to protect OPs privacy (which I understand), so we're essentially mapping the coordinates of a dream. I'm sorry OP, that you're frustrated with the process, and I hope it all works out for your friend.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I don't want to be rude, but I think continuing this discussion is sort of pointless. We don't have details, we won't get them to protect OPs privacy (which I understand), so we're essentially mapping the coordinates of a dream. I'm sorry OP, that you're frustrated with the process, and I hope it all works out for your friend.
Just for the record, anyone is free to opt out of the discussion based on their own interest without announcing they believe it is pointless for anyone. I posted a similar example of same happening in NC. I understand if you don't want to discuss it, but I need to point out that if we required personally identifying information for every thread discussed in this forum, there would be very little left to discuss.

We all know these mugshots are permanently damaging the lives of the innocent. Even without highlighting specific cases I believe that fact alone is worth seeking solutions to.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:40 PM

10,706 posts, read 20,133,318 times
I think it was a good post. It's one of those things where until it happens to you, you don't give a crap about it, and probably don't believe the story has any merit. I do find it interesting that a Facebook admin of a group banned someone due to their actions and was also in fact arrested here in NC.

With the proliferation of online searches, data mining, etc. posting arrests made and mugshots taken on easily obtained websites before someone is considered guilty is a bad idea. I'm not even sure what the intention was when it was first implemented. For most professionals, it most likely is a career-progressing ending event, something that they will never be able to overcome.

Often times the "other" side has little to lose in these cases, so suing for emotional distress/etc. leaves you empty handed in more than one way, especially with the cost of attorneys.

As a society we've lost most of the ability to use logical reason when it comes to these sorts of things and on the other end of the spectrum are so focused on CYA that things rapidly get out of control. Hell just look at the ridiculous Starbucks cup issue being made by a select group of vocal individuals.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think it was a good post. It's one of those things where until it happens to you, you don't give a crap about it, and probably don't believe the story has any merit. I do find it interesting that a Facebook admin of a group banned someone due to their actions and was also in fact arrested here in NC.
Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at arrest records/mugshots on line and assumed the person deserved the photo op, but lately I'm looking at it in a whole different light. So, I am not immune to tunnel-vision syndrome, but it is definitely a wakeup call when it happens to someone you know.

I now wonder how many of these people did nothing, and what's more how they will go about the process of reputation clean-up in the aftermath.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:53 PM

527 posts, read 563,923 times
I had a friend(ish) who was arrested (not convicted, I don't believe) on suspicion of DWI. Her mugshot was tweeted on a Wake country mugshot account, and I came across it when I was on Twitter one night. That sucks, and should never have been posted without a conviction. Nice girl, dumb night.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I had a friend(ish) who was arrested (not convicted, I don't believe) on suspicion of DWI. Her mugshot was tweeted on a Wake country mugshot account, and I came across it when I was on Twitter one night. That sucks, and should never have been posted without a conviction. Nice girl, dumb night.
I see a lot of differences in that case and this one (for one, many people find DWI a charge they could see themselves falling into inadvertently even when intentions were good, where a lot of folks might not know what cyberstalking is or make assumptions based on its broad coverage).

But,I feel the same way about it. Since she was arrested on suspicion of DWI, she should not have her photograph broadcast to the entire world until she is actually found guilty of DWI. If they tested her and she's under the legal limit, she still has the tarnished reputation to live with forever after.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM

33,066 posts, read 26,889,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWallace View Post
I don't understand how doing his job was a bad decision. He basically pasted in a script that informs the user they are being officially warned -- he didn't even add personal commentary in that case. It's the same wording most of us use (sometimes with some variation depending on circumstances).

I understand it's going to be harder for others to relate to my interest in all of this, but believe me if you performed the same role, for the same employer, it would strike a nerve with you.
I would think that if it happened exactly as you describe, your friend would be represented by the company and he would not have had to suffer the humiliation of being arrested over this.

Which leads me to believe that some sort of company policy may have been inadvertently breached.

Not saying your friend isn't a stand up sorta guy. Just saying that it might be a technicality and I do agree that the mug shot thing is horrible.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I would think that if it happened exactly as you describe, your friend would be represented by the company and he would not have had to suffer the humiliation of being arrested over this.

Which leads me to believe that some sort of company policy may have been inadvertently breached.

Not saying your friend isn't a stand up sorta guy. Just saying that it might be a technicality and I do agree that the mug shot thing is horrible.
The company itself is great to work for, I have no doubt they will stand behind him and I know they have the legal resources to do it. Will he compensated for his hassle and investment of personal time? I don't know, one of the perks of remote work is that there's not a sense of clock-in/clock-out so I'm not sure how that one will turn out.

No matter what however, it still seems to me the matter of the mugshot is a serious one. Another thought that enters my mind: what prevents others from doing same? Yes I'm kind of looking at it from a CYA mentality, IOW too late for him even if does get legal revenge on the troll. But how do I prevent it from happening to me? These are rhetorical questions of course. The mugshot issue opens a big can of worms, seems like that is a bigger injustice than this "cyberstalking" nonsense.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:28 PM

31,609 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWallace View Post
The company itself is great to work for, I have no doubt they will stand behind him and I know they have the legal resources to do it. Will he compensated for his hassle and investment of personal time? I don't know, one of the perks of remote work is that there's not a sense of clock-in/clock-out so I'm not sure how that one will turn out.

No matter what however, it still seems to me the matter of the mugshot is a serious one. Another thought that enters my mind: what prevents others from doing same? Yes I'm kind of looking at it from a CYA mentality, IOW too late for him even if does get legal revenge on the troll. But how do I prevent it from happening to me? These are rhetorical questions of course. The mugshot issue opens a big can of worms, seems like that is a bigger injustice than this "cyberstalking" nonsense.

Profiteering from government transparency to the detriment of the citizen should be civilly actionable, IMO.
But, how to enforce such? Websites are scraped and archived endlessly.

And, we need some transparency. Of course, the door is either open or closed.

"FOIA" on the Federal level.

Public Records Law on the NC State level.
Chapter 132
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary