U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:27 PM

166 posts, read 113,471 times

Advertisements

I just learned something that chills me to the core, at a time when I am in the process of considering moving to the Triangle area.

One of the reasons I'm able to "live where I want" (within reason) is that I work remotely in a role that could be considered administration/moderation of social media websites, much like this forum (but I'll say up front it is not Citydata and I am not affiliated w/them).

A friend and co-worker who lives in the Durham area (in fact has been part of my inspiration for the move) informed me he was arrested for simply doing his job! Long story short, he basically had a problematic user on a site and was using the proper procedure defined by our employer for handling the situation, issuing the user multiple warnings and issuing a temporary ban. Although no unprofessional behavior took place, the multiple communications were apparently enough to pass as "harassment" under local cyber stalking laws, at least enough to proceed with the arrest.

Shaking your head yet? I still am.

Now here's the crazy part: every interaction he has had within the legal system has basically told him "don't worry about it", that it will never get very far. Some have even encouraged him to prepare to fight back (claiming filing of a false report among other things), but any legal proceedings are time & headache, etc. There was clearly nothing "harassing" about performing a routine part of his job, warning the user that future violations could lead to greater penalties is hardly a "threat" in the mind of most people. Cyber stalking? Because of multiple "unwanted" messages? When I think of cyber stalking I think of placing hidden tracking devices on people and such.

Here's the fun part, even though everyone seems to realize nothing will come of the charges (including the annoying user who called the police in the first place I'm sure), my friend's mugshot is now floating around in cyberspace and spread to private websites, some which are telling him he has to pay to remove them!

All of this has given me a great deal to consider. It's painting NC as a shakedown state. Why would something like this appen in the Triangle area specifically and apparently no where else? It sounds as if anyone on a whim can have someone else arrested, their reputation tarnished, even if the charges are obviously unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 03:59 AM

7,702 posts, read 10,083,611 times
The mugshot thing sucks and should be stopped. Though I'm pretty sure you and I could have an argument in real life that didn't really get physical and I could file assault charges against you and it would be pretty similar and I imagine that it's not just NC.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:01 AM

31,636 posts, read 55,362,882 times
NC is not alone.
The Slammer is printed in multiple states and cities.
The Slammer :: WRAL.com

We truly revel in judging people guilty until proved innocent, and there is a LOT of money to be made from feeding that penchant.
Woe to the person who gets a mugshot entered into the public domain. It will never be erased.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:08 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,372,260 times
Read the law at GS_14-196.3. I don't think it's onerous. This is a merely class 2 misdemeanor. In contrast, "real" stalking is at least a Class A1 misdemeanor and can be a felony.

The fact that your friend may be following a documented process in the workplace is not relevant at law although it may factor into a judge's sentencing decision. Reportedly the conviction rate of those formally charged with cyberstalking is only 15%.

Five other states have similar law.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:16 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,479,709 times
I think there has to be more to the story. If your friend ONLY warned about infractions that were part of the ToS, then all of that is documented through the system and should be easily dismissed before it ever gets pursued. I think (at least) friend must have let their emotions get the best of them, or used non-official means to communicate, or something.

I don't know, and I could be wrong, but there are almost always two or more sides to a story. We've heard one (and second hand at that).

Not doubting you OP, or calling you out. Just saying I don't think it's that much different here than anywhere, and I'd at least entertain the thought that there is more to the story than what heard and what we've read...

Old 11-19-2015, 05:22 AM

9,957 posts, read 10,252,845 times
I don't know Myghost. Could be the person who claimed to be harrassed was a jerk and an attorney, rich white business dude, VIP, Donald Trump, etc.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:30 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,088,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I think there has to be more to the story. If your friend ONLY warned about infractions that were part of the ToS, then all of that is documented through the system and should be easily dismissed before it ever gets pursued. I think (at least) friend must have let their emotions get the best of them, or used non-official means to communicate, or something.

I don't know, and I could be wrong, but there are almost always two or more sides to a story. We've heard one (and second hand at that).

Not doubting you OP, or calling you out. Just saying I don't think it's that much different here than anywhere, and I'd at least entertain the thought that there is more to the story than what heard and what we've read...
I doubt there is more to the story. The criminal justice system has been totally corrupted in recent years by those looking to make a name for themselves.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:37 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,214,466 times
We will live ........Trust me when I say that there are plenty of people to take your place on the moving to NC bandwagon. Yep it sucks here. The jobs pay nothing,no mass transit,dark roads,matchstick built housing and junk fees to boot. So your not really missing out and I'm glad your friends unscrupulous actions have persuaded you otherwise. Our loss might be Florida's gain,who knows? Bad NC and their online anti harrasment rules!

I think this is definitely a question for our moderators. So tell me,do any of you fear the NC shakedown?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:46 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,819,942 times
There are two sides to every story...

Old 11-19-2015, 05:51 AM

3,079 posts, read 4,995,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
We will live ........Trust me when I say that there are plenty of people to take your place on the moving to NC bandwagon. Yep it sucks here. The jobs pay nothing,no mass transit,dark roads,matchstick built housing and junk fees to boot. So your not really missing out and I'm glad your friends unscrupulous actions have persuaded you otherwise. Our loss might be Florida's gain,who knows? Bad NC and their online anti harrasment rules!

I think this is definitely a question for our moderators. So tell me,do any of you fear the NC shakedown?
Huh? What jobs pay "nothing"? And I'm assuming you're referring to new construction when speaking of "matchstick built housing", that's just new construction anywhere, not just here.

And OP, how did the accuser know where the accused lived/worked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary