U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:08 PM

33 posts, read 52,344 times

Advertisements

News 11 Article and report

Cary residents opposed to new shopping center | abc11.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM

31,662 posts, read 55,447,685 times
It seems a bit ironic.
People don't want their neighbors driving past their homes while they want that same privilege?
Seems like the folks at the west end of Northlands are being used in protest by people on Jockey's Club, Emerald Downs, and the east end of Northlands who are already privileged to drive past all their neighbors for all access and egress.

Arlington Park is not going to become a cut-through for people who live outside the neighborhood in any numbers. It is too indirect.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,074,698 times
Cary council member blog excerpt: my bold

Don’s Blog: November 2015 Update | CaryCitizen

"Council Meeting

We had a long meeting this past Thursday. Highlights include:

Opposition to Publix Supermarket

The council held a public hearing for the proposed Lewter property rezoning at the intersection of Carpenter Fire Station and Green Level Church Roads.

The land is currently zoned for medium to high density residential. The applicant is proposing commercial to include a Publix grocery store. A number of folks showed up to speak in opposition to the project with a couple of folks speaking in support of the proposal. Council has also received a number of emails on the topic, and those run about 50/50 for and against.

At the end of the day, the question for me is – do I believe the best use of this property to be commercial development or more apartments? I have my thoughts but will let the process run its course before commenting further. Cary’s Planning and Zoning Board will review the case and make a recommendation to council prior to our decision."

Old 11-25-2015, 01:36 PM

7,707 posts, read 10,107,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It seems a bit ironic.
People don't want their neighbors driving past their homes while they want that same privilege?
Seems like the folks at the west end of Northlands are being used in protest by people on Jockey's Club, Emerald Downs, and the east end of Northlands who are already privileged to drive past all their neighbors for all access and egress.

Arlington Park is not going to become a cut-through for people who live outside the neighborhood in any numbers. It is too indirect.
Exactly. And these connections are important because they reduce cars on the road at intersections near these centers. But I guess these people can just walk down a muddy path through the woods if the road is not put in.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:35 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,725,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You sure you will be able to get to the store with your money still on you. I'm never able to walk anywhere near a retail establishment without being robbed by the criminals that frequent grocery store parking lots.
Oh man, and you're a Sheriff! Yah, I'm definitely not scared of this area of Cary. I go to Harris Teeter at all hours of the night. The funny thing is the Harris Teeter is 24 hours but they won't let the Publix be 24hrs. Weird.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 PM

6,082 posts, read 7,063,599 times
If it was me, I'd love to have a shopping center like this accessible to my neighborhood. With a street connection, you and your kids could walk over for ice cream, to pick up groceries, walk to the dentist, etc., which is exactly the definition of the walkable neighborhood that people are clamoring for. Add a cafe or a neighborhood pub and the place would be golden.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:53 PM

19,415 posts, read 17,190,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Oh man, and you're a Sheriff! Yah, I'm definitely not scared of this area of Cary. I go to Harris Teeter at all hours of the night. The funny thing is the Harris Teeter is 24 hours but they won't let the Publix be 24hrs. Weird.
None of Publix's 1,110 stores, the current store count, are open 24 hours.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 PM

3,986 posts, read 2,708,130 times
Maybe apartment complexes are different around here, but I would think an apartment complex would attract a lot more crime than a retail center.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:24 AM

387 posts, read 446,224 times
I live within walking distance and would love more walkable shopping. I would hate to see an apartment complex go there. I have spoken to many who agree more shopping would be nice.

When we were house hunting almost 3 years ago, we went to see a house on Northlands. My realtor told us that most likely Northlands would be continued and it would not be a dead end for ever. She also cautioned us that eventually something may be built on that land. Whenever you buy a home with vacant land behind it, you take a chance on what may go there.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:58 PM

19,415 posts, read 17,190,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Maybe apartment complexes are different around here, but I would think an apartment complex would attract a lot more crime than a retail center.
Apartment communities do not always attract more crime. Newer communities I am noticing are gated. Increased security should help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary