U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:34 PM

6,004 posts, read 7,396,360 times

Advertisements

I buy G.E. on sale at Lowes...nothing fancy..buy the extended warranty...and get the good hoses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 03:05 PM

2,324 posts, read 1,688,070 times
I purchased Whirlpool front loader a few years back. No problems with the washing machine other than it will smell if you don't keep the front seal cleaned. Had to replace the element in the dryer which was NBD, taking only about 20 minutes. Having purchased large numbers of appliances throughout the years, make certain to look them over very closely when they are delivered. There are often minor cosmetic issues. If they are something you can live with you can often negotiate a substantial discount. Also make certain to purchase the high-pressure, braided stainless steel hoses for the washing machine. If you are living in an older house you may require the 3 prong plug instead of the 4. If your dryer vent is not metal, many companies will not install the dryer. The old plastic vents are almost always deteriorated by now and should be replaced.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:40 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,992,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I never move WDs, so if you are not planning to move, buy something you will not have to replace. The last pair I bought was LG front loaders. I got them on a Black Friday deal from Home Depot for $500 each including installation and cart away.

IMO, having a new WD in the house helps on resale.

I have bought 6 pair in my moves and am getting ready to buy again.

Available again.

LG Electronics 4.0 DOE cu. ft. High-Efficiency Front Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR-WM3050CW - The Home Depot

LG Electronics 7.3 cu. ft. Electric Dryer in White-DLE3050W - The Home Depot
We bought ours at Home Depot, too. They're basically the biggest LG model that's not commercial. I think the washer is 9 cubic feet. We can easily fit bulky, oversized comforters in that big boy.

I forget how much we paid for the set, but we definitely got them on sale.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:04 AM
ERH

1,040 posts, read 1,500,094 times
We buy used off Craigslist or the Buy-Sell-Trade Facebook groups. Highest I've paid is $400 for a no-frills, top-load W/D set; they've lasted 5+ years and show no signs of stopping. When they break, I'll buy used again. With so many people moving in and out of this area for jobs, you can get some significant bargains on appliances and entire households of furniture.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:40 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,527,760 times
Watch out for Samsung top loader. WTVD reports several machines explosively failing with property damage.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 PM

922 posts, read 821,944 times
Another happy LG customer here. Got ours at Best Buy.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:16 AM

3,745 posts, read 9,458,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Another happy LG customer here. Got ours at Best Buy.
Ditto. We purchased an LG washer, dryer as well as a counter depth LG refrigerator at HH Greggs 2 years ago. They gave us a great price, $750 off the trio. We are extremely happy with the products. The washer and dryer barely make a sound when in use.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:18 PM

529 posts, read 392,233 times
I've had an LG front-loader and dryer in my NJ house for about 8 years. It's been wonderful; never a minute's trouble. I just bought the newer versions for the Durham house I'm moving to. Got great prices at Home Depot. Ditto for 21.9 cu. ft. counter-depth french door refrigerator with ice/water in the door from Frigidaire. Love it, love it, love it...bought a new one for the Durham house.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:02 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,797,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Watch out for Samsung top loader. WTVD reports several machines explosively failing with property damage.
Yep! We're one of them! They even know there's an issue and told us we'd have to pay to repair it! It took a lot of calls and arguing for them to come out and replace the defective part. They never did call back on the repair to the water damage to the hardwood floors. And-it cleans for poo

Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 AM

751 posts, read 441,796 times
Any tips on getting discounts when purchasing with no Holidays sales around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or