U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,050 times

Advertisements

Not looking to buy anything super fancy. Just want stuff that will get the job done and not wreck my clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM

121 posts, read 102,659 times
Yes, we bought Speed Queen washer dryer from Garner TV and Appliances. You should google the review of that washer/dryer brand: all last 25 years+ with no problem. All manual (just knobs and turns) with no bells and whistles (the one we bought have no electronic parts), made in USA, 5 year warranty (vs 1-2 year of other brands), all metal gears, very heavy, and very stable. Some I found http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...view-long-post , http://blog.yaleappliance.com/speed-queen-washers

They are not available in normal big box stores though (so that's why you may never have heard the name), only independent stores, hence the Garner TV shop. http://www.garnertv.com/

My clothes came out clean, no smell, and no wrecks so far. I did put bras and fine clothes on mesh bags, but otherwise everything else go straight to washer.

The capacity sounds small but I can put my queen comforter in with no problem and came out clean.

Last edited by lleello; 11-19-2015 at 03:15 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 03:21 PM

412 posts, read 295,736 times
Speed Queen all the way. They may be the last decent appliance maker in the world.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:53 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,837,740 times
Consumer Reports reviews washers and dryers about once a year or so. You can get a copy at the library or pay for one-time on-line access.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:08 PM

73 posts, read 43,243 times
My recommendation: don' t buy front loading washing machines. I got a deal on mine several years ago and has been a headache the past year.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 PM

56 posts, read 39,393 times
Consumer reports article on Speed Queen here:

The Spin on a Speed Queen Laundry Pair - Consumer Reports

Average reliability, no real evidence you'll actually get 25 years out of them, maybe you will. I like the idea of buying US made appliances though. I would give Speed Queen a look but I wouldn't spend a lot more money just for the hope of the 25 year dream becoming real. I may want an updated look in my laundry room before then or some other interesting technology might come along thats faster/quieter/more energy efficient. Washer and dryers pairs are relatively cheap and easily replaced so if the cost is significantly higher it needs to be justified in some way other than just longevity.

I personally have had good luck with Whirlpool appliances that I just got from Lowes. By good luck, I mean not always perfect but better than my experience with other brands and no expensive repairs, maybe an occasional $100 repair call on a 10 year old appliance but nothing to buy extended warranties or whatever over. Experiences with GE have been decent too.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:42 PM

201 posts, read 133,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2KidsinNC View Post
My recommendation: don' t buy front loading washing machines. I got a deal on mine several years ago and has been a headache the past year.
I love my front loader. I can wash a queen size comforter with no problems, and they're extremely efficient.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:35 PM

10,749 posts, read 20,203,941 times
I have a Kenmore (Sears) brand made by Whirlpool washer/dryer seat I bought used in 2001 while in college. I recently found out you can input the serial number of the unit on some web sites and they spit out the manufacturing date.

April 1994.

Let me tell you, I have moved across the country 5-6 times in the time I've owned them. Rolled them up and down stairs end over end (no dolly). Overloaded them. Knock on wood they are still going. I read up on the Speed Queens and this set looks like them - old school dials, no electronics, uses lots of water, but most importantly they clean and dry.

We did repaint them a couple years ago, so they look much better than you'd think a 21 year old set would look. I cannot believe the prices on these things now, you're well over a grand for the basic front loaders nowadays! Jeez! And with all those electronics, things break and they get expensive quick!

Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 PM

840 posts, read 3,013,590 times
After some extensive research, we bought a set of LG front load machines five years ago from Best Buy. We've never had a problem out of the washer or dryer. I read all the reviews and made sure to leave the washer door open to prevent mold problems.

Also, you need to make sure to buy the better quality hoses for the washer(can't remember the name exactly) as it is well known that the ones that come with the machines are of poor quality. The salesman recommended them and I knew from my research that he wasn't just trying to make an extra buck.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:44 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,491,851 times
I never move WDs, so if you are not planning to move, buy something you will not have to replace. The last pair I bought was LG front loaders. I got them on a Black Friday deal from Home Depot for $500 each including installation and cart away.

IMO, having a new WD in the house helps on resale.

I have bought 6 pair in my moves and am getting ready to buy again.

Available again.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electr...50CW/204740218

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electr...050W/204740230
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or