U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 PM

120 posts, read 262,608 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm sure this question has been asked several times but I wanted a recent update on what folks are seeing out there with Direct TV and Time Warner Cable.

I recently moved to Holly Springs and I have two choices..seems crazy but true!

I had DirectTv back in 2009 and it was not cheap, the on-demand feature stunk, and it went out or was staticky during every rain storm. But aside from those things, the picture quality was great and the user experience was pretty good.

I also had Time Warner Cable in the past and was not a fan. With no other options, I'm using TWC for Internet with the hope of "cutting the cord" but that is not going well. Even with our recent speed increases I'm still only getting about 10mbps upload & 2mbps download...which has made my goal of no cable impossible!

So I'm hoping to get some help or feedback.

-if you have Directv, how has your experience been?

-does the signal drop constantly when it rains?

-is watch on demand shows still a nightmare?

-also is ANYONE happy with Time Warner Cable?

-is anyone having or had the same TWC internet issues I am having with wifi & speeds?

-were you able to fix it and if so how?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 03:39 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,055,555 times
Very happy with TWC, after buying my own cable modem to support the faster speeds.
Also, have a 802.11ac compliant router and 4 Roku sticks with the TWC app on each.
Still requires a basic cable TV subscription.
Have 1 DVR that can record six shows at once.

Less than $100/mo. 30/5 speeds.

Call once a year and threaten to bail, to maintain rate.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:57 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,957,202 times
We DTV for 2 years when we first moved here. Got tired of their lousy customer service and always losing the pic with a drop of rain, sometimes for hours on end. Switched to ATT UVerse for 2 years until the contract expired and became too expensive. Switched to TWC. All kinds of problems. The worst was the internet, which was constantly dropping the wifi and failing speed tests. We lasted 6 months with TWC, they were that bad. I honestly don't know what the problem was - we had techs out to our house several times and just could never got the internet working the way it was supposed to.

Now we are back with DTV and pretty happy. Pictures good, we only lost it for a few minutes this morning in the torrential rain, customer service still sucks but none of them are great in that regard.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 PM

434 posts, read 865,360 times
Dish network has a heck of a receiver in their Hopper/Joey setup. The features on it in my opinion blow DTV and TWC out of the water. They are running a two year price lock deal now for their 35th anniversary. If you want to PM me for details I can offer you a referral code to get some cash off your bill for the first 10 months.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 AM

966 posts, read 535,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
I recently moved to Holly Springs and I have two choices..seems crazy but true!
Where in Holly Springs? AFAIK most (if not all) of the town has DirecTV, Dish, Century Link, TWC, or ATT Uverse as choices.

I had DirecTV a few years ago and dumped them because the dish always went out in a storm. Once the promotional period is over, the monthly charges are higher than TWC.

About a year ago I dumped TWC as well because I couldn't justify $160/month (or whatever my bill was).

I'm happy now with my Roku with Netflix and SlingTV ($20/Sling, $8/Netflix plus $60 internet).

Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 AM

3,077 posts, read 4,991,043 times
I'm a longtime DirecTV customer having started with them on Long Island in 2002 and keeping the service when we moved to Raleigh in 2007. Other than a six month separation in 2013 where we switched to TWC (DirecTV refused to give me a break on NFL Sunday Ticket and I quit in protest) I've been a very happy customer for thirteen years.

Their current equipment (Genie and GenieGo) is simply the best equipment I've ever had, hands down. It allows for full functioning DVR technology on every machine (including recording and viewing content, pause, rewind, fast forward) and other than the base unit is completely wireless (we often move televisions around during the NFL season to allow my kids and their friends to watch multiple games simultaneously). Plus with the GenieGo I can watch recorded content on my portable devices, including downloading content to watch offline (I travel frequently, I love this feature). And it works, all the time, without a hitch or needing to be rebooted. For the six months we had TWC, our equipment failed constantly and either needed to be rebooted or rebooted on its own (and than you wait like ten minutes for it to come back online).

As for signal interruption, there is some loss during the heaviest of rains but that lasts for maybe 5-10 minutes and happens less than once a month, if even that often. For those who claim more frequent signal loss I have to question the placement of their dish and why they don't have a technician check things out. Honestly, we lost our signal at least a few times a week while using TWC regardless of the weather.

DirecTV has vastly improved its On Demand technology as well to where it almost rivals TWC (that was the only feature where TWC excelled). Plus their online viewing options are really solid as well.

The only catch with DirecTV is that it's never going to be the cheapest option, just the best. But for my family, where we watch so much television, it's an easy indulgence, particularly because we are huge sports fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Dish network has a heck of a receiver in their Hopper/Joey setup. The features on it in my opinion blow DTV and TWC out of the water. They are running a two year price lock deal now for their 35th anniversary. If you want to PM me for details I can offer you a referral code to get some cash off your bill for the first 10 months.
Other than the commercial-skipping feature I can't imagine the Dish equipment is better than what DirecTV offers; it's simply the best television technology I've ever used.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:03 AM

7,693 posts, read 10,065,987 times
Pretty much agree with everything NYC2RDU said regarding DIRECTV. If you lose signal in anything other than a torrential downpour, your dish needs checking.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 AM

2,543 posts, read 6,149,302 times
As far as your internet issues, what sort of trouble shooting have you done? Does wired give you the speeds you are paying for? What modem and what wireless router?

I cut the cord back in April after being a TWC TV customer for years and years. Going well for me. I have 100/10 service for $44/month. I bought an SB6183 modem that then feeds into my ASUS RT-AC68U modem. I have 2 televisions that each have a Roku 3 connected. The one on the same floor with the router works perfect. The one further away has taken some troubleshooting with location of it and the router. Switching from 2.4GHz to 5GHz greatly helped (never mind that the 5GHz connection showed as Fair and the other showed as Excellent).

Old 11-20-2015, 10:06 AM

3,150 posts, read 3,817,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I've been a very happy customer for thirteen years.
Hopefully, AT&T won't screw up things and that will continue. My two daughters each have D-TV and are happy with it.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:24 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
Never had issues with TWC. I'm on the 100/10 plan now, no CATV. We have 3 connected TVs (2 Roku's and one TV uses its apps for streaming), 3 connected tablets, 2 laptops and 1 PC connected. Use to bog down prior to the upgrade but it's fine now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or