U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:50 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,164,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
People say those North Raleigh areas are also like Northern Virginia suburbs.
I would agree with those people to an extent. Thankfully, it's not nearly as congested as Northern Virginia (yet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,001,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I would agree with those people to an extent. Thankfully, it's not nearly as congested as Northern Virginia (yet).
That's true. If anything, Raleigh/Durham is a polished version of Greensboro/Winston-Salem, but it's also like Northern Virginia and Austin. North Raleigh and Richmond suburbs like Henrico or Midlothian are also pretty similar, at least in my opinion.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:20 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,391,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
A McMansion is a McMansion wherever you go

I've seen them here, in FL, in Atlanta, and Long Island. I wonder if they're owned by the same people?
Yeah, they're called private equity funds...

Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
People say those North Raleigh areas are also like Northern Virginia suburbs.
North Raleigh is not even close to NoVa. It does not, and never will possess the cache of being close to the nation's capital.. Those people can keep dreaming..

Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Status seems to have become more important to a lot of people around here. Houses are bigger and flashier, more high-end stores and restaurants; this could be a national trend and isn't "bad"...just a noticeable difference. One thing somewhat unique to the Triangle is that it does seem like a lot of people who have relocated here from more expensive areas tend to almost "brag" about how much bigger and newer their house is here and now they "have more to show for" upon their move.
It's a nationwide trend. Late stage Empire.. Rome is burning.. just let them enjoy their grapes..

Old 11-24-2015, 12:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,001,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
North Raleigh is not even close to NoVa. It does not, and never will possess the cache of being close to the nation's capital.. Those people can keep dreaming..
Outer suburbs are pretty similar, but definitely not areas along the lines of Arlington or Alexandria closer to DC. I'm thinking areas like Fairfax or Manassas being more like North Raleigh or maybe Cary, except less southern.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:35 AM

82 posts, read 54,785 times
Geographically the Triangle is large, but it still feels small because there are so many fewer people, buildings, etc. compared to the cities I've lived in before.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:56 AM

8 posts, read 4,161 times
So what would you say it is the general feel in the area? I am planning on moving there with my family from Madrid, Spain. We don't know anyone there but liked the area and schools a lot. Just hoping there are internationals/Europeans.
Any areas anyone would recommend with good schools, yet not too far from a downtown with live music and lively scene? Considering Apex, Holly Springs, Cary..How is downtown Cary?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,220,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsl View Post
So what would you say it is the general feel in the area? I am planning on moving there with my family from Madrid, Spain. We don't know anyone there but liked the area and schools a lot. Just hoping there are internationals/Europeans.
Any areas anyone would recommend with good schools, yet not too far from a downtown with live music and lively scene? Considering Apex, Holly Springs, Cary..How is downtown Cary?
In terms or what you expect from a downtown....unfortunately not very much. Most of the downtown areas in the smaller suburb towns around the triangle might have 10-20 actual walkable businesses. Many have less,few have more.

Out of your list I'd say Apex but it's still probably nothing like you might expect coming from Europe.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,200,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
Speaking as a 20-something, the size of the Triangle isn't as important as the content for me. I moved here from Central FL, which is mostly miles upon miles of characterless, suburban sprawl, big box stores, and the elderly. Aside from places like Miami, there isn't anything nearly as stimulating in FL as there is here.

I absolutely love the Triangle! I wake up every single day overjoyed that I came here. It's a city, but not a huge concrete jungle like NYC, or a sprawled out mess like Atlanta (yet!). It's much more cosmopolitan than where I lived in FL. I can walk my dog around Lake Johnson, and hear 4 different languages spoken! I can go to the store, and see all sorts of people. I love DPAC, I love the museums, I love the cute festivals--even though most of them are geared towards families. I love the local business and restaurants. I love that bands, and shows actually stop here. I moved here in March, and already I've seen more shows (concerts, theater, performances) in these 8 months than I have in my entire life! My favorite band, Alabama Shakes, performed at Koka Booth this summer. Welcome to Night Vale did a show and a book signing in Chapel Hill. I just saw The Read in Charlotte last weekend. I could never find theaters in FL that play indie movies, or art house movies, or documentaries. Here I can see them in IMAX!

Plus, there's all the great nature around. I went to Wings Over Water on Pea Island and it was nothing but nonstop life birds. I visited Grandfather Mountain over the summer, and that was fantastic. I'm out hiking once a week at least at Falls Lake, or Umstead, or something.

I understand this place is having the same issues as FL, with suburban sprawl, and miles of tract housing, spurred by Northern transplants. But the vibe is leagues different in the Triangle. My family moved from Long Island to FL when I was a kid, and I grew up in a boring, characterless ex-urb filled with other people from Long Island. There was no culture inherent to that place. There was no reason to stay, and nothing to do.

Here? There's not enough hours in the day! This place is a paradise compared to FL.
I am also a Central Florida native -- born and raised in Winter Park until college. I have exactly the same love of the culture and energy and diversity in the Triangle.

Florida is a uniquely culture-free zone, at least relative to the state's size. Winter Park had more of "it" than other parts of Orlando, but then again, being proud to be close to the Enzian Theater is great, but when it's the only alternative theater in a 2 million-plus person metro is sobering, relative to the many such outlets in the Triangle. Similarly, I lived in biking distance to Stardust Coffee and Video, but the fact that that is the ONLY such store in metro Orlando is just ridiculous.

We live right outside downtown Durham and I would never trade the energy and activity and civic engagement level here for live in Orlando again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or