U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,409,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I don't doubt the Triangle is less of a "look at me" area than where you moved from/grew up; but that doesn't mean that it isn't much more of a "look at me" area now than it was when I was growing up here. It's all relative.
I get your point and had to laugh at your comment early. I think for me its not bragging is the shock of how stupid I was to live in a box and pay 15 K for property tax!! HAHA!! Its amazing to get the electric bill and laugh to hysteria because I paid more for a 1200 square foot house in utilities than a 3800 square foot house. Its just mind blowing. You made me laugh. I don't think for some its bragging I think its complete shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 12:52 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,409,327 times
Now my comment on being small. I do think the area is small compared to where I came and I often think will I get used to this. But then I have to remind myself of why I left and what am I missing? The only thing I find different is I got to put work into getting big elevations. SO the key for me is in the Spring, VRBO it too the Mountains and live here in the little city. Its then the best of both worlds. I also find once you get out of the Triangle area and go for a drive, you see rural farm land and that's a bit different for me. Its a big change. In NJ/NYC area you don't really have that rural farm land. Its all so new and different.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:46 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,705,809 times
I haven't lived in Raleigh yet, and I don't think I'm going to (not a big fan of Raleigh) but have lived in Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Next move will probably be more like Hillsborough or Mebane. Anyway...

This is actually the biggest metro area I've lived in in the past 10 years. I started driving 9 years ago, so meh. LA (moved out of LA in 2005) to Little Rock to central NJ to Myrtle Beach to here. Spent a lot of time in other large cities. And coming from all those areas, it feels relatively big out here. Really, right where it needs to be. Feels slightly smaller than Oklahoma City, St Louis, Charlotte, Memphis and Nashville; much smaller than LA, Phoenix, NY, Atlanta, Philly, Boston; much larger than Little Rock, Tulsa, Knoxville, Springfield Mass, Birmingham.

It's got plenty to do...I'm never bored here, between Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Carrboro there's always someplace you can go or something to do. The highways are some of the best I've experienced here; the drivers are courteous and somewhat safe, it's often very crowded but at least moving 30+mph (as opposed to standstills and 2mph crawls..Atlanta Charlotte LA Boston....). Concerts, plays, museums, arts, awesome foods, colleges, I mean...what more could you even want? It feels great here. Not too big, not too small. Has everything I want for now.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:46 PM

112 posts, read 79,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Raleigh feels tiny to me. I moved her from London 1.5 years ago. Everyone here seems to know everyone. People in shops remember me. Those things are not a problem. Just an indication of how small it is here. Maybe I'll start to like small. At the moment I feel trapped!
Hi, i,m from Bournemouth UK and Raleigh feels smaller than my old seaside Town in Dorset

Old 11-26-2015, 02:45 PM

464 posts, read 380,981 times
This forum and reality are always at odds I see lol. The Triangle is fairly large, and actually feels large and busy to a lot of people I've talked to when I'm out and about. The only individuals I have ran into who have expressed how much smaller it feels compared to their hometowns, are those from much larger metro areas north of DC. People aren't just moving here because it's a great place to raise a family lol. I'm in my 20's, and it's a lot of us down here enjoying the Triangle's unique appeal. I recommend to anyone who is interested in the Triangle to visit. Like I've said before, bias and agenda's are real, so you should be well informed yourself before making any move. It's nothing wrong with being small, but I don't put the Triangle in that category. At the rate it's growing, its doing something right.

Last edited by epicene101; 11-26-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-27-2015, 06:20 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,705,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
This forum and reality are always at odds I see lol. The Triangle is fairly large, and actually feels large and busy to a lot of people I've talked to when I'm out and about. The only individuals I have ran into who have expressed how much smaller it feels compared to their hometowns, are those from much larger metro areas north of DC. People aren't just moving here because it's a great place to raise a family lol. I'm in my 20's, and it's a lot of us down here enjoying the Triangle's unique appeal. I recommend to anyone who is interested in the Triangle to visit. Like I've said before, bias and agenda's are real, so you should be well informed yourself before making any move. It's nothing wrong with being small, but I don't put the Triangle in that category. At the rate it's growing, its doing something right.
I agree with you, the Triangle as a whole definitely has a big city feel to it. Obviously not as big as Atlanta or DC, but I mean............it's not Atlanta or DC. It's the Triangle. And it's definitely big. Between Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Garner...that's a lot of people. And it's all a pretty big contiguous metro. I do agree that the Triangle is unique, yet a lot of poeple on this forum call it "anywhere USA" and "bland suburbia". I wonder if those people hwo say that have lived anywhere besides North Carolina? None of the cities/towns in the Triangle remind me of anywhere else I've lived...and that's a lot of places :/

Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I agree with you, the Triangle as a whole definitely has a big city feel to it. Obviously not as big as Atlanta or DC, but I mean............it's not Atlanta or DC. It's the Triangle. And it's definitely big. Between Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Garner...that's a lot of people. And it's all a pretty big contiguous metro. I do agree that the Triangle is unique, yet a lot of poeple on this forum call it "anywhere USA" and "bland suburbia". I wonder if those people hwo say that have lived anywhere besides North Carolina? None of the cities/towns in the Triangle remind me of anywhere else I've lived...and that's a lot of places :/
Ugh, you get it lol. I Live in Raleigh, but travel to Durham, Chapel hill, and Cary quite often. I've yet to experience anything like the Triangle as a whole. It has a very different feel to it, almost whimsical lol. Trust me, the sentiment on this forum by some regarding the Triangle's size isn't in line with reality lol. Most people who settle here don't move a few years later. It's unlike anywhere else I've lived as well.

Last edited by epicene101; 11-27-2015 at 09:22 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 03:58 AM

5,703 posts, read 8,320,869 times
I liked reading this thread just after I returned from a trip to London and Madrid. I grew up just outside of NYC and lived in Manhattan so that's always my ingrained perspective. The triangle is huge overall but I've never truly felt settled here because I think I am more of a city person. Have great love for Durham, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Carrboro...but something's still missing for me and I do think it's large city life. I was all over London on the underground thinking, yeah, I could live here for sure (except money).

On the other hand, it's sure nice to have a low mortgage and be able to visit large cities...what Raleigh Lass said may just be the ticket. I'm growing more and more curious about Raleigh, but where I would want to live is surely way more expensive than where I currently live (basically more urban with interesting architecture).

Old 11-28-2015, 08:50 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,886,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
The triangle is huge overall but I've never truly felt settled here because I think I am more of a city person. Have great love for Durham, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Carrboro...but something's still missing for me and I do think it's large city life. I was all over London on the underground thinking, yeah, I could live here for sure (except money).
Yes. This is exactly what I meant. If I didn't live in the most urban part of Raleigh, I'd definitely be wanting more. And I still kind of want something bigger, but for now it works. I'm really impressed with Downtown Raleigh.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes. This is exactly what I meant. If I didn't live in the most urban part of Raleigh, I'd definitely be wanting more. And I still kind of want something bigger, but for now it works. I'm really impressed with Downtown Raleigh.
Speaking of downtown Raleigh, what is your favorite area between Fayetteville St., The Warehouse District and Glenwood South? When I go down there on 1st Fridays, or the weekend in general, it's always so crowded with people. Especially during the spring/summer months of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or