U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 09:31 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Speaking of downtown Raleigh, what is your favorite area between Fayetteville St., The Warehouse District and Glenwood South? When I go down there on 1st Fridays, or the weekend in general, it's always so crowded with people. Especially during the spring/summer months of course.
Well I'm closest to Glenwood South, as I live in Cameron Village. I love Glenwood South for the nightlife and some good eateries. But I love the Fayetteville St. area. Neptune's Parlour on Martin St is one nightlife spot I frequent.

I'm frequently Downtown...whether its for nightlife, seeing a movie at the IMAX theater, walking around, going to the Farmers Market...which I did every week in my first month here. Raleigh's Downtown is amazing compared to Tampa's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 AM

464 posts, read 379,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Well I'm closest to Glenwood South, as I live in Cameron Village. I love Glenwood South for the nightlife and some good eateries. But I love the Fayetteville St. area. Neptune's Parlour on Martin St is one nightlife spot I frequent.

I'm frequently Downtown...whether its for nightlife, seeing a movie at the IMAX theater, walking around, going to the Farmers Market...which I did every week in my first month here. Raleigh's Downtown is amazing compared to Tampa's.
I can't frequent downtown like one use to, but that's only because of my work. I hear about new restaurants, bars, and clubs opening all the time, so I'm always curious. When I do get free time I will be right there lol.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,660,678 times
It felt big until I visited NYC for the first time in 2005. It's felt dinky ever since.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,988,163 times
I went downtown a few days back, and I usually only visit downtown once every two or three months or so. For some reason, it struck me this time that our downtown is very quiet. Seriously, Raleigh might have one of the most peaceful downtown districts I've ever visited. I guess this further proves that the area is largely suburban, although many apartment complexes are popping up around downtown. Still, don't expect to encounter tons of foot traffic walking down Fayetteville Street anytime soon.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:07 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,389,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I get your point and had to laugh at your comment early. I think for me its not bragging is the shock of how stupid I was to live in a box and pay 15 K for property tax!! HAHA!! Its amazing to get the electric bill and laugh to hysteria because I paid more for a 1200 square foot house in utilities than a 3800 square foot house. Its just mind blowing. You made me laugh. I don't think for some its bragging I think its complete shock.
yes it was NJ. Northern NJ. Its a mess. So happy to be out of it .

Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
N In NJ/NYC area you don't really have that rural farm land. Its all so new and different.
Well, you certainly do in the western, central, and southern parts of NJ. But NE NJ, where I'm also from, no.

My extremely low housing costs (even for this area - bought small house at a good time) keep me here. It would be much easier to be able visit my family with a short drive. But I can't justify the outrageous cost of living. Agree, it's quite a shock!

Old 12-19-2016, 05:14 PM

331 posts, read 512,465 times
Compared to other cities Raleigh is small in population however it isnt small geographically...One thing i've noticed is that from where we lived in NJ we could find everything...and i mean everything we wanted or needed wwithin a 5 mile radius of ouur home..down herethe same things we like or want are a good 30+ mile radius from home...that has been our experience. We love it here but ultimately what is undoing it for me is the climate...My arthritis is really bad and this S.E climate isnt helping...thus a decsion has been made..as much as we like it here..we are going to relocate onnce aagain...this time to southern arizona...around but not in Tucson....much drier and hotter climate that i prefer. We lived there many yrs ago so we know what to expect..

Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
It's a lot bigger than it used to be, both geographically and in terms of people. I remember when North Hills was north raleigh...

But that said it's small compared to big cities but big compared to smaller ones. All relative. I like the overall medium size - enough to do without being overwhelming.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:12 AM

3,896 posts, read 2,378,352 times
The Triangle has a long way to go before it feels big........but I grew up in the Boston area. I think a lot of it has to be how it's spaced out geographically - there's a lot more room before everything gets filled in between Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:35 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Interesting that this thread was bumped up...as my question was ultimately answered when I left Raleigh 5 months ago. There is definitely plenty to do in the Triangle though. It does feel a lot bigger than some other cities. Having 3 different cities to choose from definitely helps in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or