Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 05:51 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,400,829 times

Advertisements

For starters, I'm immensely enjoying Raleigh. I haven't had time to do too much exploring outside of Raleigh, but I have seen the main parts of Durham and Chapel Hill. I am glad I decided to get a place in Cameron Village, I think my experience here would be a lot different if I ended up living in Carrboro like I was thinking.

Cameron Village is an extremely good fit for me. I drive to Cary for work, but am able to walk to anything from my apartment...and of course to Downtown. So I'm able to live that urban lifestyle that I like. And I'm still surrounded by so many green trees in CV.

However, long-term...I do have some concerns. I am here because of a well-paying job and because Raleigh is what suits me at this point in my life. I'm actually finding it easy to meet people here, contrary to most people on here saying Raleigh is only for families. I'm slightly worried that I might outgrow Raleigh down the line, but I'll see how it plays out.

What about you? After living here for a while, is Raleigh still the right size for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,306,769 times
Nah, Raleigh is too big for me. That's one reason I live in Chapel Hill.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:08 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,183,430 times
I've been in the Triangle for 49 years, and we've grown together. I'm sure there's been a few years one of grew faster than the other. I don't expect to ever live anywhere else.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:13 PM

750 posts, read 852,610 times
Raleigh feels tiny to me. I moved her from London 1.5 years ago. Everyone here seems to know everyone. People in shops remember me. Those things are not a problem. Just an indication of how small it is here. Maybe I'll start to like small. At the moment I feel trapped!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:31 PM

201 posts, read 189,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Raleigh feels tiny to me. I moved her from London 1.5 years ago. Everyone here seems to know everyone. People in shops remember me. Those things are not a problem. Just an indication of how small it is here. Maybe I'll start to like small. At the moment I feel trapped!
Really? I haven't run into anyone I know in ages, and I've spent most of my life here. People in shops I frequent do remember me, though. But, the same thing happened in Chicago and other cities I've lived.

I hope things get better for you.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,211,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
I know hundreds more people here than you (grew up here) and I rarely run into people I know unless it's intentional.

Maybe you don't get around enough?

I don't count "people know me" as the guy at my favorite Indian place because I get food there often enough that it's good business for him to remember me. 😉

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,484,724 times
The Triangle is still a fairly large metro, can you imagine driving from an area like Clayton to an area like Hillsborough? I feel like that'd take an hour, even without traffic.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 PM

121 posts, read 159,398 times
Same with AngelKitten, Raleigh is tiny for me compared to my hometown. But I do enjoy the relatively-much-less-traffic-jam and the trees which is non existent compared to my hometown. I do plan to live here at least medium term, if not long term.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:04 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,348,844 times
The Triangle is just one big suburb, with small downtown areas in Raleigh and Durham. I've found it to be a good place to raise a family.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:42 AM

6,369 posts, read 5,474,438 times
The Triangle feels like a much larger, more crowded, more "look at me" metro area than where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary