Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 01:28 PM

30 posts, read 105,629 times

Advertisements

There is a chance for a transfer to RTP from the greater Boston area with my company. I spent some time in the area over 10 years ago (4 days) and from what I remember, I liked the vibe in Chapel Hill/Carrboro the best. Didn't see enough of Raleigh to form any opinions (except I did sit in traffic a lot), and I didn't care for what I saw of Durham or Cary.

I liked the walk-ability factor, bike friendliness, vibrant downtown vibe of Chapel Hill. Reminded me a bit of my hometown growing up, with a little bit of Burlington VT or Amherst MA blended in. But looking at prices online, I don't much like that part. What other neighboring communities share some of the aspects of Chapel Hill/Carrboro without the high prices? I understand that Durham has experienced some positive changes over the years, but I would need to experience it myself.

Yes, and I understand you can't lump all of Durham into one bag. (I lived in Tacoma WA for a while and it had a bad reputation too. Also a mix of nice neighborhoods with sketchy ones).

In the short time I spent in Cary, I had no idea there were bike/walking trails. Or maybe they were not prevalent a decade ago. But I'll check it out again as well.

I could care less about school systems. I'm single with no kids. But dog/pet friendliness/accommodations are a criteria. Maybe I'm spoiled. I want what Chapel Hill/Carrboro has to offer, but I'm cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 16 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Parks

http://www.townofcary.org/Department.../Greenways.htm

Regardless, you won't confuse DT Cary with DT Chapel Hill or DT Durham.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:46 PM

530 posts, read 634,481 times
Downtown Durham today is a drastically different place than downtown Durham of 10 years ago. It offers what you say you want, but it isn't exactly cheap either. Lots of people want a walkable, vibrant downtown vibe so those rents (in both Raleigh and Durham) come at a premium.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,367,097 times
I can't imagine living elsewhere in the Triangle is going to be that much cheaper, especially with what you're after.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:03 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,728,481 times
You might like downtown Hillsborough. It's much smaller than CH/Carr but it has a nice-sized downtown that has restaurants, a Weaver Street Co-op Grocery (started in Carrboro), a large library, shops, farmers market, etc. The town sits on the Eno River and there's a riverwalk alongside it that is nice. It's fairly vibrant town for being pretty small. And it's cheaper than Chapel Hill/Carr. It's worth checking out.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:30 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,259,097 times
As a long time Chapel Hill resident. Durham would be my pick if you don't want Chapel Hill. You should definitely come check it out.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:43 PM

201 posts, read 189,265 times
It seems like Chapel Hill would be a bargain coming from the Boston area.

I agree with the others that you should check out Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary