Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,298,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemom View Post
Thanks all. I'll go for the weekend and see what I can see. I appreciate your feedback.
I hope you weren't expecting too much objectivity from this board. Most post on here solely for the purpose of promoting the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:16 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Ain't so. Companies are being bribed to move here and people are following the jobs.
Like zombies they raise their arms and, walking in lockstep, repeat the mantra:
Great schools, low cost of living, got a job in two weeks...

Old 11-24-2015, 01:07 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I hope you weren't expecting too much objectivity from this board. Most post on here solely for the purpose of promoting the area...
Or fearmongering.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:57 AM

36 posts, read 34,409 times
I would hope that people come on this board to honestly give their opinions and help out those who need honest opinions....

Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemom View Post
I would hope that people come on this board to honestly give their opinions and help out those who need honest opinions....
This is accurate for the majority of posters, yes.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Ain't so. Companies are being bribed to move here and people are following the jobs.
Or the university system, let's not forget what actually created RTP.

Quote:
You found us out. Does that mean we can no longer be secret agents for the North Carolina Bureau of Propaganda?

Quote:
Like zombies they raise their arms and, walking in lockstep, repeat the mantra:

Has anyone ever seen saturnfan and RoaminRebel in the same room at the same time?

And for the record, Wake County offers an excellent education, the Triangle offers affordable living and I had a job before moving here (and than I got me another one a few years later when I needed it). Don't hate me because it's true.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:24 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,329,917 times
Here is an honest opinion. The district is VERY large, 171 schools I think. You need to do ALOT of research not just a glance at a couple of posts because there a many options in Wake County for schools. You will get a calendar option and only you know if Year Round/Traditional is a good fit for your family. You can apply to a Magnet school, these are within the district but alter your transportation. You can apply to a charter school, which are open to everyone in the State.

Some of the issues you mentioned are being cause by the State government. The current legislature does not support teachers or schools no matter what hype (or BS) they try to put out there.

Yes, reassignments are happening. Not sure what research you have done on this area but it is growing, RAPIDLY, a bond was passed about a year or two ago to build 17 new schools, assignments need to be changed to fill those schools and alleviate crowding in other schools. If you buy in a area where they are doing a ton of building, chances are you will be reassigned at some point. This is not the end of the world but it is a reality.

We are currently at a school which is operating over it's capacity. To some degree it is not an issue. Where you notice it, is with specials and space in the cafeteria. There are too many classes in the grade to fit in the cafeteria at one time, so each class has a month where they eat in the classroom. They are doing double gym classes for some to accommodate the increase in population at the school. To me, these are NBD. Where I get concerned is class size. IMHO no child benefits from an overly large class. I have heard from some Chapel Hill residents on these boards that their class sizes are smaller. If I do not feel that the growth is being managed at our school and it is negatively impacting my child then I would look to switch schools but I would look within the district first. I will admit that this is a concern for me now since the reassignments will not be reducing crowding at our school.

I will tell you one other opinion and that is that you can be at the best school in the district but your experience will be dictated by the quality of the teacher you are assigned.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 AM

33 posts, read 97,674 times
I agree with what Sal_M wrote above. While we were never reassigned to another school in Wake County, there was always a lingering sense of uncertainty that something might change and that was unsettling. We did experience the large class size and it was because our school was overcrowded.

We had great teachers and loved our school but I would do your research when moving to the area and ensure that there is not a cap on the school you want to attend. It is troubling that it appears the burden of the overcrowded schools might be passed on to newcomers moving to the area.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:40 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,807,365 times
Another problem that has less to do with the schools themselves and more to do with human nature is the way certain schools get "hot" and become the only school worthy of all the gifted and talented genius kids moving here.
I personally am relieved that my kid doesn't have to deal with the pressure cooker environments in certain schools (not naming names, but rhymes with "Bill's Lark", "Zavis Thrive", or "Spleen Dope").

Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 AM

110 posts, read 203,653 times
As a parent with kids in the WCPSS schools for 9 years now, they aren't perfect but my kids have overall had very positive experiences. We moved from a tiny town in MA into the 17th biggest school district in the country. I cannot expect that with a district this size, there will not be issues or room for improvement. By and large, Wake County does a good job and my kids are receiving a good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary