U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:51 AM

36 posts, read 22,754 times

Advertisements

Looking for a new place to live with my 2 young daughters. Taking a weekend trip to Raleigh/Cary/Apex area soon to look around and try to get a sense of the place (in a short time, I know). Although the school ratings in Wake County are high, I am reading a LOT of negatives--from underfunding, inept teachers, horrible transportation, and redistricting--not to mention "elite" attitudes in some schools where only advanced students seem to thrive. I am getting a bit discouraged at the thought of putting Wake County on my list, despite the nice cost of living and opportunities for work in the area. Am I taking all this negative to heart too much or are all the good ratings just a ruse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:59 AM

32 posts, read 65,064 times
Most of the schools and teachers are great.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:51 AM

9,954 posts, read 10,238,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemom View Post
Am I taking all this negative to heart too much...
I think this. I'm sure you can read negative reviews about any schools in the country.

Most people are very satisfied with the Wake Co schools, but the ones who aren't post the negative reviews and the ones who are satisfied don't post as much. There's always room for improvement, but some people just will always complain, too, no matter what school their kids are in.

Overall, the current Republican-led NC legislature and Republican governor have not been very supportive of our schools and you may be reading some negatives about that with regard to funding, salaries, etc. Hopefully that will change, but that's the current state of affairs. However Wake schools are better funded than schools in more rural communities in NC and teachers in Wake do receive a salary supplement from local taxes.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:53 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,030,845 times
One million Wake county residents, growing county with regard to development, jobs, infrastructure, amenities. Do you think that many people would choose Wake county if the schools were horrible? No. Could there be improvements? Always and anywhere.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM

7,763 posts, read 6,119,124 times
I'm not sure where you're reading the info. Some of the "the schools are bad" talk emanates at the state level politically. You may have heard a lot of talk about reassignment (not redistrict, a minor difference in terms), though we haven't had a major reassignment for about 6 years, and we'll have one this upcoming year.

Our reassignments occur to manage the growth in the student body - growth created when folks move to town, like you're considering. Like I'm sure most places in the US, if your budget allows, you'll be able to get into a very good school with minimal worries of reassignment. You'll need to buy an older home though, or at least in an old neighborhood.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:18 PM

36 posts, read 22,754 times
Thanks all. I'll go for the weekend and see what I can see. I appreciate your feedback.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:13 PM

3,935 posts, read 2,673,092 times
If things were so bad, there wouldn't be so many people coming here to cause the issues that people think are bad.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,488,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If things were so bad, there wouldn't be so many people coming here to cause the issues that people think are bad.
Ain't so. Companies are being bribed to move here and people are following the jobs.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM

15,735 posts, read 23,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Ain't so. Companies are being bribed to move here and people are following the jobs.
Idiots! They should stay where they are and fight it out for a new job, especially if they are in that magical age bracket of 40+!!! Moving is for the birds, especially when you're coming form a higher COL area.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:26 PM

7,763 posts, read 6,119,124 times
The worst part of the argument s that we haven't won any incentives wars in several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary