U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,879,616 times

Advertisements

'Canes have third-lowest team valuation in NHL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,883,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There's more art than science to the Forbes valuations. The NHL and NHL teams are notoriously close-mouthed when it comes to their financial performance and prior to the 2004-2005 lockout there wasn't much, if any transparency. There's a little more (I believe the League does open the books to the NHL Player's Association which they were reluctant to do before), but they're still private entities that aren't beholden to stockholders and the like. Beyond that, a good bit of creative accounting can and does go on. For instance, the Hurricanes may lose money in a given season, but Gale Force Sports & Entertainment, their ownership group, likely still turn a profit each season due to revenues from other events at PNC (GFSE operates PNC for the Centennial Authority and, as a result, gets a cut of the proceeds from all non-NC State events held at PNC and also gets a larger chunk of the naming rights (and essentially double dips on the naming rights - in this phase of the naming rights deal, of the $4M a year, $1.5M a year goes into a capital reserve fund, $1.15M a year goes to the Hurricanes, PNC gets $800K to cover inventory costs, NCSU gets between $356K and $362K, Gale Force gets between $150,000 and $200,000, and the Centennial Authority gets nothing)). Similarly, Atlanta Spirit Group lost money on the Thrashers, but those losses were offset by the revenues they received from the operation of Philips Arena and from their ownership of the Atlanta Hawks. Their lack of interest in owning a team and control of Philips were the only factors that really led to the Thrashers relocating to Canada. There's a great article here discussing the valuations. The upshot is that yes, it's likely the Canes are less valuable than say, the Capitals or the Kings or the Maple Leafs, etc., but it's hard to peg an exact "value" beyond what a new owner actually purchases the team for.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:40 PM

6,945 posts, read 7,963,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
Lack of media support doesn't help.

In a hockey-friendly NHL city, there is a story about the team or an NHL story every day. Not just a quick re-cap of the night before. It might be a player profile, game preview, hockey trend story, in-depth analysis -- something.

In yesterday's N&O, I could not find a single hockey story, even a small re-cap of Saturday's games that they could have pulled from the AP.
At least the N&O has stories and beat writers who cover the Hurricanes. The Charlotte Observer barely ever acknowledges Hockey at all, in fact they cover the heck of High School Football/Basketball sometimes more than any team in city not named the Carolina Panthers.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:19 AM

2,884 posts, read 3,196,355 times
Youth hockey in the Triangle is very popular and growing.

The Canes under JR did a terrible job connecting with and supporting youth hockey in the area. Ron is doing a better job, but it would be wise for them to do much more in an effort to solidify their future fan base.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:24 PM

473 posts, read 368,151 times
That will only come with winning.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:37 PM

31,652 posts, read 55,416,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
That will only come with winning.
And, we are getting there.

The PNC should be a bit boisterous tonight.

And, the Rangers coming in next Friday with playoff points on the table. Could be fun.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, we are getting there.

The PNC should be a bit boisterous tonight.

And, the Rangers coming in next Friday with playoff points on the table. Could be fun.
Riding a 4 game win streak at the moment. Let's keep it going!

Old 01-15-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Riding a 4 game win streak at the moment. Let's keep it going!
I have tix up on Craigslist, and I have had more requests for tonight's game than any other so far.
Hope we have a loud gang tonight.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have tix up on Craigslist, and I have had more requests for tonight's game than any other so far.
Hope we have a loud gang tonight.
I think I've only missed like 6 home games so far. Will be there tonight.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I think I've only missed like 6 home games so far. Will be there tonight.
I wear the only Malone 24 jersey in the arena.
Find me and I will buy you a Cheerwine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary