U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 02:40 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I don't believe the N&O is anti-hockey or anti-Canes. I thought the article was fair, although it didn't say anything new.
I wouldn't think they are anti-Cane if they ever acted pro-hockey.
The banner headline on the front page of the Sunday edition, superceding Scalia's death was just pointless.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 09:21 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times
I know they are planning renovations to PNC Arena, but I think the location of the arena is part of the problem. I guess I picked a good year to come to Raleigh and start attending games? Having a consistently winning team + renovating PNC is the only thing I can think of that would draw more fans. But I can only imagine how successful placing the arena Downtown would be.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Yep. First Touchdown of the season! Isles blocked the XP though.

By the way, we need the Kings to beat the Devils today so Go Kings Go
Devils won 1-0.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 PM

4,128 posts, read 2,710,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I know they are planning renovations to PNC Arena, but I think the location of the arena is part of the problem. I guess I picked a good year to come to Raleigh and start attending games? Having a consistently winning team + renovating PNC is the only thing I can think of that would draw more fans. But I can only imagine how successful placing the arena Downtown would be.
Location of the arena wasn't a problem when they were winning and people seemed to find the arena quite well. Consistent winning is a pretty good cure-all. Their current lease goes to 2024, at which time PNC will be what only 25 or 26 years old. While it's nice to have sports arenas/ballparks near or close to metro centers/downtowns (unless your the Atlanta Braves, I guess), I think there's a better chance of the Hurricanes leaving the Triangle all together before they try and build a new arena in downtown Raleigh and move out of PNC. Maybe a new MLS stadium near the downtown, if the owners want to pay for it, but I don't see a new arena downtown in 2025 or 2030 or 2035.

I wanted to add that if the new potential owner of the Canes is a multi-billionaire and wants to spend $300-400 million of their own money to 100% finance a new downtown Raleigh arena, like what the Golden State Warriors owners are doing in San Francisco, then I could see a new arena in downtown Raleigh.

Last edited by cjseliga; 02-14-2016 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
I don't know if a Downtown Raleigh arena would benefit attendance much. I wonder if it would really benefit Downtown much.
There is a steady stream of Contained Yankee hockey fans from points west of the arena on game nights.

I can be home with my shoes off within 20 minutes of getting out of the parking lot as it is.
I haven't ridden in on the Caniac Coach(?) and don't know how good it is, but I think seamless, prioritized express public transportation by bus or train would benefit attendance.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,953,154 times
I think the PNC location itself is fine, lets not forget that the Arena is the areas premier entertainment venue and those coming from Chapel Hill and Durham don't have to drive as far as they would to Downtown Raleigh for a newer venue.

However, the arena also is on the same land as the Football stadium and the State fairgrounds, not to mention shares the arena with NC State basketball. This has led to the Hurricanes getting a lot of unorthodox home dates, such as numerous late Sunday afternoon home games and having to go on the road early in the season to not interfere with fair traffic.

While I do think a downtown arena would have its benefits, I also don't think it's necessary at the same time. The San Antonio Spurs for instance are proof you can be successful and not play in downtown.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:56 PM

I don't have a problem getting to games. Live just a few miles from the arena, and I'm usually coming straight to the game from work in Cary. I guess I just love Downtown arenas. For example, DT Raleigh blows DT Tampa out of the water...but the Lightning play in DT Tampa and that adds a lot of foot traffic on game days. I can only imagine how much more improved DT would be if the Canes played there. That's certainly an advantage for DT Tampa going forward.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:47 PM

2,033 posts, read 2,365,679 times
When conversations about a replacement for Reynolds Coliseum began, NCSU was adamant that they did not want it in downtown. The state of NC already owned the land where a new coliseum would be built, adjacent to Carter-Finley and what would become the NCSU football facility. This didn't change when the Whalers/Canes entered the conversation. I'd argue that the current location is ideal for most of the Canes fan base that lives outside I-440. Only about 13% of Wake County lives ITB, and a major marketing push for the Canes has always been family attendance. That just doesn't work with a downtown arena.

But beyond that, downtown arenas are no guarantee of success. Just look at Atlanta where the main reason why the Flames and then the Trashers collapsed was a downtown arena... too far from the fan base. Even the Chicago Blackhawks and the Boston Bruins had attendance problems when the teams were stinkers, despite downtown arenas. In the NBA, the Charlotte Hornets still don't draw as many people at the 2005 arena as they did at the 1988 arena outside the city center.

On the other hand, the Ottawa Senators built their arena on the very edge of civilization 20 years ago. No problems there.

If the Canes win, they draw fans. If they don't, they won't. Where the arena sits makes no difference.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem getting to games. Live just a few miles from the arena, and I'm usually coming straight to the game from work in Cary. I guess I just love Downtown arenas. For example, DT Raleigh blows DT Tampa out of the water...but the Lightning play in DT Tampa and that adds a lot of foot traffic on game days. I can only imagine how much more improved DT would be if the Canes played there. That's certainly an advantage for DT Tampa going forward.
Oh yeah, there would definitely be a lot of bars and restaurants that would welcome a Downtown Arena with 41 Hockey games and other events like concerts and the NCAA tournament, etc. And I know a majority of the fans would love to finally be done with the State Fair road trip.

I can't find it at the moment, but the City of Raleigh did some kind of study about what's next for the Downtown area for the next ten years or so. One of their ideas is interestingly enough a new sports arena. This is the land where the potential arena would be built. At first glance it looks like it will be a traffic nightmare with the Performing Arts Center next door but I also see the train tracks which could lead to a potential light rail station.

One of the negatives about a Downtown venue is that it will very likely kill the tailgating tradition. On the surface that may not seem significant to some but to the die-hard fans it's kind of a big deal. It's rather unique in the NHL and many visiting fans comment positively on it. The Canadian Media thought it was great during the 2002 and 2006 run. Perhaps something could be done to try and save it, but the less open air parking the more likely it goes away.

It's interesting you mention Downtown Raleigh being better than Downtown Tampa. I can't comment because I'm not familiar w/ Tampa but it's quite amazing how different DT Raleigh has changed for the better. Even as little as ten years ago it was inexcusably dull and lifeless, so much so that the N&O did a series about ways to "liven" the area.

Who knows what comes of this but in the meantime I am curious as to how the renovations at PNC will look if and when they get going on it. It's too bad they can't extend the legroom in the upper deck. Someone way back when it was being built didn't have that in mind it seems.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
When conversations about a replacement for Reynolds Coliseum began, NCSU was adamant that they did not want it in downtown. The state of NC already owned the land where a new coliseum would be built, adjacent to Carter-Finley and what would become the NCSU football facility. This didn't change when the Whalers/Canes entered the conversation. I'd argue that the current location is ideal for most of the Canes fan base that lives outside I-440. Only about 13% of Wake County lives ITB, and a major marketing push for the Canes has always been family attendance. That just doesn't work with a downtown arena.

But beyond that, downtown arenas are no guarantee of success. Just look at Atlanta where the main reason why the Flames and then the Trashers collapsed was a downtown arena... too far from the fan base. Even the Chicago Blackhawks and the Boston Bruins had attendance problems when the teams were stinkers, despite downtown arenas. In the NBA, the Charlotte Hornets still don't draw as many people at the 2005 arena as they did at the 1988 arena outside the city center.

On the other hand, the Ottawa Senators built their arena on the very edge of civilization 20 years ago. No problems there.

If the Canes win, they draw fans. If they don't, they won't. Where the arena sits makes no difference.
While the bolded does have some truth to it and a lot of hockey fans in the Atlanta area do tend to live in the Northern burbs, I would like to point out that the Thrashers had an inexcusably bad ownership group after the founders of the club sold them in 2004. One of members of that group actually admitted that as a whole they originally did not want to buy the team yet they did anyway. Don Waddell was the GM of that team from their beginning until the end of the 2009-10 season, he did almost nothing right during that time, terrible drafting, getting nothing in return by trading Ilya Kovalchuk, who was the star of that team for many years, and yet the ownership group actually promoted him to team president for his "hard work" as GM

In short, the Thrashers never really had a fair chance to win fans over. Clueless idiots were in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary