Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 03:52 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

So, two home games left. I will have gone to 30 of the 41 games and did not buy season tickets. Not bad, not bad. They definitely got their money out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Oh good grief just stop it. The Canes are not going anywhere. Just like Chicago didn't, Pittsburgh didn't, ect. We won't. It is simply not going to happen. Arm chair GM's with blogs in Canada start this crap and it holds absolutely zero water. You put Chicago with 7 years of no playoffs and the EXACT same thing will happen with attendance. Heck it did just ten years ago! The cure for this is to win. It's pretty simple actually. ...and Ron is trying to do just that after the mismanagement before him and a crappy "country club lazy Captain" left us with this mess. It's going to turn around.
Not sure where you get your information, but comparing the canes situation to Chicago at any time is laughable. Karmanos was in Quebec....don't think he was there for the tourist sites. I hope they stay in Carolina, but honestly if they can't find a local buyer I find it more and more unlikely that they will stay here.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:01 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
It's true that Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Boston each had miserable attendance not that many years ago, although Boston and Chicago were certainly not relocation candidates and I doubt anyone seriously considered relocating the Penguins.

All it takes to restore attendance is winning consistently. Karmanos, Waddell, and Francis know that.

I think it's also true that Karmanos has been planning his estate for quite some time.

That said, as a former resident of Atlanta which the NHL has left twice (I was there when the Flames moved out), I suggest that no one say "never" when it comes to the Canes. Offhand I don't recall any Cup-winning team in the modern era that relocated. Could it happen? Of course. Is it certain to happen? No. Will it happen? 50-50, I think, unless the team gets into the playoffs next season and begins to rebuild its attendance.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:15 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Now that hockey season will be over, I do want to get over to Durham for a minor league baseball game. Has anyone been to a game there? The stadium looks impressive, so I'll try to make it to a few games.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:28 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
We were there last night with another couple and their kids from NY (all Ranger fans). While myself and the other dad were online for BEER, a Carolina fan said to him; "why don't you buy some tickets and come down here from time to time to watch some games so that we don't lose our team". I would say that Ranger fans had a 2x1 advantage in the stands last night. Now I know some were transplants, but it was Easter week so I'm sure some did travel down from the NY metro area for the game. Needless to say I agree with a previous poster that the Canes are probably out of here when their lease is up. Thats a shame! This was our second game this season and both times we had a blast. Nice arena, easy to get to, nice fans, and reasonable prices.
This 100% bothers me especially with all the Original 6/Pens/Flyers/Sabres fans here. It's like they only show up when it's their team. It's fine that they still root for their old hometown squad but it makes my blood boil when they don't feel the need to go to any other games yet call themselves die-hard hockey fans.

I'm a Canes fan till I die or they move but if I were to move to Minnesota or Dallas or Denver I would at least purchase a 12 game pack or something equilavant for those teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The Canes aren't leaving Raleigh. Just some rumor stupid 15 year olds in Quebec like to start. You won't hear a thing about stupid rumors like this in a couple years too when the Canes are a perennial playoff team and casual fans start to come back.
It's quite amusing that Canadian Hockey fans are quite vocal about who "deserves" a team. Like somehow only residents of cities with lots of natural ice are even allowed to like the sport. I can remember the anger many fans of the Oilers and Canadiens felt that a Sunbelt team in the South beat a Canadian team in the 2006 Finals, I read it on several internet article comment sections after the Cup win. Even to this day Buffalo fans for some bizarre reason are still bitter about that years ECF's yet are not as upset about losing to Ottawa the next season despite winning the Presidents Trophy

That said, these constant seasons w/ no playoffs are not doing the team any favors. We should be on an upward trajectory next season but sometimes you just don't know who is going to get bit by the injury bug, who is going to demand a trade, etc. They need to really get some forward help this off-season.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Now that hockey season will be over, I do want to get over to Durham for a minor league baseball game. Has anyone been to a game there? The stadium looks impressive, so I'll try to make it to a few games.
You will LOVE it!! Great park, great team, great prices! We're looking to take the grandson to a game or two this summer!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Not sure where you get your information, but comparing the canes situation to Chicago at any time is laughable. Karmanos was in Quebec....don't think he was there for the tourist sites. I hope they stay in Carolina, but honestly if they can't find a local buyer I find it more and more unlikely that they will stay here.
It does seem like the NHL will only be expanding to Las Vegas and not wanting to grant an expansion to Quebec at this point. Which does bring up the possibility of a team relocating to Quebec instead.

I'm not saying it will be the Canes, but the relocation fee is definitely cheaper than the proposed $500 million expansion fee. With the weaker Canadian dollar, it would probably be easier and obviously cheaper to buy an existing team and move them to Centre Videotron.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Best finish in 5 years, and we get to pull for the Canes to deny the Bruins tonight.
Pizza night.
I am coping....

Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,769 times
We finally won a shootout! Now, can the team please stay in Raleigh?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,012 times
Sleep easy. The canes are not going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary