U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 07:50 AM

31,648 posts, read 55,401,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm down in Tampa and went to the Lightning game last night. Got to see a shootout.
And, a sellout, too. Right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 07:55 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,875,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, a sellout, too. Right?

Yeah it was pretty full, I didn't see many empty seats.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:04 AM

20,605 posts, read 25,685,111 times
Quote:

Well, upon further review, it seems that Toronto qualifies as a "Hockey Town."
Was there ever any doubt?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah it was pretty full, I didn't see many empty seats.
And, my sister in Tampa tells me that Lightning ownership plays the games on video screen outside the arena for playoffs and sellouts.
Cool and smart.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:28 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,875,689 times
Quote:
And, my sister in Tampa tells me that Lightning ownership plays the games on video screen outside the arena for playoffs and sellouts.
Cool and smart.
Yes they do. They were advertising a watch party for Friday's away game, where people can watch on the screen outside. Tampa is one example of how a Southern city can get behind hockey.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Was there ever any doubt?
No, not at all. It was a very dry comment....

Old 11-26-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yes they do. They were advertising a watch party for Friday's away game, where people can watch on the screen outside. Tampa is one example of how a Southern city can get behind hockey.
We were home by 10:00 and the N&O cannot provide a box score online or in print. I know, early press time for Black Friday ads, but still.................

Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 AM

5,997 posts, read 7,380,968 times
We tried hockey when they came to town. We bought mini plans two years in a row. We just didn't get into it like I hoped to. Maybe it was all the college basketball I grew up on. I hope the Canes get it going for all the fans. I hope they pack the area with screaming fans again. I hope the Canes stay here a long time to come

Old 11-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
We tried hockey when they came to town. We bought mini plans two years in a row. We just didn't get into it like I hoped to. Maybe it was all the college basketball I grew up on. I hope the Canes get it going for all the fans. I hope they pack the area with screaming fans again. I hope the Canes stay here a long time to come
'At 'ere's the Spirit!

Old 11-27-2015, 11:33 AM

473 posts, read 367,855 times
Professional hockey has been in Raleigh since 1989. And more then half the population is from the north. It's not a lack of understanding the game. It's time for the "it's the south so they don't understand" stereotype to go away. The bottom line is this... When the team was decent between 2002 and 2009, the fan base was building. Ice rinks with youth leagues have been popping up all over the Triangle. Throw in the All Star game and this town was clearly buzzing. Bumper stickers were on a lot of cars. However since 2009 it has been an erosion. Constant losses, country club attitude by the core players and poor decisions by management, ... The fans have given up.

You do not have to look far to understand that it takes a winner to make a fan base. Look no further then Chicago or Pittsburgh. Chicago is one of the original 6 teams and they could not even get a radio or TV deal in the late 90's early 00's. It had nothing to do with the south or a lack of understanding of the game by the fan base. The arena was ghost town...it was not because the fans do not understand the game. It was because the team sucked so badly. Pittsburgh much the same. The financial picture for Pitt was so bad the team almost left the city. The team owed so much money to Mario, they gave him part ownership. He decided to build a winning team and the rest is history.

The Canes have suffered from so many "almost's" and pleads of "fans be patient" from the ownership, that after awhile it starts to ring hollow. Want to fill the building? Just win. I do think that in a couple of years Ronny will have us a winning team. Until then people need to stop with the nonsense this isn't a hockey town or it's in the south. That's not it. Take it from a former season ticket holder the last 15 years until this year. The team has to prove it, then the fans will come back.

It's not the location of the city, people want a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary