Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 06:30 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times

Advertisements

Lack of media support doesn't help.

In a hockey-friendly NHL city, there is a story about the team or an NHL story every day. Not just a quick re-cap of the night before. It might be a player profile, game preview, hockey trend story, in-depth analysis -- something.

In yesterday's N&O, I could not find a single hockey story, even a small re-cap of Saturday's games that they could have pulled from the AP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Hockey players overpaid?!? They do 180 something games a year!!!

The absolute highest paid guys are around $10 mil a year, contrast that with football players who so what, 12 games?!?

At least sports players earn their money from their fans/attendance/endorsements. It's not like they are government employees....

You can buy tickets for Canes games for $10. We used to do that quite a bit. Saw a lot of Penguins games for super cheap!
I think you're confusing hockey and baseball. The NHL season is 82 regular season games plus the playoffs (assuming yours is one of the teams that make the playoffs). Even assuming each playoff series went the full 7 games, the most games a player could participate in during the course of a season is 110.

Personally I like baseball, hockey, and football. I've gone to a few college basketball games when coworkers have given me tickets but it's boring. I'll take hockey any day of the week and twice on Sundays over hoops.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I've gone to a few college basketball games when coworkers have given me tickets but it's boring. I'll take hockey any day of the week and twice on Sundays over hoops.
Spoken like someone originally from South Carolina. (I'm assuming based on your user name — is that right?)

Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Spoken like someone originally from South Carolina. (I'm assuming based on your user name — is that right?)
Yup. I'm sure that USC's college basketball futility (our best seasons in recent memory were our back-to-back NIT wins in 2005 and 2006) combined with a lack of a Pittsburgh-based NBA team (my Dad's side of the family is from the Pittsburgh area, so I grew up a Pirates/Steelers/Penguins fan) may contribute to my lack of enthusiasm for basketball, but I just don't see the big deal about it.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Yup. I'm sure that USC's college basketball futility (our best seasons in recent memory were our back-to-back NIT wins in 2005 and 2006) combined with a lack of a Pittsburgh-based NBA team (my Dad's side of the family is from the Pittsburgh area, so I grew up a Pirates/Steelers/Penguins fan) may contribute to my lack of enthusiasm for basketball, but I just don't see the big deal about it.
Basketball is a players' game.
I love to play, but only watch when I am tired.
If you have an alma mater and pull for the team, it is easy to turn it into a social/crowd event, but minus that, it sure is boring from the cheap seats.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
I wish South Carolina had stayed in the ACC.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:40 AM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
Winning has a lot to do with things. Hockey is not as popular as football. But when the Panthers are 4-11, there's a lot of extra tickets around and empty seats. Everybody wants to see a winner.

The Canes have been iffy for the past 5-6 years. You have to be really bad to miss the playoffs for the NHL for 4 straight years.....

If the Canes put on a better product and went deep in the playoffs once in a while, you'd see more excitement.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:09 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Exactly jperryrocks.

Raleigh is as capable of being a "hockey town" as any other US city. It wasn't that long ago that other "major markets" were playing to half empty arenas because their team was bad. The biggest difference was they SOLD tickets to SOMEONE, and were able to announce near capacity crowds. Although anyone watching on TV would be able to see that half the people in attendance were dressed as an empty chair. As long as the Canes organization feels comfortable to continue to raise ticket prices, parking fees, etc all the while icing a team that hasn't been the playoffs in several seasons, the numbers will always be low. Another problem is they keep driving away season ticket holders by offering little to no incentive to buy. Why buy full priced seats only to have the organization dump hundreds or thousands of tickets onto resale sites like StubHub at discounts. Supposedly they stopped giving away hundreds of freebies to each game like they used to. But some will argue that tradition still lingers as well. I feel no urgency to purchase season tickets. I've never had a problem getting seats where I want them at discounted prices over the last several seasons.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Basketball is a players' game.
I love to play, but only watch when I am tired.
If you have an alma mater and pull for the team, it is easy to turn it into a social/crowd event, but minus that, it sure is boring from the cheap seats.
Nah, I never played much, but it's pretty much the only sport I like to watch. Not interested in football, and spare me please from soccer and baseball. Not into hockey, either. Basketball — specifically ACC college basketball, I don't care for the pro game at all — is a thing of beauty.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:44 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Nah, I never played much, but it's pretty much the only sport I like to watch. Not interested in football, and spare me please from soccer and baseball. Not into hockey, either. Basketball — specifically ACC college basketball, I don't care for the pro game at all — is a thing of beauty.
Stephen Curry.
Unbelievable.
NBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary