U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 8,510 times

Advertisements

We are new to this place. What the places i can take my 5 year old who has Autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:22 AM

6,990 posts, read 5,201,036 times
My GF, who teaches special ed as well as babysitting, has taken her charge (who was on the spectrum) to Marbles. This kid wasn't severe though, so take that for what its worth.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM

2,283 posts, read 2,228,489 times
Marbles is great but very busy, highly stimulating, will this be a good fit for your child? If so, there is a ton to do there. There are some outstanding parks if the weather is right. I love Kids Together/Marla Dorell even the going to RDU to watch the planes can be great. There is the observation park which is outdoors and the general aviation terminal where you can watch the private planes right outside the window. That building is very quiet if noise is a concern.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 8,510 times
Thank you so much

Old 11-24-2015, 09:01 AM

38 posts, read 21,906 times
Marbles has Family Fun nights specifically for kids with disabilities if you want to go during a less hectic time:

https://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/familyfunnight

I saw in another post that you were also looking for a pediatrician, as well as some therapy providers. GCF Family Support Services is a great organization to answer these questions. It is also a great place to ask about activities. My county has an email group where parents ask each other questions like this all the time. I am pretty sure Wake County would have something similar. Here is the website for GCF-FSS:

http://www.gcffamilysupportservices.org/

But, of course, the website seems to be down today, so here is their phone number too (919) 662-4600 Ext 257

Oh, and your local chapter for the Autism Society has a good website. It has a community resources section with doctor recommendations.

Wake County Chapter, Autism Society of NC |

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,793,151 times
There is also sometimes (maybe monthly) a special needs movie showing on Saturday mornings. Lights are not turned off, no pre-movie commercials, lower sounds, and all people in the audience have someone with them with a special need, so if the child is loud or whatever, you will not be embarrassed. they are at Southpoint in Durham-called Sensory friendly films. My son enjoyed the nature/science museum place in Durham. can you tell I dont get out much since I dont even know the official name. It is not like a typical museum and lots of fun. We also go to the special needs nights at marbles where it is less chaotic.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:57 AM

61 posts, read 42,653 times
Winterpast Farm and Petting Zoo in Wake Forest is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary