U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM

856 posts, read 1,889,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have not seen opponents of North River Village come forward with alternatives.

Of course they have. Do you even live in the area? Your logic about it having to being rezoned to commercial simply because it's on Guess Rd. is bizarre. People would like follow Durham's Comprehensive Plan for the area. Perhaps you should read the conversations on Nextdoor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 PM

19,395 posts, read 17,119,654 times
If opponents have come forward with build alternatives for North River Village that include a Publix supermarket and residences, please list them.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:06 PM

856 posts, read 1,889,011 times
Quote:
If opponents have come forward with build alternatives for North River Village that include a Publix supermarket and residences, please list them.

Several commercially zoned locations were listed on Nextdoor but honestly that is irrelevant. This is about rezoning, not about Publix. I think the City Council made that clear. Opponents don't need to come up with other locations.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 PM

You have not listed the build alternatives and other commercially zoned locations. I will say there is a site on Guess Road southbound at Rose of Sharon Road that could be a development candidate.

Guess Road is zoned for both commercial and residential uses. North River Village's location is obviously not zoned for commercial use yet.

Opponents are weak in providing alternatives if they do not come forward with other locations or better uses for the site.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 06-06-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Publix has removed North River Village from its announced locations page. It now has 40 announced stores for North Carolina; of that, 24 are open.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:44 AM

289 posts, read 194,464 times
Really hope they find another location for N. Durham or are able to push this through. We just moved to N Durham and I think the area would really benefit from it. We drive closer to downtown for groceries because we are not happy with either the Food Lion or Kroger up there. Not a big deal for us to go further, but unfortunate for older residents and those with mobility issues. Another option would be good and from when we lived in FL, Publix seemed to offer a much better balance of price and quality. We do most of our shopping at HT right now, but Publix would probably become our go-to if we get one anywhere reasonably nearby.

We're happy to be in N Durham, but pushing off development does concern me about the long-term prospects for the area. If S Durham continues to develop and N Durham refuses, home values could end up tanking and the whole area could decline. Seen this happen elsewhere and it is already a much slower market than the rest of the triangle.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 AM

I would like to compile a list of various grocery retailers, including supermarkets, presently in Durham County and possible participants, including Publix, that could enter the area. I will save that for another discussion.

Does Roxboro Road have room for an additional supermarket-anchored retail center?

Old 06-07-2017, 02:33 PM

947 posts, read 607,892 times
Quote:
I would like to compile a list of various grocery retailers, including supermarkets, presently in Durham County and possible participants, including Publix, that could enter the area. I will save that for another discussion.

Does Roxboro Road have room for an additional supermarket-anchored retail center?
There's the spot across from University Ford that was labeled Bi-Lo excess land on Loopnet a few years back.

Anything south of Infinity and North of 85, I doubt it unless they want to tear down an existing building or two.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:59 PM

947 posts, read 607,892 times
Quote:
Not a big deal for us to go further, but unfortunate for older residents and those with mobility issues
Unfortunate?

The proposed Publix store isn't anywhere near a food desert, and it is nowhere near any bus lines. If anything, people in that area could choose from four Grocery stores (2 Food Lions, 1 Kroger and 1 Harris Teeter) with another one (Walmart Neighborhood Market) on the way.

I know there's people who are disappointed that Publix isn't going that way, but it's not the end of the world.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 PM

289 posts, read 194,464 times
Certainly not a desert, my point is just that the existing grocery stores in that immediate area are (in my opinion) weak stores that would benefit from some competition. Definitely not the end of the world, though I do hope this isn't a broader indication that it will resist development.

Where is the Neighborhood Market going? Haven't heard about that and couldn't find anything online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or