Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,362,171 times

Advertisements

As most of you know, I moved to Raleigh in late-August...and more than 3 months later I am loving it just as much as I did on day 1. I moved here sight unseen, although I did do a lot of Google Streetview and research. For the time being, I wanted to stay within my employer's radius and Raleigh seemed like the best option. Otherwise I could have moved anywhere in the country.

I think some people move to Raleigh based off all those "Top 10" articles or Raleigh is the "Best place for ____" and they expect it to be the next Austin, and are disappointed when they get there. That's certainly how Raleigh got my attention, but I knew going in what it was actually going to be like.

Prior to moving here, reading these forums was a nightmare. Everyone was talking about how sprawly and family friendly it is, and how it's not a good place for young singles/millennials such as myself. While Raleigh has lots of sprawl and is definitely a family-first city, I'm finding it to be a great place for young people.

Downtown has awesome nightlife. Coming from Tampa, it's like another world. My experience so far in Raleigh is that you do need to put yourself out there more than you would in other cities that are more urban, but everyone is so friendly here. I've been on a few dates already and have met people at places I wouldn't expect to.

If I wasn't living near Downtown, I'd be singing a completely different tune. I couldn't imagine living in North Raleigh or Cary, or something like that. I'm 25, and that'd feel isolating and I'm sure it would ruin my experience here in Raleigh. Between Cameron Village (where I live), Downtown, and the NCSU area, I've got my own little urban city here. I still need to explore Downtown Durham further, I've heard good things about there, I just try to avoid driving unless it's to/from work.

A city I think would be similar to Raleigh is Columbus. Lots of sprawl as well, yet has a few urban areas and is attracting loads of transplants. I definitely prefer completely urban cities, but it's the best of both worlds in Raleigh...the greenery here still impresses me.

I'm not sure I'd recommend someone in my position to choose Raleigh over some other places as I have, but I'm finding Raleigh to be a great place to live without all the hangups and crime of similarly sized cities. I'm not really sure if I'll be here long-term, but it has certainly surprised me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,295,316 times
You disputed that notion, but have not dismissed it. This post reads like an advertisement.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,222,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
You disputed that notion, but have not dismissed it. This post reads like an advertisement.
Haters gonna Hate.

You are dismissed.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:45 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,141 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Haters gonna Hate.

You are dismissed.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 AM

113 posts, read 180,480 times
Thank you for this post. Raleigh is a place that can still be molded by the people that live here. Over the last decade we've seen many new events, festivals, and other ways to connect through education, culture, etc. These were started by people (often young) who had a desire do something for their city. Encouraging that spirit will keep Raleigh appealing to all groups.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,295,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Haters gonna Hate.

You are dismissed.
And liars are always going to lie..

It's no surprise the Realtor contingent on this board rushed in to defend their little shill poster. Guys, stop being cheap and pay for your advertisement ok...

Old 12-03-2015, 08:15 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,362,171 times
Quote:

It's no surprise the Realtor contingent on this board rushed in to defend their little shill poster. Guys, stop being cheap and pay for your advertisement ok...
Oops, I thought City-Data was where you were supposed to be objective and post your own experiences.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,141 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:

Is one agent a "contingent" in Trollspeak?

Just askin', as not all of us are conversant.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 AM

131 posts, read 144,114 times
Another millennial from FL here! I (mostly) agree with you OP. Can't speak to dating, but this place has much more going on than my boring exurb in Central FL.

You wanna see sprawl? All of FL--outside of Miami--is a suburban hell. Even Orlando is just a series of big box stores, highways, and gated communities. That place has no soul.

Tonight I went to the NC Museum of Natural Sciences to check out their Extreme Mammal exhibit, and hear a lecture about Eastern coyotes. Last weekend I saw one of my favorite bands at DPAC. Next week I'm going to see The Nutcracker. I already bought my Book of Mormon tickets. Before Thanksgiving, I was downtown for the Raleigh Christmas parade. On Halloween I was at the IMAX in Marbles.

I think a lot of people moved here from the tri-state metro up north, so the Triangle feels podunk by comparison. But my family moved from Long Island to FL when I was a kid. Let me tell you, you have not seen podunk. I am so happy I left FL and moved to a place that touring bands/shows actually bother to visit.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,788,909 times
Quote:
I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary