Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:28 AM

544 posts, read 850,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And the benefits aren't that great. If the OP is getting really great state benefits in FL he should consider that carefully.
And don't forget co-pays and deductibles continue to creep up and meaningful raises are pretty much nonexistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 16,137 times
I live in Tallahassee. No sea breeze. Yesterday's high was 80. I can take one hot month a year. But Florida is hot from April until, well, I'm still waiting! And the humidity & sun make it a lot worse. Thanks for the advice on the weather. But that isn't what I was asking about.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 AM

I also wasn't asking about the quality of the state jobs. Florida has the lowest pay & the least number of state employees per capita than any other state. Haven't had an across the board raise in 9 years. But again, thanks for the opinions.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:50 PM

767 posts, read 1,845,335 times
Ok, so you said they reason you wanted to move to NC are because of cooler weather and you could work for the state. Then when people help by saying its hot and humid here and state jobs aren't great (all facts by the way...as I live here and have worked for the state) you don't want the opinion. Got it...

There is a central state complex in downtown Raleigh, as well as numerous state buildings scattered around the area.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
You say ouy "would probably work for the state", but you don't say what you do, which would be the determiner of whether the state has a need for what you do.

Here are the current state job listings. KNow that the Legislature is extremely conserviatve right now and tends to have a "slash and burn" attitude towards state jobs, freezing hiring and giving little-to-no raises when they can get away with it. I was with the state for 14 years but finally got out. The governor has no respect for state employees and has literally referred to them as "seat warmers" (then wondered why so many people left state service). Health benefits for the employee are pretty good, but for any dependents, the cost is almost not worth it, I hear. The legislature is even considering doing away with certain retirement benefits, and they are making more and more jobs "Exempt from the Personnel Act" which means they don't have to abide by rules for comp time, overtime, etc.

It would really help if you told us what Dept you work for in FL and what kind of job you'd be looking for. I know quite a bit about state employment, as, before our current governor, I imagined I'd retire from there.

Unless there is a specific reason bringing you to NC other than weather, I would seriously consider a different state for a state govt job, and this is the voice of experience.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:49 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,851,412 times
I can provide one tidbit you will actually want to hear: Regardless of where your state job would be located, it really isn't hard to find housing nearby. There is no need for a long commute in Wake County unless you buy before you get the job.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:30 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Ok, so you said they reason you wanted to move to NC are because of cooler weather and you could work for the state. Then when people help by saying its hot and humid here and state jobs aren't great (all facts by the way...as I live here and have worked for the state) you don't want the opinion. Got it...

There is a central state complex in downtown Raleigh, as well as numerous state buildings scattered around the area.
Hey now, he "heard Raleigh is nice"...that's enough to want to relocate here, no?

Old 12-03-2015, 11:40 PM

131 posts, read 144,269 times
I actually moved to Raleigh from Florida just this year for a job with the state government! Small world.

I like it here a lot more than my boring little corner of Central FL. Dunno if I'd feel the same way if I had lived in Tallahassee. I can't speak on the strength of the job market. I can only say that I could not find a job back in FL for 9 months, and was hired here almost immediately after a phone interview. I work in STEM (I'm a biologist), and I don't make that much, but I'm pretty young. The cost of living is higher here in the Triangle than in FL, but imo my quality of life is several times better (museums, theater, concerts, festivals, wildlife, nature, mountains, hiking, cosmopolitan vibe, and did I mention that I couldn't find a job in FL for almost a year???). But again, I came from a nothing exurb in Central FL. Tallahasse probably has a lot more going on.

It is DEFINITELY much hotter here! Like, I thought I would die several times this summer. We had about 10 days in a row where the high was above 100 degrees. The humidity was at 100000%.

This was huge shock for me, both because I thought I was escaping the oven that is FL (I was not), and because I underestimated how much living near the coast kept the temps more moderate (a lot). If you lived in Orlando, or South FL, you may not notice a difference. Tallahasee though? Be prepared.

Good news is, those days are confined to June, July, and August. In early June we still had some mornings that started off in the 60's (it was overcast, but I still count it). By the end of June, however, it was another story...
Also, Raleigh is the farthest from a beach I have ever been in my life (Long Island-->FL-->here), and a lot of the houses don't have pools because the clay makes it difficult to install them. There are community pools instead.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:10 AM

562 posts, read 462,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee_phife View Post
My family & I are wanting to relocate somewhere cooler (from Florida). Raleigh seems like a nice place. Are any of the State Office buildings centrally located or are they scattered around town? (I don't like a long commute & would likely work in state govt.)
I'm not sure of your line of work or education, but perhaps you should consider federal positions. The EPA and NIH have offices in RTP.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Lol, I already looked at what state jobs are available & I'm sure I will be able to find one that fits my professional background.

Between June & September this year we had 79 days of 90 + temps. Raleigh had 38.

I really wasn't asking for feedback on my reasons for wanting to move to Raleigh but hopefully this will make you realize that I do know what I'm talking about. Raleigh heat has nothing on Tallahassee. I will be able to find a state job.

Thank you to those that actually provided info about where state jobs are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary