Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,504 times

Advertisements

Are the neighborhoods in north Raleigh (neighborhoods east of highway 70, in-between interstate 540 and 440) noisy from interstate traffic? The traffic sound wouldn't bother me during the day, but at night it would be problem.

Also wondering if that same area is near enough to RDU to hear airplane noise at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Noise impacts that area to varying degrees depending on the specific location. Folks are also very different in their tolerance for noise. RDU publishes noise contour maps but those are averages - the best advice is to visit the neighborhood and experience it for yourself. Remember that noise also varies based on time of day, wind direction, etc.

Frank

Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
It depends on exactly where you are looking. In general, as you move further south from I-540 or further east from US-70 the noise will diminish. The RDU Noise Contour and flight path maps may help, but nothing beats visiting the areas you are interested in at different times of the day on different days to get a feel for the noise.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM

613 posts, read 746,389 times
They are. Especially when it rains. It's worse than where I live in Wake Forest. Here the planes are at a higher altitude and you can't really hear them. But Capital Blvd / 1 is a constant drone even though we are over a mile away. Harrington Grove is in the area you described. Planes fly over the houses one after the other. I could not live there. I would rather live South of 540.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:10 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,907 times
I live near 530 and Leesville Rd. I cant count how many time the Fed Ex plane has woken me up at 5:30am.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:13 AM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
As I have mentioned before, aircraft noise is very street-specific within a neighborhood. I live basically under the approach to the shorter runway. The noise does not bother me. Most of the modern aircraft have much quieter engines. Move a couple streets over from my house, and the noise is significantly less. You have to figure out what you will tolerate.

I don't notice very much aircraft noise after 9 p.m., although occasionally I will hear what must be a late arriving flight go by

I have about 600 feet of woods between my house and 540. Inside the house, I don't hear too much traffic, unless I'm reading in the family room that faces the road. It doesn't bother me.

There are some loud trucks at night, and I did notice quite a few more of them when the Fortify project started. I think I read there are detour signs suggesting 540 as an alternative route.

Two streets over from my house, I don't think you can even hear the traffic.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:15 AM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I live near 530 and Leesville Rd. I cant count how many time the Fed Ex plane has woken me up at 5:30am.
I will concede that. Those heavy cargo planes can be loud.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Yes, the airplane noise in Harrington Grove is LOUD. But, that North Raleigh n'hood is very desirable and so people ignore the airplanes or they get used to them...noise is so subjective.

You can contact RDU Noise Control, give them a particular address and find out when planes are leaving or coming and then YOU can go out to the n'hood and see for yourself if that would bother you.

Walk around, talk to the neighbors. The n'hoods that feed into the Leesville Schools have always been very good for re-sale and prices have been going up, again. If you can find a home that has been updated in that area, it will sell in a matter of 1 or 2 days.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:16 AM

703 posts, read 780,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
They are. Especially when it rains. It's worse than where I live in Wake Forest. Here the planes are at a higher altitude and you can't really hear them. But Capital Blvd / 1 is a constant drone even though we are over a mile away. Harrington Grove is in the area you described. Planes fly over the houses one after the other. I could not live there. I would rather live South of 540.
The OP asked about the area between I540 and I440, east of US70. Harrington Grove is north of I540, and directly in line with the longer RDU runway (which can be seen very clearly on Google maps). Based on the OP's description, I'm assuming the OP is looking at areas from around Leesville Road HS down to Crabtree Valley Mall. I don't see very much of this area being in the flight path, nor being within earshot of interstate traffic. Perhaps only the Wynbrooke or Wyndgate subdivisions.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
I grew up in Northwest Raleigh around the area you're describing, less than five miles east of RDU close to Leesville Road and 540. It's not too bad, and you definitely get used to it. It's a very nice area, super close to RDU and RTP. So yeah, even with noise, I'd say it's worth living in Northwest Raleigh. Also, I wouldn't say 540 is bad at night. I doubt you'd hear much, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary