Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 10:36 PM

236 posts, read 186,576 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone is aware of local neighborhoods that have not caved in to the "more is better" syndrome when it comes to Christmas decorations?

The trend these days seems to be dense clusters of lights, as many as you can cram onto the property, preferably with the entire color spectrum represented. The goal apparently is to turn the street into the Las Vegas strip for a month or so.

I miss the old days, where the lighting efforts were more sparse in nature. Having a very subtle display of lights seemed somehow more peaceful, less commercialized, less "Hey hello howayas we're the Griswalds and we're gonna win the neighborhood yard decorating contest if it kills us" mentality.

I've seen neighborhoods in the past where maybe half the houses had just a few strands of white lights, maybe around the door or windows, or even just the bushes. Sometimes even just one of those electric candles with a single bulb in each window can look really nice. The absence of tacky displays, with only a small amount of warm light can really be beautiful. It just dawned on me tonight that I haven't seen this in a while and wondered if there are any communities around that keep it toned down? Maybe due to HOA rules, or maybe just because they feel the same way I do about less being more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 02:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Oakwood in downtown Raleigh. I've shared this before but just in case anyone missed it. Highly recommended for residents looking to learn about the rich history of Raleigh while celebrating the holiday season.

http://www.historicoakwood.org/candl...elighttour.php

Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 AM

231 posts, read 495,202 times
Colvard Farms on NC-751 South of Southpoint is so "toned down" that they won't even put up a single wreath at the entrance.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:51 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Hayes Barton area usually doesn't go too hog wild on decorations. St. Mary's St. is always a nice drive during the holidays.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:40 PM

236 posts, read 186,576 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to take a look at these.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:42 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
Try:

Park West Village's Magical Winter Lights on this weekend :: WRAL.com

and

Raleigh Christmas Lights Map :: WRAL.com

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
I found the WRAL map very valuable last year, but most of the houses were not what I would necessarily put in the "simple and tasteful" category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: