Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 AM

634 posts, read 910,213 times

Advertisements

For those who attended these meetings, was there anything remarkable / memorable disclosed, said or discussed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:06 PM

5,733 posts, read 17,567,479 times
Nope. If you've been following the progress, there was nothing new. They had a bunch of nice big maps to look at. I was there for maybe 20 minutes tops, and that includes walking back and forth to my car and checking in at the front table.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM

50 posts, read 111,783 times
The speaker on the topic of tolls on the road surprised us the most. He was indicating that the existing I 540 tolls have already lost 177 million dollars that tax payers will have to pay for the shortfall. And if they are already losing this kind of money why would they even consider adding more tolls. Plus he felt this was double taxation. Also questioned the legality of placing tolls on the roads without it being put to a vote.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM

4,297 posts, read 5,964,772 times
I don't know how it could be $177 million in the hole. The financial projections the bond sale was based on only had them collecting a total of $50 million through the end of 2015, and from the numbers I've seen they're ahead of pace.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:33 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,906,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieowner View Post
The speaker on the topic of tolls on the road surprised us the most. He was indicating that the existing I 540 tolls have already lost 177 million dollars that tax payers will have to pay for the shortfall. And if they are already losing this kind of money why would they even consider adding more tolls. Plus he felt this was double taxation. Also questioned the legality of placing tolls on the roads without it being put to a vote.
Sigh... Nothing like people like that speaker deciding to gripe about things they don't have a clue on. It plays especially wall in areas like Long Island-South Annex where everybody just moved in. Let's recap:

1) 540 south of I-40 had been on the books for years (with the 147 extension) but there were no funds to pay for it. It was decades out on the funding list.

2) North Raleigh, which began being heavily developed a couple of decades before southern/western Wake, got 540 (long funded, long waited for) out to Knightdale. This was Not Acceptable to the folks in southern and western Wake, and especially to folks wanting to build houses out there.

3) NCDOT offered a compromise: let us build southern 540 as a toll road and we can start ASAP. Or, wait 20 years and it'll be free.

4) The General Assembly agreed to pay for the delta between toll revenues and the debt service on the road to incentivize its creation this way. This was seen as a way to pay for new NC roads amidst "shrinking" road revenues.

5) A majority (perhaps nearly all, IIRC) of southern/western Wake mayors agreed to the tolling plan.

6) "Double taxation" is a crock. The state funds going towards the gap are coming from NC general revenues and gas tax. It's not as though southern/western Wake's gas tax dollars alone are paying for the road -- it's revenue from around the state. The difference is, this was a way to get a road built fast, and there's toll dollars that make that happen.

BTW, I have one immediate family member and one extended family member paying the tolls each day, one for a short segment of 540, the other for its full length. Still better than not having the road there.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:33 AM

9,140 posts, read 14,715,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Sigh... Nothing like people like that speaker deciding to gripe about things they don't have a clue on. It plays especially wall in areas like Long Island-South Annex where everybody just moved in. Let's recap:

1) 540 south of I-40 had been on the books for years (with the 147 extension) but there were no funds to pay for it. It was decades out on the funding list.

2) North Raleigh, which began being heavily developed a couple of decades before southern/western Wake, got 540 (long funded, long waited for) out to Knightdale. This was Not Acceptable to the folks in southern and western Wake, and especially to folks wanting to build houses out there.

3) NCDOT offered a compromise: let us build southern 540 as a toll road and we can start ASAP. Or, wait 20 years and it'll be free.

4) The General Assembly agreed to pay for the delta between toll revenues and the debt service on the road to incentivize its creation this way. This was seen as a way to pay for new NC roads amidst "shrinking" road revenues.

5) A majority (perhaps nearly all, IIRC) of southern/western Wake mayors agreed to the tolling plan.

6) "Double taxation" is a crock. The state funds going towards the gap are coming from NC general revenues and gas tax. It's not as though southern/western Wake's gas tax dollars alone are paying for the road -- it's revenue from around the state. The difference is, this was a way to get a road built fast, and there's toll dollars that make that happen.

BTW, I have one immediate family member and one extended family member paying the tolls each day, one for a short segment of 540, the other for its full length. Still better than not having the road there.
There is one bit of double dipping, where they took the section of 540 from 54 to 55 and after it was built with tax money, then converted that to a toll without kicking the money back in. That's an approximately $40 million gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary