Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:28 AM

340 posts, read 294,777 times

Advertisements

I don't get it either. I would much rather have a small house and a lot of land then a big house with no land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,223,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
I don't get it either. I would much rather have a small house and a lot of land then a big house with no land.
But you are not in the majority.

Builders build what buyers buy.

If builders built smaller homes on larger lots and could sell them, they would.

Notice that homes before 1990 didn't have garages. The influx of folks from the northern states were used to basements so they were willing to compromise...no basement if the homes had garages. Builders built homes with garages.

Buyers wanted gas stoves. Builders build more homes with gas stoves.

Same with granite, hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances.

But if you want a small house on a large lot, you can find that and buy it and be happy because you got what you wanted. I'm all for people get what they want even if it is different than what I want!

Old 12-14-2015, 02:31 PM

236 posts, read 186,261 times
In my experience, Internet service tends to get crapped up in these tightly packed-like-sardines subdivisions. Too many people competing for same resources. The same applies to roads, grocery stores, etc.

The Triangle is not NYC, even if folks are trying to turn it into that. People move here because they want a little more room to breathe, want the freedoms associated with driving a car, etc.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,267,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keadlez View Post
In my experience, Internet service tends to get crapped up in these tightly packed-like-sardines subdivisions. Too many people competing for same resources. The same applies to roads, grocery stores, etc.

The Triangle is not NYC, even if folks are trying to turn it into that. People move here because they want a little more room to breathe, want the freedoms associated with driving a car, etc.
I don't think internet services are impacted by density the way you think. I've certainly not experienced that.

Yup - people love their cars. Still has nothing to do with whether or not everyone wants lots a lot of land around their home and it's kind of weird to assume everyone moved here for the same reason (more land).

Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,911,784 times
Quote:

Dense neighborhoods qualify for fiber optic service far ahead of suburban and rural environments.

I've seen oversubscribed neighborhoods in both suburban and urban areas. Not sure that your assertion holds.

Nor does your belief that people solely move here for one lifestyle. I moved to Durham from Boston a decade ago because it was a denser/more urban environment. If you're in a suburban/rural area, I probably looked at where you live and chose not to live there. But I support the ongoing densification of the region, which started probably before either of us were here and will continue, akin to the global movement in that direction.

If you want rural, go out to Yancey Co. where I have a vacation home. No people anywhere to be found! 20 minutes to a grocery store! Beautiful mountains! Be warned, you better bring work with you, since the state just dropped them to a Tier 1 (highest poverty, lowest economic development) rating. Oh, and the Internet is 3 megabits down, 256 Kb up, except where the gummint has subsidized Country Cablevision to put in fiber optics, which wouldn't have happened due to the free market, because rural.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't think internet services are impacted by density the way you think. I've certainly not experienced that.

Yup - people love their cars. Still has nothing to do with whether or not everyone wants lots a lot of land around their home and it's kind of weird to assume everyone moved here for the same reason (more land).
Well as I said, it's been my experience with Internet service, at least in this area, in tightly packed subdivisions, and I've heard many who live in SFH that are only a few feet apart say the same thing. Oddly though, in apartments I never noticed the same issues (aside from Wi-Fi interference), so maybe there is a difference in the utility infrastructure. Your own experiences may vary.

Whether people want their cars or not are relevant to any discussion involving urban density, because all new subdivisions pack homes more tightly onto lots to accommodate growth, it implies more people who will be bumping elbows on the roads and stores of a given community.

More density + cars = traffic nightmares.

Other cities accomplish density via mass transit. Most people come to the Triangle to avoid that lifestyle, people around here would rather drive to work than take the bus/train, so in terms of behavior it's kind of ironic that they are supporting that in the future by buying big homes on small lots.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Dense neighborhoods qualify for fiber optic service far ahead of suburban and rural environments.

Existing dense neighborhoods, yes, but this sounds like you believe a good reason to buy this type of house is the hope of future fiber? I know lots of giddiness around the Google announcement but I bet if you look at most of these new subdivisions they still won't have fiber available 15 years from now, they will be complaining about how bad the TWC or ATT internet is.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,445,946 times
Quote:

If that's why most people moved here, they wouldn't be buying what they're buying.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
If that's why most people moved here, they wouldn't be buying what they're buying.
In a world full of smart and logical people, true, but you're giving their capacity to think things through too much credit.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,267,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

I've seen oversubscribed neighborhoods in both suburban and urban areas. Not sure that your assertion holds.

Nor does your belief that people solely move here for one lifestyle. I moved to Durham from Boston a decade ago because it was a denser/more urban environment. If you're in a suburban/rural area, I probably looked at where you live and chose not to live there. But I support the ongoing densification of the region, which started probably before either of us were here and will continue, akin to the global movement in that direction.

If you want rural, go out to Yancey Co. where I have a vacation home. No people anywhere to be found! 20 minutes to a grocery store! Beautiful mountains! Be warned, you better bring work with you, since the state just dropped them to a Tier 1 (highest poverty, lowest economic development) rating. Oh, and the Internet is 3 megabits down, 256 Kb up, except where the gummint has subsidized Country Cablevision to put in fiber optics, which wouldn't have happened due to the free market, because rural.
^ This. I always appreciate posts based on facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary