Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:32 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times

Advertisements

The Jan16 issue of Consumer Reports magazine has an article saying the pricing for prescription drugs is all over the place, but mostly way less competitive that most folk anticipate.
- The article: Tips for Finding the Best Prescription Drug Prices - Consumer Reports

It says many pharmacies, big-box sellers, membership warehouse stores, drugstore chains, etc., sell drugs priced at the maximum they can get insurance companies to reimburse.
Especially if you are paying cash, you're wrong to think discount sellers are actually giving you a discount.

The article recommended shopping around from place to place, and even haggling (asking each, "Is this the best price you can give me?"), very similar to pricing a desired used car.

The Question:
Who has 'shopped around' the Triangle for Rx cash prices (for common drugs)? Any conclusions on who has the best price?

[This question presumes the buyer has a proper Rx, for a common drug, but must pay cash. I'm sure there are other circumstances, please have those conversations on a different thread.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The Question:
Who has 'shopped around' the Triangle for Rx cash prices (for common drugs)? Any conclusions on who has the best price?
My insurance company has competitive prices, but there is one thing I get at Wal-Mart ($10/3 months). I plan to shop around again after the first of the year.

One reason that Costco is so competitive is that they usually mark things up from their cost. Other pharmacys will often mark down from a retail price, or in the case of a generic, price it at a discount to the brand name.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Walmart revolutionized generic drug pricing around 2006 with its generic drug list with prices for 30 and 90 day supplies. Many drugstore chains (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's), supermarkets (Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kroger) and wholesale clubs (Costco) have adapted with their own lists or pharmacy savings clubs.

Publix, to my knowledge, is the first to have free prescriptions for antibiotic and diabetic drug categories.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:01 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
If not on Medicare, this company has saved me thousands of dollars, especially after realizing so many drugs are NOT made in USA any more. I actually dropped the prescription plan offered by my current employer, which really jacked up my out of pocket savings. I actually paid cash for a Chev Cruze with what I saved in 3 years.

www.planetdrugsdirect.com

I have no affiliation with them, just a super happy Customer. I recall call center is in USA.

| also, you do NOT have to be a member of a warehouse club to use their pharmacy!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
One reason that Costco is so competitive is that they usually mark things up from their cost. Other pharmacys will often mark down from a retail price, or in the case of a generic, price it at a discount to the brand name.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:10 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
We have shopped our prescriptions just 2 months ago. Most were less expensive thru the insurers preferred mail order system. However, 2 drugs were cheaper on Walmart's generic $4/$10 plan, and one 2as slightky cheaper at Costco.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:14 PM

644 posts, read 842,218 times
use Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx. That is what I use. I typically call in my pharmacy (CVS) and ask for price with my insurance. I then look at the goodrx.com price which is the price without insurance. There have been cases where buying using the goodrx group rates is significantly cheaper than using my insurance coverage. Case in point, a face ointment I needed was $180 with insurance at CVS but was $100 without insurance but with GoodRx group discount.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:21 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Was going to say check Goodrx.com also. We had a dog with cancer and now have one with kidney disease and I started using GoodRx to check prices on their prescriptions and I've been shocked at the price difference.

Some drugs can literally be $8 at one place and for the exact same dose, amount, etc be $250 at another pharmacy. The next drug could be nearly reversed.

So, this will help you the most if there are lots of pharmacies around (think of that the next time you complain that CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid all pick the same general areas.) and you have to be willing to go to different places for different drugs, but it can be well worth it especially if you have to pay for the drug.

In fact, here is the Good Rx results page for something I picked up earlier today.

And on other one for another dog of ours with severe separation anxiety.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:26 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
use Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx. That is what I use. I typically call in my pharmacy (CVS) and ask for price with my insurance. I then look at the goodrx.com price which is the price without insurance. There have been cases where buying using the goodrx group rates is significantly cheaper than using my insurance coverage. Case in point, a face ointment I needed was $180 with insurance at CVS but was $100 without insurance but with GoodRx group discount.
It does pay to shop around. GoodRx indicates cheapest price for Zolpidem (Ambien generic) 10 MG is $6.92 per 30 tablets. Realo Discount Drugs (919-359-9164) in Riverwood will sell you 90 for $15.00. One major pharmacy quoted $100+.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:29 AM

73 posts, read 68,495 times
Back when we paid cash for prescriptions, we would often call every big box and ask their best cash price. We would then call our local pharmacy and ask if they could beat the lowest price we found. Most often, they would after we did the work and they could verify the pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary