Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:01 AM

9,143 posts, read 14,730,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Just drive through them with your car and knock it down. The faster you go the better this will work
When I was in high school my friends and I thought it was super hilarious to do this and watch the leaves fly. Then one day when a friend was driving, we looked back to see our handiwork and two little kids popped their heads up. Luckily for them and us, this pile was as much on the lawn as the street and they were inside the curb on the yard, but things could have been pretty horrible. Even as 16-17 year olds, that put a stop to us doing that crap real quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 10:28 AM

150 posts, read 226,858 times
Or until they put a cinder block in the middle of the pile.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:28 AM

513 posts, read 694,404 times
Not sure about Raleigh, but I have never seen the piles in Apex sit for more than a week

Old 12-16-2015, 11:33 AM

4,301 posts, read 5,972,787 times
Apex collects loose yard waste weekly throughout the year, although they can sometimes get backed up during the fall. They actually don't allow you to bag or can your yard waste.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:24 PM

430 posts, read 625,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Apex collects loose yard waste weekly throughout the year, although they can sometimes get backed up during the fall. They actually don't allow you to bag or can your yard waste.
Yeah, this is one of my favorite things about Apex.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:30 PM

430 posts, read 625,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Our trees are willow oaks and those leave are pretty dang small, which means they're hard to rake and REALLY hard to bag.
I'm about the biggest proponent of mulching leaves there is, but I do admit that it's impossible for some types of leaves. The last place we lived had trees out front where the leaves where nestled down into the grass and refused to be sucked up by the mower so you just couldn't mulch them, couldn't blow them, and were a PITA to rake. You're probably right that mulching isn't the right option for you.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,686,107 times
Raleigh is the only place I've ever lived with curbside leaf collection. That being said, it wasn't done very well. The leaves would often sit out there for weeks before they came by to collect them. By that time, the wind blew them all in the streets and on the curb.

It would be more beneficial to just have people bag them and have them collected with regular yard waste.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,241,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Raleigh is the only place I've ever lived with curbside leaf collection. That being said, it wasn't done very well. The leaves would often sit out there for weeks before they came by to collect them. By that time, the wind blew them all in the streets and on the curb.

It would be more beneficial to just have people bag them and have them collected with regular yard waste.
This person clearly doesn't have many leaves

Old 12-17-2015, 08:33 AM

9,143 posts, read 14,730,585 times
Yeah, when I was a kid, we had this 3' wide rake with vertical tines about 9-10 inches tall that worked for raking and pushing as well and it would still take hours to move all the leaves. You could push a good sized pile but they would still start overflowing the front and spill over.

I'm glad we have a smaller property with only a couple of trees where I can easily mulch them.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:19 AM

2,003 posts, read 3,575,896 times
Maybe you could move to NYC where they don't have leaves in the street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary