Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

I've not been around much lately but I did lose my job while on vacation in September/October, and haven't worked since. Been doing some odd things on the side lately but also taking time to get projects done, etc.

Now I'm researching what to do with my career in the future and came across what seems like an excellent opportunity to start a high quality leather/vinyl/plastic repair company in this area. Mostly eastern and northern Raleigh and Wake Forest would be my territory. Cars, sofas, medical exam tables, restaurant booths, boat chairs, airplane seats, you name it.

So my question is - I think there could be a big demand for this type of service, especially with the best quality work and a warranty included, but before I jump in and invest a lot of my savings to start this, would you hire a business to come and fix your car seat, sofa, or office equipment rather than throwing it out? I would come to you to do the work and do all the repairs and color matching right on site, or perhaps if it was something I could bring back to my workshop I could also do it that way. Is this something you'd be interested in for our area?

Thank you for your honest insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Now I'm researching what to do with my career in the future and came across what seems like an excellent opportunity to start a high quality leather/vinyl/plastic repair company in this area.
If you haven't already, be sure to talk with the folks at SCORE.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:19 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
For certain things, yes I would use such a service. Examples would include leather chairs and sofa's (assuming the rest of the item is in good to excellent shape and I still want it) and boat seats (new ones are expensive). Car seats are a maybe, but I would guess motorcycle seats would be a target.

I would assume that medical tables would be a market for you, but I'd suggest a phone call or two to some office managers in medical offices. Restaurants are a big maybe. IF they are high and AND have the money for repairs, they will get it done. But how often have you been to a restaurant or a bar where colored duct tape has been used for such repairs? I've been to plenty.

Ultimately, I think leather repair is a better market for you than vinyl. In Phoenix, some leather repair guys included cowboy boots, leather jackets and saddles.

As an ex-business owner, I'll add one more thought for your serious consideration: How are you going to market this?

One of the things that I did in my past life when I owned businesses was to contact similar businesses that were successful in other cities - those that wouldn't be competitors. Most small business owners were happy to help someone in the same industry, but not competing with them. I received great advice and ideas that made my business much more successful.

Sorry to hear about the job.

ETA: Agree. Contact SCORE. And your accountant.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Thank you, Don, I'll check that out.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For certain things, yes I would use such a service. Examples would include leather chairs and sofa's (assuming the rest of the item is in good to excellent shape and I still want it) and boat seats (new ones are expensive). Car seats are a maybe, but I would guess motorcycle seats would be a target.

I would assume that medical tables would be a market for you, but I'd suggest a phone call or two to some office managers in medical offices. Restaurants are a big maybe. IF they are high and AND have the money for repairs, they will get it done. But how often have you been to a restaurant or a bar where colored duct tape has been used for such repairs? I've been to plenty.

Ultimately, I think leather repair is a better market for you than vinyl. In Phoenix, some leather repair guys included cowboy boots, leather jackets and saddles.

As an ex-business owner, I'll add one more thought for your serious consideration: How are you going to market this?

One of the things that I did in my past life when I owned businesses was to contact similar businesses that were successful in other cities - those that wouldn't be competitors. Most small business owners were happy to help someone in the same industry, but not competing with them. I received great advice and ideas that made my business much more successful.

Sorry to hear about the job.

ETA: Agree. Contact SCORE. And your accountant.
It would be a franchise, so there are things in place and a huge support system. Marketing is up to me so I'd start with what I know - car guys - and go from there along with networking, cold calls, etc. I would need to get the name out there but given I would want to start slow and develop my skills before taking on a heavy load, coupled with wanting to retain a semi-part-time schedule to keep spending time with my young child, I think just a little business at first would be okay.

I would definitely tap other franchise owners for tips on marketing and advertising and go with what has worked for others in similar markets.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
It would be a franchise, so there are things in place and a huge support system. Marketing is up to me so I'd start with what I know - car guys - and go from there along with networking, cold calls, etc. I would need to get the name out there but given I would want to start slow and develop my skills before taking on a heavy load, coupled with wanting to retain a semi-part-time schedule to keep spending time with my young child, I think just a little business at first would be okay.

I would definitely tap other franchise owners for tips on marketing and advertising and go with what has worked for others in similar markets.
I'd actually suggest contacting other NON-franchise owners. The other franchise owners are likely getting the same advice from the head office as you will receive. You want to find new ideas, ideas that are out of the box, in addition to what the franchise folks recommend.

I just did a quick google search. You've got a fair amount of competition, at least one of which has excellent reviews. . .

Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd actually suggest contacting other NON-franchise owners. The other franchise owners are likely getting the same advice from the head office as you will receive. You want to find new ideas, ideas that are out of the box, in addition to what the franchise folks recommend.

I just did a quick google search. You've got a fair amount of competition, at least one of which has excellent reviews. . .
Right, but a lot of the franchisees already know the best ways. They aren't going with only advice from the head office, but have developed their own ways over time.

I've done the searching and know about the competition but this particular business has a superior final result including a top coat and warranty which the competition does not have.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
First my condolences on you losing your job, especially on vacation. What a horrible way to find out.

I have several folks close to us start businesses when they lost their jobs. I will say almost to a "T", those that went out and "bought a job" via a franchise, or even those who put a significant amount of money into their new business venture, were not successful and instead poured a ton of money into a business that ultimately failed.

It seems those that started small, and worked their way up into bigger/better, did much better in terms of long term success with a lot less capital outlay.

Yes sometimes it takes money to make money, but that seems to be the case when folks are genuinely interested in what they are doing. Does this new industry make you excited? I assume you've looked for jobs in your field, it took my wife over 10 months of searching to find another position and she even had a full time job during that time frame, with only a month or two of searching you might be giving up too soon.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
First my condolences on you losing your job, especially on vacation. What a horrible way to find out.

I have several folks close to us start businesses when they lost their jobs. I will say almost to a "T", those that went out and "bought a job" via a franchise, or even those who put a significant amount of money into their new business venture, were not successful and instead poured a ton of money into a business that ultimately failed.

It seems those that started small, and worked their way up into bigger/better, did much better in terms of long term success with a lot less capital outlay.

Yes sometimes it takes money to make money, but that seems to be the case when folks are genuinely interested in what they are doing. Does this new industry make you excited? I assume you've looked for jobs in your field, it took my wife over 10 months of searching to find another position and she even had a full time job during that time frame, with only a month or two of searching you might be giving up too soon.
I don't necessarily like my old field. It was time to switch so I'm looking to do something new. I'd rather build something for myself than "get a job."

I'd get to work with my hands, with people, help the community, and see a smiling face after a job well done. It suits me very well.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
I would use a service like that if I needed it, but honestly in my 49 years, I can't think of a time when I have.

Are their service/product areas that are under-served in our area? I remember about 10 years ago, I was interested in garage cabinets. I did lots of googling and found many companies out-of-state in the Garage Outfitters business -- nice cabinets, epoxy floors -- but there wasn't anyone here doing it. Now there are quite a few places who do that.

So what services/products here are under-served? Do you have a skill that others would pay you to do because they either can't or don't have the time for?

I'll be the first to say I am not big risk-taking entrepreneur (I have a skill that might work, but I'm not telling yall what it is.) and don't have experience as a small business owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary