Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,099,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
What is unproven about AT&T fiber? I remember touring one of their manufacturing plants in the late '70s and seeing a demonstration of how to splice fiber (which was new at that time), so they literally have decades of experience with it.

I have seen my share of unqualified techs with the cable guys as well, so neither has a monopoly on that.
AT&T has just lost their mojo.

I remember an underground switching station fire in lower Manhattan that knocked 250,000 customers offline. The Bell system worked together to restore service in 6 weeks. We were shocked to get our phone back so fast considering the extent of the damage.

Recently, 3 attempts failed to correct a central office issue with my landline. Said goodbye and went TWC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 06:05 PM

9,128 posts, read 14,685,051 times
Quote:
What is unproven about AT&T fiber? I remember touring one of their manufacturing plants in the late '70s and seeing a demonstration of how to splice fiber (which was new at that time), so they literally have decades of experience with it.

I have seen my share of unqualified techs with the cable guys as well, so neither has a monopoly on that.
They've definitely proved they know how to put it in the ground and not use it for 10-15 years while promising faster speeds coming real soon now. Maybe they really do mean it this time.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 AM

183 posts, read 197,264 times
Thanks for this thread. AT&T laying fiber in our neighborhood this week. Was considering giving them a shot while we wait for Google to make it out this way. Probably just wait now. Not interested in headaches and service outages.

Although they have plenty of time to cut our cables so...

Old 12-28-2015, 02:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 3,567,571 times
Quote:

The outside fiber PLANT is unproven, not fiber technology itself.

External plant is the term telco's use for the cables going between their central office and your house. It's all new and going into the ground like gang busters. Mistakes will be made and more importantly the folks working with it are still new to it. It takes time for the folks to learn how to use it and unfortunately in our shave profits to the last penny economy training and skilled folks are few and far between.

Drive by Mastec on TenTen Rd and they have a sign looking for help. Anyone good at running fiber isn't working for ATT.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 PM

210 posts, read 317,476 times
Has anyone had luck getting the 1Gbps / Gigapower?
We are in North Chapel Hill, and when we check our address online, it says it's available. AT&T also sent a letter to our address saying it's available for $70/month. So we logged in to our account, chose the uprade (1Gbps), ordered it, got an order #, and then it vanished. That was Saturday.

I called today, and the "Billing" department told me it isn't available in our area. She said the highest I can get is 45mbps. Well why when I check my address, and see the option available in my account, is it not available? It's very confusing.

So while I was still online, I chatted with an online rep. Yep, she said, it's available and she would send the order through. So I signed up again. And within 10 minutes, the order is gone again. So I called back, and was told by another rep that no, it's not available in our area. When I asked for a supervisor or manager to see if someone else has more information, she came back and said there is a special department for GigaPower and I should call them -- except right now they are down for maintenance. So call back in an hour.

We are signed up for 24Mbps and getting about 14. Keep having to reboot the router, and AT&T offered me to upgrade to 45Mbps for $77/month. No thanks, I said. I'm really considering dropping down to their cheapest option since we are in contract, and also ordering internet from another provider. Hs anyone done that

I'm really starting to wonder if they SAY it is available, but it really isn't, due to the competition. Or is it really not?

Old 02-16-2016, 03:04 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,054,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
The outside fiber PLANT is unproven, not fiber technology itself.

External plant is the term telco's use for the cables going between their central office and your house. It's all new and going into the ground like gang busters. Mistakes will be made and more importantly the folks working with it are still new to it. It takes time for the folks to learn how to use it and unfortunately in our shave profits to the last penny economy training and skilled folks are few and far between.

Drive by Mastec on TenTen Rd and they have a sign looking for help. Anyone good at running fiber isn't working for ATT.
Perhaps I'm missing your point, but virtually all OSP (OutSide Plant) work for the major carriers is done by subcontractors - like Mastec. OSP optical cable work is a fairly well known entity ... perhaps the trickiest part these days in not tearing up the optical cable already in the ground. To call outside fiber plant unproven is simply not accurate.

Now those IT provisioning/ordering/billing systems ... that's a whole different story :-)

Frank

Old 02-16-2016, 03:24 PM

9,128 posts, read 14,685,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
We are in North Chapel Hill, and when we check our address online, it says it's available. AT&T also sent a letter to our address saying it's available for $70/month. So we logged in to our account, chose the uprade (1Gbps), ordered it, got an order #, and then it vanished. That was Saturday.

I called today, and the "Billing" department told me it isn't available in our area. She said the highest I can get is 45mbps. Well why when I check my address, and see the option available in my account, is it not available? It's very confusing.

So while I was still online, I chatted with an online rep. Yep, she said, it's available and she would send the order through. So I signed up again. And within 10 minutes, the order is gone again. So I called back, and was told by another rep that no, it's not available in our area. When I asked for a supervisor or manager to see if someone else has more information, she came back and said there is a special department for GigaPower and I should call them -- except right now they are down for maintenance. So call back in an hour.

We are signed up for 24Mbps and getting about 14. Keep having to reboot the router, and AT&T offered me to upgrade to 45Mbps for $77/month. No thanks, I said. I'm really considering dropping down to their cheapest option since we are in contract, and also ordering internet from another provider. Hs anyone done that

I'm really starting to wonder if they SAY it is available, but it really isn't, due to the competition. Or is it really not?
It could easily just be them lying about it. It's the thing att knows how to do best. And they are heavily advertising the gigapower rollout like its a real thing when it's very limited availability.

On the other hand, it could be a database error and you have to keep trying until you get someone that can figure out where the error is. You might need to escalate.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,098,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post

We have Gigapower. It works as advertised. You just have to be in a place that offers it. And, those really are limited.

We're in Cary, btw.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,099,536 times
Is yours working like a champ?

All I do is surf - the kids stream - but I'm getting no faster page speeds than before.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,098,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Is yours working like a champ?

All I do is surf - the kids stream - but I'm getting no faster page speeds than before.
Yup. So far, so good. We can get just over 900 regularly minus our firewall and half that with. Which is fine. I prefer the firewall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary